IGNORED

Alien Final Version

GadgetUK

On 6/21/2022 at 4:39 AM, JagChris said:

When cycling through the characters if I stop at 1 and then tell them to move to a new room and when it tells me it's moving then I hit left to cycle to another character it stops what it was doing. Which I mean it stops moving the previous character. So if I don't stay on the character and move to another character before move is finished it will not follow through with the initiated move.

Thoughts. I don't think in general the motion sensor is very useful overall except when you're near the airlocks so in the future I think I'm going to take any motion sensors I get and just drop them by the airlock control so it's there when I need them.

Thanks!  I've fixed a tonne of bugs in 1.04, and made a lot of changes too.   The cycling thing - that must be either an older version, or what was happening is 3 people were already in the room you were trying to move to.  I might put a visual indicator in for that, if I can find enough bytes...  I've tweaked, fixed and added quite a lot in the next version.  It might go up around weekend.  I think 1.04 is much better than any previous version for a number of reasons.

• Thanks 1

Here's what might be the final version!  I might change the text stuff to use my own font and routine - not sure yet.  Other than that, just any bug fixes would mean a 1.05.

There are a lot of changes here, hit indicator, room power can go out if damage > 40%, at which point you need to use the ducts (via grille) to access or get past a blocked room.  Computer is more fleshed out - also a small game within the game there.  You can see who the alien is attacking now too, a few new samples too.  Sound test screen is there too, as well as a tonne of fixes, tweaks and things. 

If you've played previous versions its worth going into the "how to" part from main menu, or watch the stream I did covering some of the changes in 1.04.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpec57qet78qjir/Alien1.04.zip?dl=0

• Like 3

There will be a 1.05, possibly a 1.06 at this rate lol.  Fixed a lot more stuff, including a change to allow right on d-pad to go through ALL of the crew dealing with the Alien.  Fixed a few more things today, but more optimisation that's allowed me do do more features.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 3:58 PM, GadgetUK said:

Thanks!  I've fixed a tonne of bugs in 1.04, and made a lot of changes too.   The cycling thing - that must be either an older version, or what was happening is 3 people were already in the room you were trying to move to.  I might put a visual indicator in for that, if I can find enough bytes...  I've tweaked, fixed and added quite a lot in the next version.  It might go up around weekend.  I think 1.04 is much better than any previous version for a number of reasons.

I tried 1.03 yesterday again. Didn't have the cycling problem this time. Maybe it was a crowded room.

Watched the new video. I may have missed it but did you put in the different attributes? i.e. the engineer being faster at fixing rooms etc.

On 7/2/2022 at 7:40 PM, JagChris said:

I tried 1.03 yesterday again. Didn't have the cycling problem this time. Maybe it was a crowded room.

Watched the new video. I may have missed it but did you put in the different attributes? i.e. the engineer being faster at fixing rooms etc.

Yes!  That's 1.05!  Also speed improvements, freed up 800+ more bytes and fixed a lot more stuff.  Couple of new minor features too.   Holding off on 1.05 as I am aiming for that to be the final release.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WesleyrpgAust said:

Hey Gadget, it's one of your long time supporters here!

Are you going to allow that final version to be published by someone like Songbird productions who have the tools to publish games for the Atari Lynx?

How's he going to do that? He'd have to get the rights to one of the biggest IPs around?

He's said before he has no intention of doing that. It's a labor of love.

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1

Possible bug report. Classic mode medium difficulty. As soon as the game starts up cycling left through the characters the game will freeze the minute it hits a dead character.

I'll have to check this see if it happens in the enhanced mode and I'll have to check to see if I got a corrupted download as well.

I just tried enhance mode with the same effect. As soon as it hits a dead character the game freezes.

Can anyone else verify this is happening on their end in version 1.04?

Edited by JagChris

On 7/6/2022 at 9:06 AM, WesleyrpgAust said:

Hey Gadget, it's one of your long time supporters here!

Are you going to allow that final version to be published by someone like Songbird productions who have the tools to publish games for the Atari Lynx?

No, it doesn't need publishing - nearly everyone has an SD cart these days anyway.  Licensing would be a problem.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

This "might" be the final version... I lost my cat just before I finished the changes that went into this build.  Just after I lost her I did a mod to include my cat in place of Jones (when cheat mode is enabled) - just as a memory of her.  But despite squeezing that change in (and it was BODGED in), I dont have the morale to tidy up that code to clean it up etc.  But it performs fine and to my knowledge there aren't any bugs - except possibly the end screen scoring.  I might re-test that and release a 1.06 when I feel more positive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yz3p5ij2lpeztrp/Alien 1.06.zip?dl=0

EDIT: OK, PROPER 1.06 there now... Sorry it took like 5 attempts...

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

15 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

Awesome!  Great work Gadget!!

Thanks =D  I spotted what I hope is one of the final bugs...  If you die when using the Harpoon, and the Alien is attacking that character, they die - and then die again when the Alien hits them - LOL

I fixed that today and increased ver to 1.07.  I will hold off releasing that until I've worked out if there are any other bugs.

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Tried to play this online at Atari gamer but it doesn't boot. 

There's a problem with the emulator that it sometimes doesn't load, I suggest you use an emulator that's not in the web browser. I'll be removing the online emulator in the future anyway.

• Sad 1