IGNORED

Taking the scratches out

atari2600land

You probably can't remove the scratches, but you can probably minimize their noticeability. You would need some kind of product that replenishes and revives plastic. Similar to what Armor All does for tires. Not sure where you would find that though. If you find something, let me know.

Edited by SoulBuster

The "scratches" are more or less a wearing-down of the textured surface. Under a microscope the scratches look smoother than the rest of the cart.

A temporary solution is to conceal them with something like Armor All. But be aware that products like this like to creep along the surface and after several years makes its way to the labels and accelerate actiplaque. If the applied product doesn't get there by creeping, it will get there by proximity & evaporation and contact transfer by touching.

You can try re-texturing the surface. I don't know how, but I don't think just sanding the lines would be enough. It would still stand out with contrast. There's probably another method I'm not aware of.

Interesting topic.

There is a polish that can make it look pretty good. It is a red powdery stuff that is used to polish metal. I forget what it is called. I had a neo geo that had the surface rubbed out to where the rubbed parts were grey. I rubbed this compound on it and the neo geo looked brand new and stayed that way. Also you can try mothers aluminum polish. Or some other mothers polish. They are sold at auto parts stores.

Edited by pimpmaul69

The "scratches" are more or less a wearing-down of the textured surface. Under a microscope the scratches look smoother than the rest of the cart.

A temporary solution is to conceal them with something like Armor All. But be aware that products like this like to creep along the surface and after several years makes its way to the labels and accelerate actiplaque. If the applied product doesn't get there by creeping, it will get there by proximity & evaporation and contact transfer by touching.

You can try re-texturing the surface. I don't know how, but I don't think just sanding the lines would be enough. It would still stand out with contrast. There's probably another method I'm not aware of.

Interesting topic.

I didn't think about that, but you are right about creeping product.