IGNORED

Coleco Adam Donkey Kong DDP Cassette

Trebor

Figuring some ColecoVision fans may be interested in seeing this, especially if they have never seen or known about it previously.

D(igital) D(ata) P(ack) cassette of Donkey Kong for the Coleco Adam. This is not the popular widely distributed hacked or hybrid versions (I.E. Super DK!); rather, the full DDP release featuring updated graphics, sounds, intermissions, animations and gameplay.

Some highlights include (complete) Pie/Factory level and springs on the Elevators level as well. Boards are presented in the original US Arcade order. Features high score recording and saving too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZtfaXJBB1Q

• Like 2

Indeed the ADAM Super Game version is a huge update over the released CV version as well as the 4 screen CV prototype version. It has been enjoyed by many over the years lucky enough to have an ADAM Computer or at worst via emulation.

There even was a disk version, albeit only through the efforts of a Homebrewer who disassembling the DDP version to convert it to run from Disk and then there is Phil Bolland's incredible replica Coleco disk labels and sleeves....

post-25956-0-49263900-1413080395_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-90846000-1413080402_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Trebor, on 11 Oct 2014 - 6:33 PM, said:

Figuring some ColecoVision fans may be interested in seeing this, especially if they have never seen or known about it previously.

D(igital) D(ata) P(ack) cassette of Donkey Kong for the Coleco Adam. This is not the popular widely distributed hacked or hybrid versions (I.E. Super DK!); rather, the full DDP release featuring updated graphics, sounds, intermissions, animations and gameplay.

Some highlights include (complete) Pie/Factory level and springs on the Elevators level as well. Boards are presented in the original US Arcade order. Features high score recording and saving too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZtfaXJBB1Q

Cool video but why did you disable the comments?

Actually just watched the video and noticed you played the game on Skill Level #1. I know you probably played it on this skill level to more easily make it through all the levels for the video, but to really showoff the game, you need to play it on Skill Level #3... which is arcade difficulty comparable. With most of Coleco's game releases, you really need to play on Skill Level #3 so as not to miss out on game elements.

Actually just watched the video and noticed you played the game on Skill Level #1. I know you probably played it on this skill level to more easily make it through all the levels for the video, but to really showoff the game, you need to play it on Skill Level #3... which is arcade difficulty comparable. With most of Coleco's game releases, you really need to play on Skill Level #3 so as not to miss out on game elements.

I remember that Skill Level 3 thing from when I was a kid, but are there any examples pages or lists comparing Skill 1 vs 3 to show what game elements would be missing on skill 1 for Coleco's releases?

Of course, each Coleco game is different concerning the skill level differences and in the case of DK it mainly revolves around the number of enemies on the screen at one time, the barrel movement on the girders level, the speed and aggressiveness with which enemies move, etc.

I don't recall any sites that go into detail highlighting all the differences, but do recommend trying at least Skill Level #3 on all Coleco releases that offer skill level selection because even though games started on skill level #1 ramp up in difficulty the farther into the game one gets, there still will be missing elements/enemies compared to starting a game on a higher skill level.

I don't recall any sites that go into detail highlighting all the differences, but do recommend trying at least Skill Level #3 on all Coleco releases that offer skill level selection because even though games started on skill level #1 ramp up in difficulty the farther into the game one gets, there still will be missing elements/enemies compared to starting a game on a higher skill level.

Right. For example, in Bump 'n Jump, you can play hours at skill level 1 and never see a truck dump a stash of dirt on the road. You need to play at skill level 2 or above to see those dump trucks.

It would be interesting to see what the differences are with each skill level in all the Colecovision games. I don't think such information has been documented anywhere. I was always playing #2 because #1 was obviously the easy/kids level so I thought #2 would be medium. I guess I should be playing #3? I didn't realized that there were special elements that might be only available in #3 and not #2 (I know #1 was missing stuff though).

So how do the skill levels rank then?

#1 - Easy / Novice

#2 - Medium / Standard

#3 - Hard / Arcade

#4 - Expert / Hard Arcade

It would be interesting to see what the differences are with each skill level in all the Colecovision games. I don't think such information has been documented anywhere. I was always playing #2 because #1 was obviously the easy/kids level so I thought #2 would be medium. I guess I should be playing #3? I didn't realized that there were special elements that might be only available in #3 and not #2 (I know #1 was missing stuff though).

So how do the skill levels rank then?

#1 - Easy / Novice

#2 - Medium / Standard

#3 - Hard / Arcade

#4 - Expert / Hard Arcade

That is essentially accurate. :)

For the most part, I've usually enjoyed skill level 1. Other than a few specific examples, like Smurfs, I can't recall finding it too easy. It would be nice though to see a list of all released games that are affected (other than difficulty) by a change in difficulty.

I played Skill Level 1 to make it more appealing and not overwhelming for newbie/newcomers. ;)

Skill Level 3 has a ridiculously hard Elevators board. The first appearance (Board 2, Round 2) under Skill Level 3, has the same difficulty as its third appearance in Skill Level 1 (Board 3, Round 4), and can be seen in the above video (~12:12 mark).

That is considerably beyond Arcade difficulty regarding two major components: 1) "fire-related" enemies on screen - three total, including one appearing on the left side where you begin [There are always only two total - middle between elevators & right-side - in the Arcade game on any level]. As well as, 2) the springs racing by at a pretty fast clip; in addition to their understandably lower (than Arcade) overhead clearance and hop span. :)

For the most part, I've usually enjoyed skill level 1. Other than a few specific examples, like Smurfs, I can't recall finding it too easy. It would be nice though to see a list of all released games that are affected (other than difficulty) by a change in difficulty.

I started a thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230773-coleco-skill-1-vs-skill-3/

Hopefully we can crowd source the answer.

• Like 2

Skill Level 3 has a ridiculously hard Elevators board. The first appearance (Board 2, Round 2) under Skill Level 3, has the same difficulty as its third appearance in Skill Level 1 (Board 3, Round 4), and can be seen in the above video (~12:12 mark).

That is considerably beyond Arcade difficulty regarding two major components: 1) "fire-related" enemies on screen - three total, including one appearing on the left side where you begin [There are always only two total - middle between elevators & right-side - in the Arcade game on any level]. As well as, 2) the springs racing by at a pretty fast clip; in addition to their understandably lower (than Arcade) overhead clearance and hop span. :)

I guess when you've played this version as much as I did BITD and then again recently for more testing, playing at skill level #3 becomes old hat. ;)

The springs actually gave me a bit of a challenge when I started playing this game again as I had forgotten how to move Mario so as to make it up the last short ladder.

I guess when you've played this version as much as I did BITD and then again recently for more testing, playing at skill level #3 becomes old hat. ;)

The springs actually gave me a bit of a challenge when I started playing this game again as I had forgotten how to move Mario so as to make it up the last short ladder.

I'm way too accustomed to the Arcade timings and (as mimicked to near arcade perfection by) the 7800 remake. The early start of faster pace Skill Level 3 springs reminds me of the faster play of 5200 Donkey Kong, and somewhat like Ocean's port under the C64. Both ports had that sped up on earlier levels sort of gameplay and faster than Arcade overall. Again, it could definitely turn away newcomers or those not that good at Donkey Kong in general. ;)

A little disappointing that they didn't set up proper Arcade placement of the 'safety zone' over the second elevator line in this port. :(

Anyhow, I did a quick play through at Skill Set 3 for those interested. It took me a turn or two to figure out where they placed the safe zone in this port, as the field is narrower and the overhead much lower, and as mentioned. not in the Arcade spot/area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x7xngxEzYY

Still a great port and a very nice upgrade from the ColecoVision original. :)