IGNORED

Namco Museum (PS1) Volumes 1-5 release date

cimerians

I think all the Namco Museums for the PS1 are being released tomorrow...I cant confirm. I read it somewhere last week and now I cant google anything about it.

Some of these were really good and others not that great. I can't remember which one's were worthy purchases. I'm a sucker for compilations (I buy them and rebuy them all the time) and I may dip into this even though I still own a few of them.

I noticed these on the Japanese PSN a couple of weeks ago. I wondered why they couldn't have been a US release as well. I guess they will be soon.

I wonder if Super Pac-Man on the Vol 2 disc would be better than the one in the Pac Man Collection downloadable game? The one in Pac-Man Collection is almost impossible to control. Not to mention the Ms Pac Man game has the sound completely hosed.

I remember the Pac-Man games being pretty awful on those Namco Museum collections. Everything was scrunched down, making them the furthest thing from arcade perfect. That's acceptable on, say, a ColecoVision, but on the much more powerful PSOne it was just inexcusable. They tried to pull the same crap on the Dreamcast and irate programmers designed their OWN faithful emulation of Pac-Man on the system, just to show them how it should have been done.

I can't say much about A, C, and O, but I have both N and M and they were, to be kind, unsatisfactory. I've also played ® which was released exclusively in Japan, and that one's pretty good if you're up for some gaming obscurities. I don't think that'll be released in the States, though.

Yeah the Pac-Man game sucked but I think some of them were ok. I can't remember.

I may fire some of them up today and check which ones were worthy.

I wonder if Super Pac-Man on the Vol 2 disc would be better than the one in the Pac Man Collection downloadable game? The one in Pac-Man Collection is almost impossible to control. Not to mention the Ms Pac Man game has the sound completely hosed.

Yes the one in the collection is impossible to control, I used to play Super Pac-Man in the arcades way back when and this version is possibly the worst.

I remember the Pac-Man games being pretty awful on those Namco Museum collections. Everything was scrunched down, making them the furthest thing from arcade perfect.

It was a bit of a necessary evil. The original Museum games were not arcade emulations, but I think Namco still tried to use as much of the original arcade graphics and logic as possible. Since the PS1 doesn't offer much in the way of smooth scaling, getting those graphics to fit on screen required some creative re-pixel-ing, which of course lead to a very "scrunched down" look and feel. However, if you're willing to flip your TV on its side, the originals Museum discs let you play games like Pac-Man in portrait mode, making them look much more faithful to the arcade originals.

They tried to pull the same crap on the Dreamcast and irate programmers designed their OWN faithful emulation of Pac-Man on the system, just to show them how it should have been done.

Yes, NamcoMuseum for the Dreamcast, and as originally released for the PS2/XBox/GC generation, were sorely lacking. Those systems are perfectly capable of smoothly scaling the original graphics, but Namco and their hired developers still took the cheap way out. The PS2/XBox/GC releases made up for it somewhat by including newer "Arrangement" titles, but Namco wasn't fully absolved of their sins until they hired emulation maestros Digital Eclipse to use actual arcade code in the rerelease, NamcoMuseum 50th Anniversary.

I can't say much about A, C, and O, but I have both N and M and they were, to be kind, unsatisfactory. I've also played ® which was released exclusively in Japan, and that one's pretty good if you're up for some gaming obscurities. I don't think that'll be released in the States, though.

If you don't like "N" and "M" because of the play quality, you probably aren't going to get much out of the other titles. "N" and "M" had the biggest titles, the ones that got recycled in pretty much every version of NamcoMuseum afterward. "N" and "M" were the only ones to stay in print and get new covers that showed off the game graphics and logos. As far as the offerings go, "A" is pretty good since it includes Mappy, Xevious, Super Pac-Man and Galaga sequel Gaplus. "C" and "O" have a lot of obscure titles, but "C" does have Pac-Land and "O" has Pac-Mania, requiring Pac-Man fans to get the whole set if they want the series.

• Like 2

Wow....the games look a LOT better today on an LED screen and with smoothing on. I picked up the first two volumes and gave them a try on my 42" LED and turned on smoothing. They look way better than what I had in the 1990's. :-D

I'm tempted to pick up all the volumes because they look a lot better.

• Like 2

Eh... I don't see the point in paying money for not-that-great emulation. Why not emulate the games properly, or collect the actual N-A-M-C-O discs & cases as they were clearly intended? Seems either is a better option than paying money to download ROMs for a PS1.

Eh... I don't see the point in paying money for not-that-great emulation. Why not emulate the games properly, or collect the actual N-A-M-C-O discs & cases as they were clearly intended? Seems either is a better option than paying money to download ROMs for a PS1.

I agree but I'm just a nostalgia and compilation freak. Brings back memories when I played these in the 90's.

Besides these games don't exist on the PS3....and Super Pac-Man plays well.

I know I know...play them on a modded Xbox with Coin-ops or on a PC with MAME. Come on now let me just enjoy my inanity tonight.

:)

• Like 3

Yes Super Pac-Man plays well, my hi score in this version is 190,000 and scored 92,000 just a short while ago. Pretty much worth buying for me just so I can play this game on the PS3.

Hey, look, I'd be playing Namco Museum Battle Collection on my Vita if they let me. For some peculiar reason, lots of PSP games don't work on the Vita, unless you have a Playstation 3 as well. It's ALSO the reason I can't play Suikoden on my Vita. You know, because the people who make Playstation products are money-grubbing jerks.

Hey, look, I'd be playing Namco Museum Battle Collection on my Vita if they let me. For some peculiar reason, lots of PSP games don't work on the Vita, unless you have a Playstation 3 as well. It's ALSO the reason I can't play Suikoden on my Vita. You know, because the people who make Playstation products are money-grubbing jerks.

So if you wanted to play it on your Vita, you'd need to download it on your PS3 then transfer it to the Vita? That's stupid. I thought it was emulation issues or something. Guess I was wrong about how stupid Sony can be at times.

• Like 1

Guess I was wrong about how stupid Sony can be at times.

Re: their consumer electronics, their menus, button layout and general ergonomics are totally counter-intuitive. Have been for decades. Human beings are from Earth. Sony developers, engineers and marketing personnel are from somewhere else. ;)

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/mario-maker/

I agree but I'm just a nostalgia and compilation freak. Brings back memories when I played these in the 90's.

Besides these games don't exist on the PS3....and Super Pac-Man plays well.

I know I know...play them on a modded Xbox with Coin-ops or on a PC with MAME. Come on now let me just enjoy my inanity tonight.

:)

Download the demo for Pac Man Championship Edition DX on the PSN.

It's amazing. Classic mode is there along with many other enhanced modes that are very fun to play. Controls are tight and responsive. Graphics and sound are like the original on overdrive.

I bought it after playing the demo dozens of times.

Don't forget that the original discs were playable from day 1 on the PS3. The only thing new here is that they're digital downloads.

For discs 1-3, I think these are rather expensive for a digital download when the real discs are easy to find.

Disc 4 and 5 are more rare and expensive thought, right? The only one I care about is Assault, but I've read that you need that twin stick controller to really play it, otherwise it is unplayable. I doubt it was fixed to use the two dual sticks on a standard PS3 controller. If they did, I would be happy enough with that.

Also, wasn't there a Namco collection specifically release for the 360 and PS3? Unless these old discs include a game for you that was otherwise never released, I don't see the point.

I believe that #2 is also a bit of a rarity, just like 4 & 5. But unlike 4 & 5, Namco Museum 2's North American lineup has reappeared in subsequent Namco Museums, including Cutie Q from the Japanese version which was removed for our release (The Japanese version also has Bomb Bee which hasn't popped up again, but it was stripped out for its Western release).

There's nothing here to fix where this specific game is concerned since the game code wouldn't require any modification. The question is if Sony's Playstation emulator for the PS3 has an emulation layer function that allows something like a Six Axis or Dual Shock 3 to be used in dual analog or flight stick mode for appropriate games.

Functionally, there's nothing stopping it since all the necessary buttons, analog sticks, and such are available on a PS3 gamepad. It's just a question if their emulation programmers implemented it for what amounts to a small subsection of the Playstation library. I'll have to dig out some games soon and see what happens, since I have numerous flight stick capable games in my collection.

It has been long enough since I utilized it where I don't even remember what the options screen offers for their emulator other than allowing the switching between digital and dual shock mode. But if it works for one, it will work for all of them.

Also, wasn't there a Namco collection specifically release for the 360 and PS3? Unless these old discs include a game for you that was otherwise never released, I don't see the point.

There's digital Namco content on the PS3, a full retail Namco Museum release on the 360 with a large lineup, and digital 360 releases.

But all of Namco Museum Volume 4 is exclusive to that old compilation for Western gamers, minus the arcade version of Pac-Land that recently made its 2nd appearance on home consoles via Pac-Man Museum, a digital compilation for the 360 & PS3.

Edited by Atariboy

But all of Namco Museum Volume 4 is exclusive to that old compilation for Western gamers, minus the arcade version of Pac-Land that recently made its 2nd appearance on home consoles via Pac-Man Museum, a digital compilation for the 360 & PS3.

That is a very good point about volume 4, but unless I can use a dual shock for Assault, I am not interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this would help with Assault on Volume 4

http://www.amazon.com/Barracuda-Interact-Controller-Playstation-SV-1133/dp/B001DTHN7U

I actually had one of these once. There was a mode that made the sticks work like twin stick controller so I wonder if this plus a PS to USB adapter would work.

Probably wishful thinking....

Maybe this would help with Assault on Volume 4

http://www.amazon.com/Barracuda-Interact-Controller-Playstation-SV-1133/dp/B001DTHN7U

I actually had one of these once. There was a mode that made the sticks work like twin stick controller so I wonder if this plus a PS to USB adapter would work.

Probably wishful thinking....

Hmmm....I have a PS1\PS2 controller adapter for the PS3. I wonder if I hook up that controller to it and try it out. 7 bucks ain't bad......