IGNORED

What do you prefer: PC or Game Consoles?

springning

When it comes to PCs I don't like having to "upgrade" perfectly functional parts JUST to play the latest video games at the best graphics settings,

I gotta admit, I DO like having the option of playing at the best settings when using a PC. Even with years-old parts.

• Like 1

I went from consoles in the 80s to PCs in the 90s and back to consoles today.

Three reasons:

1) I don't care about outputting super-high resolution. I'm more interested in sufficient polygons at a reasonable resolution.

2) Consoles are less hassle and are standardized.

3) Few or no hardware updates required per machine.

I play a lot more games on PC now. I've been out of the "AAA" rat race for awhile now. I just play smaller or obscure games that catch my interest. Lots of strategy and sim games. PC is the place for those.

I keep my eyeballs on what's going on with the consoles but most of the RPGs and stuff I want to play come out on 3DS. My PS4 isn't even plugged in right now.

I've been a lifelong fan of consoles, from the 2600 to the 360, but I recently switched the family over to a PC running steam and xbmc, and everybody is loving it.

PCs are less fiddly than they used to be, and consoles have become more fiddly after the manufacturers started building them like DRMed PCs.

We may miss some platform exclusives, but it's not like there's a shortage of good games to play.

PCs are less fiddly than they used to be, and consoles have become more fiddly after the manufacturers started building them like DRMed PCs.

Absolutely.

I play a lot more games on PC now. I've been out of the "AAA" rat race for awhile now. I just play smaller or obscure games that catch my interest. Lots of strategy and sim games. PC is the place for those.

Some sim "games" or sandboxes are really fantastic. Digital Combat Simulator (DCS), Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator, X-Plane, Space Engine. And more, but those are my current favorites.

Come to think of it, I've always been a simulator fan since day one beginning with A2-FS1 and Lunar Lander. Full-size real aircraft simulators approved by the FAA don't count here because they're not classic or home gaming related - but they bag the cat's ass every time.

Games. I love games with good gamestory.

More often than not, but not always, I prefer games without a storyline - so that I may impose my own imagination on to the game or simulation. Doom is a good first example that everyone knows. You're just a Space Marine. And that's it. Space Marine.

When it comes to PCs I don't like having to "upgrade" perfectly functional parts JUST to play the latest video games

You just reminded me that although I pre-ordered the collectors edition of Guild Wars and picked it up. Before I could actually play it, I had to spend about $150 on a new graphics card to play that one game.

Yeah that sucked.

• Like 1

I was exclusively PC for a few years (Diablo III, MMORPG's), but since then I've switched back to console gaming, and save the computer for internet surfing, emails, Facebook, and YouTube. My Atari 2600 is getting tons of love lately, and with the release of Fantasy Life on the 3DS in the next couple of days, my consoles have won back my gaming heart. I do occasionally play Star Trek Online (not every day, mind you, but at least once or twice a week), but that's about the only gaming I do on it, besides some dabbling with MAME.

I have a fairly competent PC at home, but the games are getting way harder to run on it, and I really don't have the money nor want to take the time to keep upgrading it. Consoles are dedicated for gaming, with some occasional updating required from my 3DS, but that's it. They require no boot time (especially the plug in, turn on, and play of the 2600), and in the 3DS's case, I can take it with me wherever I go. I know you can do that with a tablet or a laptop, but I have neither...so the 3DS is my portable choice for gaming.

Edited by wolfpaw1966