IGNORED

Modding the RF Modulator

dphirschler

I have a busted RF Modulator, and the thought has been going through my head to mod it. Basically, I want to convert it into a straight A/V cable. It’s a simple mod. Just cut off the RF box, and solder on RCA connectors for audio and composite video. So, before I start cutting, I thought I’d ask the question: Has anybody else considered (or tried) this? Is the video signal in that wire? Is the audio signal in that wire? Can it really be this simple?

Darryl

I have a busted RF Modulator, and the thought has been going through my head to mod it. Basically, I want to convert it into a straight A/V cable. It’s a simple mod. Just cut off the RF box, and solder on RCA connectors for audio and composite video. So, before I start cutting, I thought I’d ask the question: Has anybody else considered (or tried) this? Is the video signal in that wire? Is the audio signal in that wire? Can it really be this simple?

Darryl

Yep it's all in there!

6721.png

You can put on the connectors you need, or even buy a a nice cable on eBay.

Like this one << HERE >>

Or this one with a different AUDIO connector if needed << HERE >>

Of course there is always the BEST WAY.... << HERE >> It costs a few bucks more, but DAMN, you'll NEVER regret it!

• Like 2

the only people that should be uing RF modulator is ones still using TUBE TV-Sets for the real RETRO feel, but then you keep see the label 'Solid State Software' on the TI99 itself, meaning it has no TUBES in it.

Here is a neat question, how big, and how many tubes would it take to reproduce the TI99?

Hehe! :)

• Like 1

There must be something useful that these RF modulators can be used for.

I have a case of 50 brand-new ones in storage in Canada, never been touched by human hands.

At least the case can be useful, and video cable, but what for?

Metal cases like that can be useful for video applications where good shielding is required. They're hard to come by anymore, as everything is plastic nowadays. Rip the guts out and re-purpose them.

Gazoo

Just so I get this right... I see inside the case the connection are like so:

red "B+" (guessing +12V)

black "SYSTEM GND"

yellow (3) "AUDIO IN"

clear (4) "VIDEO IN"

bare (2) "VIDEO GND"

The video connection is easy as they are clearly labeled. The audio connection is the one I am not sure about. So I use the bare wire for the audio gnd, or black?

UPDATE: I cut an A/V cable in half and soldered video to clear. And then I twisted left and right audio together and soldered it to yellow. The grounds for both audio and video were soldered to black/bare (which I twisted together). Works perfectly.

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler
  • Like 1

For those of you mumbling about tubes--you have obviously not been introduced to Proton. Sven Dyroff had a TI-99/4A that was seriously damaged by a lightning strike. He was determined to resurrect it, using transistors and other discrete logic components to rebuild his beloved TI. He eventually had this nearly 3' by 2' board upon which all of Protons circuit cards (nice wire wrap thingies) were assembled and attached. He surrounded it with a cage made of some really stiff square-holed chicken wire (very small holes). Proton lived, and was an honored guest at several of the European TI Treffs. Here are some nice pictures of part of Proton, as seen from his keyboard. . .along with the GROM/GRAM/Bus Converter logic.

post-27541-0-82598500-1412912892_thumb.jpg

post-27541-0-88611800-1412912987_thumb.jpg

post-27541-0-75793100-1412913001_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Something so very cool and yet so very wrong with Proton.

What about using the old RF modulator cases to house a good A/V to HDMI adapter? Scalers seem to be getting difficult to find off-hand these days, and many are just stupid expensive (especially ones that work properly.) Might be a small side market alternative to the F18A for those who want to keep their system stock but work with the latest sets which do not have a composite input.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...