IGNORED

16 things wrong with 2600 Pac Man

Mind Master

17 Things Wrong With 2600 Pac Man

1. The background is blue- should be black.

2. The walls are brownish orange - should be blue.

3. The dots are dashes.

4. Pac Man doesn't point up and down.

5. Pac Man has an eyeball.

6. Control of Pac Man is horrid.

7. Tunnels are on top and bottom - should be on sides.

8. There are no bonus fruits.

9. The bonus "vitamin" is represented by a square.

10. The monsters do not have separate personalities.

11. The monsters are not different colors.

12. The monsters flicker uncontrollably.

13. The bonus item is the "vitamin" only - no progression.

14. The sound effect when "Pac Man" eats a "video wafer" is "dunk" rather than "waka waka" the way God intended.

15. There is no siren sound in the background.

16. Monsters eyes rotate randomly rather than looking where they're going.

it was a good game!! just not as good as the arcade one the only problem is you need more mazes

If it had been released under another name and didn't carry the Pac Man homage... its an okay game, the sounds effects cause ear-bleeding and headaches, those needed some serious changes, but the game itself is so-so.

Atari did redeem itself with Ms. Pac Man and Pac Man jr was exceptionally well done...

Curt

A yellow circular-shaped object that "consumes" on-screen pixels. Controlled by a joystick (the term used loosely in the 2600 version).

It has four differently-shaped objects that allows you to "consume" four other objects.

It has a single escape tunnel (though not in the correct orientation).

The game was designed to repeat indefinately until you run out of chances (which didn't work in the arcade version though).

ugggghhh..... please lets keep the Geo-political stuff out of these forums and keep it over at Off-Topic please.... these forums are a nice place to escape whats happening in the world so we can focus on videogames in particular, hope you understand the comment.

Curt

I was joking, I guess it wasn't obvious - sorry

I forgot to add that horrible, off-key opening "music" to the list of what's wrong.

I gotta get me a copy of "Pac Man Arcade" to cleanse my soul of the emotional damage suffered from Pac Man 21 years ago.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that pac man is slowly chewing his cud rather than rapidly opening and closing his mouth as in the arcade version.

I can't stop! AAAAAH!!!

:wink:

A yellow circular-shaped object that "consumes" on-screen pixels.  Controlled by a joystick (the term used loosely in the 2600 version).

It has four differently-shaped objects that allows you to "consume" four other objects.

It has a single escape tunnel (though not in the correct orientation).

The game was designed to repeat indefinately until you run out of chances (which didn't work in the arcade version though).

You can also move Pac-Man in four directions, and when you press the joystick one way, he continues that direction until he hits a wall.

I hate to disagree, but, the ghosts are different colors and have personalities. It is not nearly as pronounced as in the arcade version, however it is there to be seen. :idea:

I wish the game had scoring similar to the arcade version. 10 for a dot, 50 for an energizer, 200,400,800,1600 for ghosts, and progressive fruit scoring. It seems to make the gameplay exceptionally gruelling when you play for hours and never get 100,000. Tell someone your high score on Pac-man and they say,"That's the best you can do?" Then you have to go on the defensive and explain that you meant Atari 2600 Pac-man and they say,"Sure--that's what you meant all right!" :lolblue:

So now, if we re-tally 18. the horrible introductory music

19. the scoring differences.....