IGNORED

Cheap WiFi Modem - potential simple hardware project.

kogden

I stumbled on these while cruising ebay earlier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-USR-WIFI232-B-SERIAL-TTL-RS232-TO-802-11-B-G-N-CONVERTER-EMBEDDED-WIFI-MODULE-/291217974548?pt=Home_Automation_Modules&hash=item43cdf1a514

Less than $20 for a WiFi<->TTL Serial interface board. If you bolt on half an Rverter without the MAX232 it should only cost a couple dollars to build a "WiFi Modem". And with half an RVerter bolted on, an existing serial interface wouldn't be necessary, just plug into SIO bus and go.

This wouldn't be useful for peripheral emulation but would be great for getting around the network with your Atari without being tethered to a PC. Could easily transfer files as well. Would anyone else be interested in something like this? I may get bored and try to slap one together.

Only problem I can see is squeezing more than 9600bps out of it. Might be able to hit 19200. Maybe. If the moon is right and stars are in alignment and you wrap your Atari in a rag soaked in chicken blood and do a naked rain dance.

--Kevin

Edited by kogden

I had a similar thought using the serial interface on an Arduino and the ethernet or wifi card attached to it. I have an Arduino which I use as SIO2PC connector and have slowly been working on adding SIO2SD to the same device. There are daughter cards for the Arduino that contain SD and WiFi/Ethernet so it probably wouldn't be too hard. Having a single device to handl SIO2PC, SIO2SD and SIO2WiFi/Ethernet is the ultimate goal. Using the Arduino mean no addition chip-based hardware is needed as the Arduino contains all the RS232-TTL-Programmable logic onboard.

Edited by TheEditor