IGNORED

Atari 7800 Mockups & Sprites thread

ZippyRedPlumber

I made this thread by inspiration of the ColecoVision Mockups War & the Atari Free Sprites threads

Back in the Paperboy thread, I've discovered that there was a rumored CX number for Super Mario Bros.

So, I took it to myself to make sprites of what it might look like.

After I studied the sprites I've found through the 7800 forums I've finally made a few.

Here's what I've made so far. Note: I used Donkey Kong palette for Mario

post-37419-0-49578500-1413572871_thumb.png

• Like 1

I wouldn't call it a rumor, more like a straight up lie as there is no way in hell nintendo would have let it's golden goose loose on another system.

It's possible that there might've been an option clause on the licensing agreement between Atari Inc and Nintendo for Super Mario Bros. done back in 1982/1983.

It's possible that there might've been an option clause on the licensing agreement between Atari Inc and Nintendo for Super Mario Bros. done back in 1982/1983.

That doesn't make too much sense though given that SMB wasn't even released in Japan until late—September—1985. I doubt it was in development for that long. And 1982 doesn't make sense, since Mario Bros wasn't released in the arcades until mid-83.

That doesn't make too much sense though given that SMB wasn't even released in Japan until late—September—1985. I doubt it was in development for that long. And 1982 doesn't make sense, since Mario Bros wasn't released in the arcades until mid-83.

Bingo!

• Like 1

Also, Defender_2600, have I ever told you that you make great 7800 Mario sprites? They're even better than mine. :grin:

Defender_2600 has got it down to a science converting sprites from other platforms to the 7800. Here's a little more on Donkey Kong.

It was amazing watching him 'do his thing' as he meticulously brought over sprites and other designs from the Arcade to the 7800.

Some Double Dragon love here.

PAC-MAN-RED is another talented artist who does awesome work with sprites on the 7800 (See Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest for example).

I'm sure we will be seeing more great stuff in the future as well.

• Like 3

I was only speculating. After all, Nintendo did show Atari Inc some of the early Famicom games being developed while the console itself was in development.

I'm just curious as to how you are going about making the sprites. Are you using something like this GIMP solution or something else?

That's a good question, I use the Gimp solution sometimes. But for the sprites I made so far, I used other sprite examples for reference so I can stretch the Mario sprites. As for colors I used the Original Atari 7800 Donkey Kong palette.

Edited by ZippyRedPlumber

• 3 months later...