IGNORED

Impossible Mission

SolutionZ

So i am still hunting down a few 7800 titles for a resonable price i wanted to ask is impossible mission worth its price on ebay around $20.00 lose $35 cib.Also i found BasketBrawl for around the same price can i get some opinions on these games are they any good?I am sorry if i sound noob i assure you im not i just have never played impossible mission and when i read the write up on it i thought the actual game sounded nice just wanted to know how the game play is for it.With BasketBrawl i havent played that one since 91 so i cant remember if it was any fun or not so just welcoming some opinions about these 2 games.

Impossible Mission is a classic. A classic for the C64. The 7800 version is pretty decent, and certainly one of the best ports imo. However the NTSC version can't be completed due to a bug, so bear that in mind. You'd need to look out for the Possible Mission ROM on this site heh.

Ya'll want Possible Mission, the Impossible mission [hack], the real one (NTSC) is actually... impossible as some puzzle pieces are hidden in PCs and they are not searchable.

The ROM I think is 'around' and I think Albert can burn a cart?

Edited by FireTiger

Ya'll want Possible Mission, the Impossible mission [hack], the real one (NTSC) is actually... impossible as some puzzle pieces are hidden in PCs and they are not searchable.

The ROM I think is 'around' and I think Albert can burn a cart?

Might as well hack it further if it's going to be made into a cart. There are other posted hacks for it in the appropriate forums.

It was made into a cart- but that was a while ago.

If they want it for game play they should get the one they can actually beat.

If they just want one to complete the collection... that's diffrent.

Looked like game play was being talked about.

There was an error in the original NTSC programming, corrected for PAL- the error was corrected (nothing more) and put into a NTSC cart some time ago... That's all.

Might as well hack it further if it's going to be made into a cart. There are other posted hacks for it in the appropriate forums.

I could write some PLD code for Albert, so he can use the VersaBoard for this title, but I don't know if the narrow RAM exists in 8K (probably doesn't matter, just use 32K narrow RAM). This game requires 8K of RAM on the board. ;)

• Like 1

Im my hacked multicarts I used a 32K RAM, with one pin always up (or down) so to use only 16K [16K were very expensive compared to 32K] and I can attest all vintage Atari 7800 games which require extra RAM work in that setup (no matter if they need only 8K or actually 16K RAM).

In specific 8K RAM games:

(Im)possible Mission

Jinks

Tower Toppler

In specific 16K RAM games:

Plutos (prototype)

Sirius (prototype)

Summer Games

Winter Games

The RAM chip I used is an M5M5256 with A14 either in pull up or to GND (doesn't matter which way).

The actual Atari design for 16K RAM cards used a 32K with A14 to GND [at least in my Winter Games it did] while 8K actually used 8K [see Jinks] as they are cheaper.

I was scared that for the 8K RAM they mirrored the locations thus requiring A13 also to be up/down permantenly but instead they played nice and the full 16K mapped at the 0x4000 block work just fine.

Edited by phoenixdownita

This hack uses the completable game and has some updated graphics:

Impossible Mission (Graphics Hack)

There are 3 color variations in that pack and a novelty variation toward the bottom of the 1st post.

Has any known hack restored the digitized voice from the C64 original?

I'm guessing a version slightly modified to support the RAM on an XBoard or XM wouldn't require any cart-based RAMat the expense of not being able to be played on a stock 7800.

Has any known hack restored the digitized voice from the C64 original?

No, but the programmer posted on here a few years ago. He has the source and was talking of releasing an updated/fixed version. The idea of adding speech was mentioned in the topic as a possibility.

Also, he had California Games source and was trying to recover the data from disk. We haven't heard anything in quite a while, but maybe someone here has been in touch since and can give some insight.

No, but the programmer posted on here a few years ago. He has the source and was talking of releasing an updated/fixed version. The idea of adding speech was mentioned in the topic as a possibility.

Also, he had California Games source and was trying to recover the data from disk. We haven't heard anything in quite a while, but maybe someone here has been in touch since and can give some insight.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/135553-impossible-mission-guess-who/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/135595-california-games/