IGNORED

Programming Assistance from a TI- Guru Needed

Omega-TI

Okay. So it leads me to conclude that the F18A is displaying 48 lines each 8 pixels high on that screen.

The F18A is generating its image in VGA resolution (640x480, or 512x384 without borders) so displaying 80x48 characters of 8x8 pixels without left/right border is possible.

The F18A is generating its image in VGA resolution (640x480, or 512x384 without borders) so displaying 80x48 characters of 8x8 pixels without left/right border is possible.

Guess you meant to say, 512x384 with borders ? 64x48 characters of 8x8 pixels apparently is possible - with the F18A as is. The other with 80 columns was not on display ? Was it ?

Looks like I'm screwing this up bad somehow. Since I don't even own an F18A, I should not have commented on the original picture posted.

Edited by sometimes99er

No, he means the output VGA image is 640x480 pixels. The TI image is doubled on both axes (normally), so 256x192 TI pixels use 512x384 VGA pixels. The border area is what pads that up to 640x480.

80 column mode is based on the 9938, which uses 6-pixel wide characters, just like the 9918's 40-column text mode. So it's drawing 80x6 = 480 horizontal pixels at VGA resolution with a wider border (vertical resolution is the same).

There's no /direct/ way to use the higher resolution of the F18A. it /is/ possible using a GPU program and the horizontal counter to change data for every VGA scanline, such that getting 480 lines should be doable without too much hassle. I haven't personally tested whether the GPU can change data quickly enough for every HORIZONTAL VGA pixel (or indeed, whether it would even take effect. I suspect not as the bytes are probably not fetched for every VGA pixel. BG color might be... ;) )

But, I digress. No problem asking questions and trying to understand what's happening. :)

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread, I just started using the Emulator this evening and Tried the code above here is what I input in there.

10 CALL CLEAR
15 CALL INIT :: CALL XXB
20 CALL LINK("TEXT")
30 CALL LINK("INIT",1,40,40)
35 A$="012345678901234567890123456789"
40 CALL LINK("DISPLA",12,1,A$)
50 CALL KEY(3,K,S):: IF S=0 THEN 50
60 CALL LINK("GRAPH")
I selected the Ti Extended Basic and when I paste that code in to the Emulator I get this error message.
Subprogram Not found in 15.
Does anyone recommend a book for learning to program with the TI language?
Thanks.

I selected the Ti Extended Basic and when I paste that code in to the Emulator I get this error message.

This routine requires XXB, which is also included in the new Extended Basic v2.7s cartridge. Unfortunately, without the XXB data library you are calling routines that simply are not available. Sorry.

For books on the TI, you have LOTS to choose from, all free too! Go << HERE >>.

Interesting thread, I just started using the Emulator this evening and Tried the code above here is what I input in there.

10 CALL CLEAR
15 CALL INIT :: CALL XXB
20 CALL LINK("TEXT")
30 CALL LINK("INIT",1,40,40)
35 A$="012345678901234567890123456789"
40 CALL LINK("DISPLA",12,1,A$)
50 CALL KEY(3,K,S):: IF S=0 THEN 50
60 CALL LINK("GRAPH")
Thanks.

The reason you got subprogram not found is you are using TI Extended Basic.

This thread is talking about having a weird glitch with the F18A and using RXB - Which is better extended basic produced by Rich and has a ton of new calls and subprograms, so the code you typed in would not work at all on standard TI XB.

For books in learning programming on the TI99, I recommend visiting this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/153704-ti-994a-development-resources/

It has all the links you will need to get started.

The reason you got subprogram not found is you are using TI Extended Basic.

This thread is talking about having a weird glitch with the F18A and using RXB - Which is better extended basic produced by Rich and has a ton of new calls and subprograms, so the code you typed in would not work at all on standard TI XB.

The example code refers to Extended Basic v2.7, not RXB. 'CALL XXB' is only included in Extended Basic v2.7 and not in any other version of Extended Basic.

Let's not further confuse firepod. :)

Gazoo