IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

Vorticon, I have three of these and have never flashed or updated their settings. It's probably a good idea to do so, but I thought I'd mention that you probably don't have to.

I think the UDS device can work on 10.0.0.n, but if not, an alternative would be to create an additional 192.168.1.n network internally for it.

If you have an old unused router/wifi box with ethernet ports, you could set it up to create another subnet in your house with its WAN address on the 10.0.0.n network and on its LAN side, have a 192.168.1.x network with DHCP, where you could connect the UDS.

I skimmed the manual and I don't see that it MUST be on 192.n.n.n so perhaps it has been set to a fixed address and no DHCP in its former life. I'd do the factory reset and see if that allows it to get an IP address on your 10.0.0.n network.

To confirm that it does, I'd NMAP your internal network before (see previous post) then plug in the Lantronix, wait 30 seconds, then NMAP again and look for a new host. Or - if there's a screen on your router that shows your DHCP clients/leases, you could find it there too.

Edited by ElectricLab

You can enter the monitor mode via serial cable. Do the same as decribed before,

and at the point of "xxx" type "xx2".

Then you should be in monitor mode, and now enter the command "NC" to get into the network-config menu.

(if xx2 does not works try xx1, but it IS xx2 IIRC)

Edited by schmitzi

Then, if re-powered up again, just watch your DHCP-Server for the new IP-address.

(Or just directly try to change the IP-config, once you are in the serial setup-menu with HyperTerm :) )

My UDS periodically loses its assigned IP and reverts to DHCP. When this happens I log into my router, look at the connected devices, find the UDS entry, note the IP, then telnet into it with port 9999 ;) It beats having to guess which address it was given. A program that scanned the local subnet would probably do the trick, too.

• Like 1

There is an easier way. In fact this program will be mentioned in my updated version of gettig your TI on the Internet.

No need to log into your router, once you download and install this, you'll always be just ONE CLICK AWAY from knowing everything on your your network. You'll even be alerted if any unauthorized users gain access.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

yes, but only works if the UDS is connected via WLAN. And you need a windows machine too, running this "WatchDog".....

I think the Batch is the easiest way, no need to install or config or run anything

Only have to check once for the UDS´ MAC

ah, I know NirSoft for this NK2edit. Very good tool for Outlook :)

I have been unable to get my UDS-10 to show up in the device list with the Lantronix device installer. Any hints? Not knowing its IP address, I can't even access it via telnet...

have you tried to hook it up to a serial port direct and holding down lower case 'x' while it powers up. once it powers up it should go into the setup via the serial port.

The firmware file on the ftp site is a binary file. To flash the firmaware using the serial connection, I need the .HEX file (ASCII) which I can't seem to find.

EDIT: I converted the binary file to ASCII HEX. Unfortunately, the UDS-10 monitor hangs when I enter the DL (download) command.

I'm out of ideas at this point... It should not be that hard to set this up.

this is the latest firmware out for the UDS10. I updated mine with this.

Firmware_ltx5805.rom

have you tried to hook it up to a serial port direct and holding down lower case 'x' while it powers up. once it powers up it should go into the setup via the serial port.

Yes, but the configuration menu I get is completely different from what it's supposed to be with no DHCP option and a fixed network base of 192.168, so I'm suspecting the units I have have special firmware installed. I broke down and bought another UDS-10 on Ebay which hopefully will have the standard firmware. Anybody wants my 2 current UDS-10's? Just pay for shipping :)

Vorticon, I have three of these and have never flashed or updated their settings. It's probably a good idea to do so, but I thought I'd mention that you probably don't have to.

I think the UDS device can work on 10.0.0.n, but if not, an alternative would be to create an additional 192.168.1.n network internally for it.

If you have an old unused router/wifi box with ethernet ports, you could set it up to create another subnet in your house with its WAN address on the 10.0.0.n network and on its LAN side, have a 192.168.1.x network with DHCP, where you could connect the UDS.

I skimmed the manual and I don't see that it MUST be on 192.n.n.n so perhaps it has been set to a fixed address and no DHCP in its former life. I'd do the factory reset and see if that allows it to get an IP address on your 10.0.0.n network.

To confirm that it does, I'd NMAP your internal network before (see previous post) then plug in the Lantronix, wait 30 seconds, then NMAP again and look for a new host. Or - if there's a screen on your router that shows your DHCP clients/leases, you could find it there too.

I did think about doing that, but as a last resort. We'll see if my upcoming UDS-10 works out.

Okay dumb question time:

I see the link for Disk Image file on Stuart's website. Normally when I download a .zip then I open ti99dir and convert the v9t9 files to TI files (and transfer blah blah) and done! ...However, when I extract the zip file it gives me a file Internet Browser V9.tidsk

What do I do to this file to get it over to the TI? I know how to do the transfer using my PC and TIMXT, but do I need to convert the file or rename it or anything with ti99dir or..?

EDIT: I can't spell extract (extra)

Edited by budz2355

No because the ramdisk does not need the TI disk controller. It should be fine.

However, the browser looks for the favourites files on a disk called 'BROWSER'. You probably won't be able to use the favourites file unless you name your ramdisk like this.

(If I put the files on a DSSD-sized virtual disk, anyone know if that will still transfer and work on a NanoPEB?)

Stuart.

I got my replacement UDS-10 and this one was a cinch to access and configure. It had DHCP already setup and it showed up in my list of connected devices on my home network. I accessed it via telnet and entered all the configuration options per Stuart's instruction on the web site. I won't have time to play with it though till tomorrow night, but hopefully it will work as advertised :)

I sent my original UDS-10's to another TIer to see if he can get them configured.

• Like 3

However, the browser looks for the favourites files on a disk called 'BROWSER'. You probably won't be able to use the favourites file unless you name your ramdisk like this.

(If I put the files on a DSSD-sized virtual disk, anyone know if that will still transfer and work on a NanoPEB?)

Stuart.

Stuart,

I've not used my Nano it quite a while, so I'm unsure, but if you use TI99Dir to make a new 1600 sector virtual disk and COPY the files to the new image, you'll have no problems at all.