IGNORED

Got the new GBA SP

Heh heh... Freedom Fries. Just like Freedom Toast :).

I got mine too, called about 10 stores and finally got one that didnt require a preorder. They had 1 left, and it was platinum, so $106 later I can finally stop squinting. Great system!

I'm guessing somebody broke the street date, because EBGames.com sent me a notice the other day that my order had been shipped, and I wasn't expecting it would be until Monday morning. That's okay by me, because I'll get it today or Monday - but either way I'll definitely have it before I leave for PC!

BTW I was playing Metroid with one last night at Wal*Mart, and it was a breath of fresh air. For all the complaints about it being too small, I actually found it was quite comfortable to use, and the screen light really made a difference in gameplay even in a brightly lit store. Two thumbs up!

I got one on Monday. I like it. It's pretty cool.

I put it through its paces yesterday. A friend and I sat down with the NES version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms II. Since Rot3K2 is a turn based game, and since it sometimes takes a while for one player to finish so you can do your turn, we alternated playing the new gameboy between our Rot3K2 turns.

The screen was very nice. We never had to crane into a strange position to get the light we needed. The screen looked very vivid on Gradius Galaxies, Gyruss, Galaxian, Galaga, and most of the harder-to-see-what's-going-on games.

The controls kind of suck. The D-Pad and front buttons don't feel very satisfactory at all and are somewhat recessed into the system casing. The shoulder buttons are cramped behind the folding screen and are clicky, but they feel really loose (like they might be about to pop off the system). Plus, since the GBA-SP is a vertical oriented handheld, it meant the D-Pad and front buttons were too close together. Overall, the system just feels tiny and cramped, and I don't exactly have big hands. I definitely prefer the layout and feel of the regular GBA to the GBA-SP.

The initial battery charge that the system had didn't last long. After 4 hours of play with the screen light, the battery warning light came on. The power didn't die, but it wasn't a good omen. I recharged it last night, so we'll see if power performance improves.

For those wondering about a headphone jack, the GBA-SP does not technically have one. To get a headphone adaptor, you have to order one from Nintendo. This headphone adaptor plugs into the AC adaptor slot, meaning that you probably can't use the AC adaptor with a headphone.

The GBA-SP comes with the AC adaptor (and it is incompatible with the regular GBA). This adaptor is used for recharging the built-in battery and also for playing the system from a wall outlet. The GBA-SP can also be played while you are recharging it. Recharging takes 3 hours according to the manual. My GBA-SP had been recharging for 2 hours before I went to sleep, and was finished when I woke up. So, I can't verify if the 3 hour figure is accurate.

Overall, I was happy with my purchase. It definitely served its purpose as something portable to play games on.

The initial battery charge that the system had didn't last long.  After 4 hours of play with the screen light, the battery warning light came on.  The power didn't die, but it wasn't a good omen.  I recharged it last night, so we'll see if power performance improves.

Just checking Gabriel, but you do realize you were supposed to give it a full charge before using it for the first time, right? The phrase "initial charge" makes me suspect you used it right out of the box. I hope other people don't make this mistake.

I played mine right out of the box, but after running the power out, i charged it for the full 3-4 hour charge. I was hoping nintendo would put some juice in them so you could test it right out of the box without having to wait for 3 hours to play. They did and I suspected that it wasn't a full charge after the power ran out rather quickly. Like I said before, I gave mine a full charge after the factory juice ran out and I haven't had to charge it for about 5 days now and I've been playing it rather generously.

Minty

I'm guessing from what people are saying then that a lot of people assume when a rechargeable battery comes "packed in" with a phone, game system, camera or whatever that it's "good to go" straight out the box. I've learned that's definitely not true. It's not only expensive and time-consuming for the manufacturers to give them a full charge before shipping, it's a liability because the charge can gradually erode in the box and if they sell it as "full charged ready to go" and it's not they can be sued for making false claims.

Basically, anything you buy with a rechargable battery should get a full charge first BEFORE you use it. Not only will this give it the kind of long life you expect. but it also establishes the latency of the charge it will hold. If you use something on a half-charge and then don't give it a full charge, you're actually shortening the life of the rechargeable.

Wal-Mart will probably not get fined for anything...in fact they fine the people who they purchase from more than you could imagine...lol.

Wal-Mart has the majority of the big brand companies by the balls...so to speak.

I was going to get a GBA, but I think I'm going to go with the GP-32.

Mock

Basically, anything you buy with a rechargable battery should get a full charge first BEFORE you use it.  Not only will this give it the kind of long life you expect. but it also establishes the latency of the charge it will hold.  If you use something on a half-charge and then don't give it a full charge, you're actually shortening the life of the rechargeable.

I actually learned this first hand with my cell phone. It got to the point that the battery would only last about 10-15 minutes before it went dead. Now I leave my new one on for hours to make sure all the charge is out before I recharge.

And I am still debating with Starscream about getting my son the GBA-SP for his B-Day in April. (Mostly I want it to play the Castlevania games available :) )

I actually learned this first hand with my cell phone. It got to the point that the battery would only last about 10-15 minutes before it went dead. Now I leave my new one on for hours to make sure all the charge is out before I recharge.

*nods* Cordless phones will learn ya quick; especially when you have to buy a replacement rechargeable (or chuck it and get a new better phone). Can I say been there, done that with family at least once already. :P

And I am still debating with Starscream about getting my son the GBA-SP for his B-Day in April. (Mostly I want it to play the Castlevania games available  :)  )

I bought Circle of the Moon when they went on clearance just in anticipation of being able to play it on SP. I'm glad I did. :D

Hows the light compaired to the lights on the game gear and the lynx? How big is the screen? Is it compatable with gameboy and gameboy color games like the regular GBA's are?

1) Since I've never owned a Game Gear or a Lynx, I'm definitely not one to do a comparison on that point.

2) The screen is the exact same size as on a regular GBA.

3) It is compatible with all the games the regular GBA is, in other words, all gameboy games.

I got my GBA SP on Sunday at Circuit City. They were selling fast, since they included a free copy of Defender with it! After I bought it, I put my GBA up on eBay to try and recoup some of my investment. Now, I'm thinking of cancelling the auction and keeping both. Why? I'm finding the control layout on the SP to be more uncomfortable to use than on the original GBA- My thumb keeps slipping on the + button (they should have made it rubber, or put grooves on it... and the placement of the 2 upper buttons on the corners always makes me hit them by accident, since you have no where else to rest your index fingers. Let's just say it's alot easier to play Time Pilot (on the Konami Arcade classics) with the original GBA than on the SP. Other than that- the screen and light looks great! I also like how it folds up into a compact package.