IGNORED

TI-99/4a Cartridge Failure Help - Won't Boot Up

Jeremy Popp

I'm looking for help repairing a bad/failed Buck Rogers TI-99/4a Cartridge. I can solder and have a multi-meter, but still an amateur when it comes to this stuff.

Cart will not load, shows blank screen and typically loud beeeeeeep noise that goes on forever. It was free to me courtesy of Cschneider (thanks again!) when buying another cart. It has been tested on multiple functioning TI units.

I followed continuity from the tip of the cart all over the place with no breaks, it's also been cleaned a lot.

DSC09204.jpg
DSC09205.jpg

Is there a diagram that tells me what everything on the board is? I know the bottom right thing is a resistor, but no clue on the rest.

Is there a typical failing part for bad cartridges? Thanks for any help!

Jeremy

I'd make sure none of the diodes is shorted--and that the big cap in the middle is still good. The two smaller chips are GROM chips specific to the cart (part of the program is in them), and the big chip is the ROM. If there is a problem with either of the two small chips, you cannot get a replacement for them. You could burn a new chip of the ROM though. I'd put the most likely failure as one of the diodes or the capacitor though, as either of them will give the symptom you describe.

Thanks for more replies and ideas. This morning I verified the diods get 0.530 one direction and 0 the other. The resister is verified within spec 100 +/- 5%, and I replaced the capacitor with a 22uf 35v (original is 22uf 25v) with no change. So it's probably the ROM or GROM chips and I don't have the ability to recreate/repair these (that i know of).

Unless someone has other ideas, I'm going to offer it free to someone, just pay shipping - includes the shell/case which is white, and nice condition. $2.50 paypal should cover it, PM for details. Thanks.

Are you going to Chicago this year? There are lots of reuse opportunites for empty cartridge cases (for that matter, you can buy one of the 512K cartridge boards and an EPROM and fill it with one of the new multicart images). There are lots of use cases for an empty cart case these days--and we even make nice labels for them. . .

I don't think I'll be in Chicago (is there a TI convention?). I mostly play retro console games, but dabble a bit in TI stuff. Thanks for heads up on other uses, I'll look into it.

Hey, I'll be driving 700 miles to get there. You're just 300. :P Like Jim said, it's a lot of fun.

...lee