IGNORED

Your Opinion on Safecracker

Eric7100

I got it recently and like it quite a bit. I enjoyed the challenge of the navigation; you really have to let go of preconceived notions of direction (east, west, north, south) and replace those with colors. I does take a bit of getting used to before it is fun, so I can understand a lot of people not liking it, but it is just the kind of challenge I like and certainly different from anything else.

I loved this game in the middle 1980's, and played it a bunch. I found it intuitive and the gameplay came easy for me. The wonky driving seemed like typical Intellivision stuff and I just worked around it. I always wished the player could explore more of the city's buildings. This was one of those games that pushed the envelope but still left me wanting even more: more items, more mission objectives, more map, etc. But, being an Imagic title it delivered. In those days, my gaming buddies and I never hesitated to put money down for Imagic games for Atari or Intellivision. The games were almost always a cut above and the packaging was something to behold when new. Unboxing Imagic stuff is something we talk about to this day!

I enjoyed comparing Safecracker to Activision's Private Eye, and would sometimes alternate playing the two in a single session, conflating the two in my mind and imagining it was all part of a larger espionage game.

I've played Safecracker recently and I enjoy it as much now as I did three decades ago. I also recently re-read the EG review of the game from 1984, which was positive. I've attached a clipping if anyone is interested.

post-38578-0-19951600-1413616727_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I loved this game in the middle 1980's, and played it a bunch. I found it intuitive and the gameplay came easy for me. The wonky driving seemed like typical Intellivision stuff and I just worked around it. I always wished the player could explore more of the city's buildings. This was one of those games that pushed the envelope but still left me wanting even more: more items, more mission objectives, more map, etc. But, being an Imagic title it delivered. In those days, my gaming buddies and I never hesitated to put money down for Imagic games for Atari or Intellivision. The games were almost always a cut above and the packaging was something to behold when new. Unboxing Imagic stuff is something we talk about to this day!

I enjoyed comparing Safecracker to Activision's Private Eye, and would sometimes alternate playing the two in a single session, conflating the two in my mind and imagining it was all part of a larger espionage game.

I've played Safecracker recently and I enjoy it as much now as I did three decades ago. I also recently re-read the EG review of the game from 1984, which was positive. I've attached a clipping if anyone is interested.

A very nice read, indeed! :)