IGNORED

Any reason to upgrade to 1megabyte?

Gio_16bits

Also some of the larger TIP animations.

And a Dos that recognises 1 Meg properly would allow a nice big Ramdisk.

Worth it? Probably - Ultimate 1 Meg gives other features like RTC, resident SparaDosX, 4 OS choices and ability to have programmed cart images onboard. For cost, features, ease of installing it surpasses practically all the other internal Ram upgrades.

320K gives the best compatibility boost compared to 64K, 128K or 256K.

The benefit of larger memory is (for me) this:

You can create a ramdisk above the 320K that is not touched by 320K software. When your ramdisk is battery back upped (like mine) it will usually not lose it's content, even if you run software that needs more ram.

So I can run NUMEN demo (320K) and then switch back to my coding project, that is on my battery-backupped ramdisk.

When it comes to compatibility alone, I think 1MB is not the best choice at all; well you'll need a switch to set it in 320K or 576K modus.

Indeed the Ultimate 1MB upgrade has this feature, and a lot more. When you are into internal-upgrades, this is absolutely the best upgrade you can add to your atari.

These days I'm more concentrating on stock atari's and external solutions, like the TurboFreezer (which is excellent for the 600xL, since the 600XL has 5V on PBI by default!). The Turbo Freezer turns your 64K 600XL into a 576K machine. How cool is that? Just external plug-and-play device!

• Like 1

One of the most RAM eating things is SDX drivers.

As I remember each of them place itself in 16k window even if it's size is 2k.

Then this window marked as "in use" and new driver may be placed in another 16k portion of memory.

Evidently Konrad can say all about this.

Best wishes.

That is only partially accurate. Indeed, there may be a driver like that. But most of the time, the moderate size of the binary does not mean that the program does not actually require 16k. This is the case with env.sys (~800 bytes size, uses the full 16k it occupies), doskey.sys (~3.5k size, uses full 16k), fatfs.sys (~3.8k size, uses full 16k), con64.sys (~6.5k size, uses 12k out of 16k it occupies).

There are two drivers, which load to ext, but actually use much less than 16k: rc_gr8.sys takes the entire bank, but uses only 8k out of it, and con.sys, which also loads to a bank, and indeed uses only 2.5k. However, these two, when used together, share the same bank. So in fact it is not so wasteful as it may seem at first glance.

• Like 3

Well,

I did it ;-) I upgraded my 800XL with the Ultimate.

Why? Because I was able to do it ;-)

Do I desperately need a 8bit computer at all?

No. Of course not!

But I can recommend you the ultimate 1MB

A lot of features you "could" use, if you should need it.

Build in is almost solderless.

Next thing you will need is a "SD to SIO" device.

But be warned: That hobby is addictive... ;)

Stefan

• Like 1

Well,

I did it ;-) I upgraded my 800XL with the Ultimate.

Why? Because I was able to do it ;-)

Do I desperately need a 8bit computer at all?

No. Of course not!

But I can recommend you the ultimate 1MB

A lot of features you "could" use, if you should need it.

Build in is almost solderless.

Next thing you will need is a "SD to SIO" device.

But be warned: That hobby is addictive... ;)

Stefan

i already bought the SIO2PC. Since I have a laptop it won't be much of an issue.

Well,

- 4096k RAM is enough... says the Mega-ST4 lover !

- 2048k RAM is enough... says the Mega-ST2 lover !

- 1024k RAM is enough... says the Atari 1040ST lover !

- 512k RAM is enough... says the Atari 520ST lover!

- 128k RAM is enough... says the Atari 130XE lover!

- 64k RAM is enough... says the Atari 800XL lover !

- 48k RAM is enough... says the Atari 800 lover!

- 16k RAM is enough... says the Atari 400 / 600 XL lover !

- 128 Bytes RAM is enough... says the VCS 2600 lover !

Conclusion: Add as much RAM as you want to ! Do not care what others say !

Do not search endlessly for programs that utilize your RAM fully. If you add the RAM, you will find programs that partially or fully use it (or at least one program that you like so much, that it was worth it for you to add the RAM)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 6

But going back to your original question, "is there any reason..."

Presuming that the reason is not just "because I can," I really can only think of one -- so that you get the 4 flashable OS in the "Ultimate." There certainly are other ways to get multiple OS -- either eprom or the Atarimax 32-in-1 OS module.

How much ram do you really need as a practical matter? 320K is plenty. I've had a 1 MB XE since the 90's (Newell). It sits quietly in a box in my garage. Seemed like a really good idea at the time.

Maybe if/when we get 65816 accelerators, the need for ram will change, but those accelerators will come with linear ram onboard.

Personally, I sure like the convenience of the "plug and play" Ram 320XL (and soon,hopefully, the Ram 320XE). The only issue with the Ram 320XL is that the PBI does not pass through, so that means it will not cooperate with a PBI hard drive. The new Ram 320XE should be available with pass-through, or there are other alternatives for a HD.

-Larry

But going back to your original question, "is there any reason..."

Presuming that the reason is not just "because I can," I really can only think of one -- so that you get the 4 flashable OS in the "Ultimate." There certainly are other ways to get multiple OS -- either eprom or the Atarimax 32-in-1 OS module.

How much ram do you really need as a practical matter? 320K is plenty. . . .

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, around 1981.

I personally feel that more is better. My 1M Incognito 800 and U1M 1200XL are a pleasure to use, and I know that when larger software is written, I'll be able to run it.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, around 1981.

I personally feel that more is better. My 1M Incognito 800 and U1M 1200XL are a pleasure to use, and I know that when larger software is written, I'll be able to run it.

If you run something that *really* requires 1 MB, then you most likely will be running something in linear ram on a 65816 (including the ZX emulator which requires 448K of linear memory).

I guess if anything ever really appears for a 6502 that requires 1 MB, I may have to get that 1 meg 130XE out of the garage. But good to know that I'm prepared -- I've been waiting since about 1990...

-Larry