IGNORED

so the wife and kids are out of the house.....

Played a good half an hour of burger time and she freezes. Retested the voltage board and instead of running at 16v and discharging, the capacitors arr running at 25v steady. The bigger of the 2 capacitors is showing no resistance or charge so im going to guess its fried.

The power board in my Inty 1 (it's a PAL 3668 model) behaves exactly the same way on the unregulated line - steady at around 23-24V - and it works fine. I believe pin 3 is meant to behave that way when there's no load, it's an unregulated voltage. This is after I replaced the electrolytics and regulators on the power board.

+ 5 VDC --+ | |_| | 4.98V

+ 12 VDC --+ | |_| | 12.30V

+ 16 VDC --+ | |_| | 23.10V (unregulated)

+ 0 VDC --+ | |_| | 0V

- 2 VDC --+ |_|_|_| -2.166V

Did you get a chance to replace the parts on your power supply? If it still freezes, the next point of failure to swap out the RA-3-9600 RAM chip. This seems to be the reason more often than not for misbehaving Intellivisions.

- J

The power board in my Inty 1 (it's a PAL 3668 model) behaves exactly the same way on the unregulated line - steady at around 23-24V - and it works fine. I believe pin 3 is meant to behave that way when there's no load, it's an unregulated voltage. This is after I replaced the electrolytics and regulators on the power board.

+ 5 VDC --+ | |_| | 4.98V

+ 12 VDC --+ | |_| | 12.30V

+ 16 VDC --+ | |_| | 23.10V (unregulated)

+ 0 VDC --+ | |_| | 0V

- 2 VDC --+ |_|_|_| -2.166V

Did you get a chance to replace the parts on your power supply? If it still freezes, the next point of failure to swap out the RA-3-9600 RAM chip. This seems to be the reason more often than not for misbehaving Intellivisions.

- J

I actually had freezing on one of my systems until i replaced the crappy ribbon cable it had in it

The 3rd pin behaves the way it should with no load on it. Ie, it will disharge when you earth it out but only when its cold. After it freezes it behave differently, thats my concern.

I haven't had a chance yet. Been hectic at work this week. If it is a ram issue, that makes it harder. Finding parts is a bitch here.

The ribbon cable is pretty average. Also may be a bugger to get hold of. Looks like my best bet is going to be to shell out for a new unit and cannibalise. Unless the other one works of course.

I use new wires and solder the pins that go into the power supply plug to them then put shrink tubing on them so they dont make contact with each other.