IGNORED

Wishing for a new Intellivision Game - Mission X II

Mission X is the game that had so much potential to be one of the best games on the system but in the end just ended up being mediocre.

All you did was bomb stuff on the ground for points while avoiding missiles being shot at you and shoot down a few planes. The main problem is bombing stuff on the ground is fun for a while but that ends up being 90% of the game. There are very few planes to shoot down. As a kid i loved bombing things on the ground, but it eventually got repetitive. There is still a lot of satisfaction to blowing stuff up. lol

This game needs more planes to shoot at and a lot more variety of things to bomb just for fun. Buildings, People, etc.

Maybe more features could be added but if more plane fighting action was added you probably wouldn't need too many more features.

Here is some gameplay for it. You have to admit when the game turns to night time at about the 4:30 mark, the graphics are frickin sweet. But unfortunately you also have to wait 4 mins 30 sec into the game before you even fight any planes. That is a huge flaw as far as i'm concerned.

• Like 1

We all know the Intv hardware limitations and Mission X definitely shows them. I played it a lot in the 80's, got a lot of mileage out of blowing stuff up, but it did turn into kind of a "level grind" after a while and lost some fun factor as we played it.

I think the fun factor could get turned-up if it offered simultaneous 2-player, missiles that could be shot out to defend the plane, different kinds of ground-to-air weapons, more variation in the enemy planes. Hmm, maybe the choice to have different types of planes or outfit it differently like something more agile for fighter-fighter combat vs a big bomb config so if it flies high it is really slow but the bombs damage a larger area.

This game did have such a strong resemblance to River Raid, also...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The moving object limitations on the Intellivision could be dealt with in a Mission X update by not making the enemy shots MOBs - check out Phantoms 5 on the Apple II:

The enemy flak appears from the ground gun batteries as flashes, and then in a random time (.5-1.5 seconds), an explosion appears where they were shooting. So to dodge the flak, the plane has to move out of where the game calculates the explosion will be. Kind of hard to explain in text. But on the Intv, the shots could maybe be background, or if they have to be MOBs they only exist for a moment when their shot is fired. That leaves a lot of room for other animated things on the screen, or using more than 1 MOB for the plane so it can have additional color or detail.

• 2 months later...

Mission X was the first game I ever played on my Intellivision. It was included when you bought the console.

So even if it gets old pretty fast I have a soft spot for it...

A super-pro version would be cool!

Just realized today (which is why I brought up this thread) that Mission X is an arcade port from Data East/DECO Cassette System.

FQueAsL.jpg

EqAHdAl.jpg

Apparently the arcade version was not too good either. Watch this game review, lot of 1982 nostalgia, not just Mission X. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs9xuwL8wn0