IGNORED

PC Arcade Joysticks? X-Box?

Torr

I really like how most PC games being released today natively handle an X-Box controller without any setup/whatnot, finally a 'standard' in PC Game Pads.

However what I would like is an Arcade styled Joystick, like the X-Arcade sticks.

Are those 100% PC/X-Box compatible? I'm never going to actually use it on an X-Box, so I guess to hammer home the point, what I want is a high quality arcade style joystick (probably 2) that are reasonably priced that will be as compatible with modern PC releases as a standard X-Box controller. No messing around with certain drivers that games won't recognize or having to map the Joystick buttons to keystrokes and whatnot... and I really don't want to spend a fortune on it just to have the HIGHEST QUALITY!/ALL STEEL!/ETC! A good balance in quality versus price.

Some people here must do this, what do you guys use?

Edited by Torr

The X-Arcade sticks are expensive, and you will have to buy an XBOX 360 adapter separately, which is also expensive. They also feature parts that are more or less like what you would have found in arcades in the late '80s and throughout the '90s (teardrop style joysticks, concave HAPP buttons, etc).

You could try to get a Hori arcade stick for the 360, they can run anywhere from $40 to $100, depending on the type, whether it's new or used (like an older Dead or Alive 4 stick), etc. Those sticks have more in common with what you typically find in Japanese arcades though-- ball sticks, convex buttons, etc.

Here's a mid-range Hori stick, straight from the source. $70, NIB. Plug 'n play. http://stores.horiusa.com/xbox-360-fighting-stick-vx/

The Hori EX2 is even cheaper, and has a standard six-button layout (instead of the eight). Starland has one for $45: https://www.estarland.com/Xbox360.cat..product.29572.html

I personally used the EX2 for a long time. Seems to be pretty solid as long as you don't go punching it. ;)

It is also a bit smaller than the last one I linked to, which can be beneficial as well and more suitable to lap use.

I have build my own controller using :

An I-Pac2 keyboard emulator

ipac2_diag.jpg

With two PowerStick Plus. I can change 4/8 direction just by pulling the stick up and turning.

t-stik_plus.jpg

+ many push buttons.

2 per player + 8 more to manage the player 1 start, player 2 start, add coins, Escape, tab, ...

I also have a 4 way joystick that I can rotate 45 degrees to play Q*Bert and Congo Bongo. (E-Stick)

This one is not fix on my panel, I have to remove the player 2 joystick.

E-Stik.jpg

I eventually would like to add a track ball.

It's not cheap but it's solid and you can customize it to make it similar to the games you most often play.