The truth is in the answers...  

36 members have voted

1. 1. I have:

• One single console/keyboard
    • I have two consoles/keyboards
    • I have three consoles/keyboards
    • I have four consoles/keyboards
    • I have more that five consoles
    • I don't have a single console (emulator only)
    • Other
  2. 2. I have

• One TI-PEB
    • Two TI-PEB's
    • Three TI-PEB's
    • Four TI-PEB's
    • Five or more TI-PEB's
    • No TI-PEB's (emulation)
    • Other
  3. 3. I have

• One Nano-PEB
    • Two Nano-PEB's
    • Three Nano-PEB's
    • Four Nano-PEB's
    • Five or more Nano-PEB's
    • No Nano-PEB's (Emulator Only)
    • Other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't call myself a Ti-99/4a fanatic though I have 3 consoles (Console 1 is the one I use daily ATM, Console 2 is in slightly worn condition and a backup. Console 3 is a revision 2.2 one I rarely use). All are the Aluminium type.

I have a PEB (a comparatively rare find, here in the UK) and a nanoPEB.

I've got a box of random/assorted cartridges, a 512k cart (with 2 more on the way) and one of Gazoo's Extended BASIC v2.7 carts.

So NOT a fanatic then...

Edited by UKRetrogamer

No, but the 99/4a has a latent place-holding spot in my emulator collection. That means there is a lot of material that I have not sorted and organized yet. I imagine it will be fun and enlightening when I do so. I anticipate a good blast of nostalgia because it's been almost 30 years since I saw a real one in action. And maybe 4 or 5 years since I did any in-depth emulation activities..

Years ago my 99 died an ugly death. I remember "rescuing" the main CPU chip practically by brute force and fire. I'll have to pull it out in remembrance.

Edited by Keatah

Well, now you've done it. You composed a question (#1) that has no option I can choose!—which should tell you what my answer should be. Actually, you've pretty much rendered this poll meaningless with the "other" choices. I suppose I could have answered #1 with that choice; but, then, what would you know? I have 5 consoles—not 4 or more than 5—but 5.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart
  • Like 1

I am sitting on 5 consoles, 1 very good, 1 good, 3 shit. 1 PEB with RS232, Disk controller, 2 half height 5 1/4" drives and a CorComp 512K RAM disk/memory expansion card.

I also have about 130 modules, 40 tapes and a few disks.

On the book front I have about twenty-excluding TI programming manuals.

I have more power supplies. joysticks, tape leads and modulators than I care to count.

The shopping list at the moment includes an f18, NanoPEB and one of those nice XB 2.7 modules (cash flow allowing) :(

I am still on the lookout for a few modules and books, I think it would be cheaper for me to emigrate to the U.S.

What about including Geneve users in the poll? Or is the Geneve considered as a console?

Well, I guess that was an oversight on my part. I know I'm bad, but honestly, I don't think of a Geneve as a TI, more like a different computer that also emulates TI. I guess I need to do a Geneve poll to figure it all out.

You could go really weird and ask about 99/8s, CC40s (BASIC is mostly compatible), Tomy Tutors/Pyuutas (use the 9995/9918 combination and a mutant version of the TI OS), and then the weird stuff, like 99/4B or 99/5 machines. . .or even Powertran Cortices (there are a few of us in here too)

• Like 1

I think there is still some difference between the Geneve and the other systems that you mentioned, especially from the compatibility aspect. Me, I've always been feeling like a TI-99 user, even though I don't use a TI console since 1990. All my programs and my peripheral cards continued to run on the Geneve, and I was also able to use all my cartridges (as disk images, of course). :)

Edited by mizapf

I'm definitely a fanatic, since it was solely due to the TI-99/4A I was given as a child for getting me into computers as a career today. The nostalgia is strong.

I've got 2 aluminum consoles, plus a beige that I think has a blown power supply. I keep the 2nd aluminum as an emergency backup. 2 PEB's. One for daily use and a 2nd that I'm restoring.

• Like 2

I am not a fanatic, but I do like to tinker.

The TI-99 was my first computer. I got it in like 1998 or 1997. Yeah, I was on the tail end. My grandparents got it for free from American TV in the Milwaukee, WI Area. They were giving them away when you bought furniture. They had it at their house for a few years before got my hands on it.

My brother’s friend tripped over the cable that went from the TI to the RF Modulator and it damaged the circuit board. It cracked the board where the DIN connector is. The family story was that I broke it trying to hook it up to my brain. I have no clue how that started.

I know the issue on TI computer fanaticism. When I went to Turkey back in the mid-90s, every single computer in my household goods had to be individually identified on the Turkish Beyanname (customs form). I had 22 99/4As, 2 99/4s, 3 CC40s, 3 Geneves, a pair of Tomy Tutors, and two Mattel Aquarius machines. . .along with my PC. The Turkish folks filling out the form were aghast. . .nobody could possibly have that many computers. . .I have more now though (but only one or two more 99/4As, mostly because I have passed a number of them on over the years. . .otherwise I'd have at least 10-15 more of those too).

• Like 3