IGNORED

What 2600 games are you playing right now?

24Fanatic365

I've been going back to Berzerk lately, it still holds up better to me than many of the other old standards.

Berzerk on the 2600 is awesome and I agree... has held up extremely well throughout the years. Might like it better than the arcade actually. Or think it's as good as anyway. Have you tried Berzerk Voice Enhanced yet? Pretty neat hearing the 2600 say the iconic phrases. It's available in the store and probably as a download for play with the Harmony cartridge.

Hmmm, let's see... been playing a lot of the 7800 lately, but a couple 2600 games I've been getting into again is Space Rocks and that silly Cabbage Patch game. :lol:

Kinda wish your ship was a tad smaller in Space Rocks at times, but the game is darn near perfect IMO. Countless hours of fun to be had with that homebrew. Cabbage Patch took me by surprise with its graphics and sounds. Like that it's a little difficult too. Much less of a kiddie game than you might think and definitely less so than Smurf Rescue.

• Like 4

Berzerk on the 2600 is awesome and I agree... has held up extremely well throughout the years. Might like it better than the arcade actually. Or think it's as good as anyway. Have you tried Berzerk Voice Enhanced yet? Pretty neat hearing the 2600 say the iconic phrases. It's available in the store and probably as a download for play with the Harmony cartridge.

Hmmm, let's see... been playing a lot of the 7800 lately, but a couple 2600 games I've been getting into again is Space Rocks and that silly Cabbage Patch game. :lol:

Kinda wish your ship was a tad smaller in Space Rocks at times, but the game is darn near perfect IMO. Countless hours of fun to be had with that homebrew. Cabbage Patch took me by surprise with its graphics and sounds. Like that it's a little difficult too. Much less of a kiddie game than you might think and definitely less so than Smurf Rescue.

Am I missing something? Is there a Cabbage Patch Adventures in the Park for the 2600? I thought it was only released for the Colecovision. I actually like that game. A fun game that is like Pitfall and Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle combined. Is the 2600 version an unreleased prototype with a rom file?

I haven't tried it, but I will grab it and try it on Stella for sure!

Am I missing something? Is there a Cabbage Patch Adventures in the Park for the 2600? I thought it was only released for the Colecovision. I actually like that game. A fun game that is like Pitfall and Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle combined. Is the 2600 version an unreleased prototype with a rom file?

Yes... game is finished I believe:

http://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=2767

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/cpk/cpk.htm

I'm addicted to Dodge 'Em. Mi high score right now is 226. Also been playing a lot of Frankenstein's Monster, trying to beat it. Way more difficult than it looks. I think using a Sega controller would be a big help.

Anyone have any game recommendations for someone looking for early platformers and action/adventure games?

Already have..

Pitfall!
Pitfall II
Smurf
Frankenstein's Monster
Montezuma's Revenge
Jungle Hunt
H.E.R.O.

What else is there?

What else is there?

Pssst... look above you! Cabbage Patch Adventure. :)

And then to name a few:

Airlock (not really recommending, but it's a platformer of sorts - lol)

Blueprint

Burgertime

Cosmic Creeps

Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.

Dragonfire

E.T.

Fast Eddie

Fathom

Frogger 2

Frostbite

Ghost Manor/Spike's Peak

Halloween

Infiltrate

James Bond

King Kong

Kangaroo

Keystone Kapers

Krull

Kung Fu Master

Mega Force

Mr. Do!'s Castle

Mountain King

Popeye

Porky's

Q*Bert

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Spider-man

Superman

Tutankham

...and the Swordquest games I guess for "action and adventure", but again - not really recommending. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played some Pitfall 2 Lost Caverns for the 2600 High Score Club. Managed to score 164,370 points while obtaining the Diamond Ring and rescuing Rhonda, the cave rat, and Calamity the Lion. Overall one of my top favorite 2600 games of all time and the game with the best music for the system.

20160223_203006_HDR_zps5gnvv7te.jpg?w=48

• Like 1

Playing the Official Frogger. Since I don't have a Super Charger, I just fired it up on the emulator from my modded Xbox and gave it a whirl since it's the game this week for the 2600 High Score Club. It is faithful to the arcade game and I enjoy the music in this version. An added bonus I just figured out is I lime that you can scroll left and right while standing on a turtle or log without falling off. Great game!

Picked up Ms. Pac-Man, finally. Having a lot of fun with it. A little less rage-inducing than Jr. Pac-Man, at any rate, though both are still a joy to play. Also took the time to plug in Berzerk again, and it plays great; can't wait for the 7800 homebrew version I ordered to arrive when it does. Played them all on my new CX78 joypad that just arrived too, and it works really well with them.

Though, so far I think I've lost the most time overall to Pressure Cooker. Got a high-enough score in it to qualify for the patch and everything. Now if only they still gave those out...

• Like 1

The games I'm playing are usually the ones I've recently added to the collection. So, I've been playing Berzerk. I recently got a second copy of the game with an intact cartridge label and had to "test" it!

I have also been playing Demons to Diamonds. If someone asked me to list the best games on the 2600 I don't think that one would make my list but that game is strangely addicting for some reason.