IGNORED

Robotron 2084 Vectrex

adamchevy

Mark Robson started one. Number of objects that youre able to display on the Vectrex is a limiting factor. However, Chris Tumber has recently come up with new methodology which allows the Vectrex to display as many as 50 objects on screen without flicker. This would be essential to its programming to execute an accurate clone.

That's good to hear. It seems like it would be a great port to the vectrex. It always amazes me how much people can pull out of these old processors and limited ram. I hope someday someone develops this game for the vectrex. I have wanted to program a game for one of the older consoles for a long time. This is my favorite game on any Atari platform. I have tried to learn assembly for about 6 months now. Its not as simple as I would have liked but it is a fun challenge and hobby.

I'm curious why you think this would be a good game to port to the Vectrex? The vector technology is not well-suited to the type and number of objects on-screen and the stock controllers are not well-suited to the gameplay. I think there are a bunch of vector-based arcade games that would make better targets.

I realize my situation is unique because of the number of platforms I own, but I'm really tiring of the same games getting ported to different systems. Robotron is one of those games that's available on most classic (and even many modern) platforms, so I just don't see the need, particularly since it would be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Good point, I think the controls would be a bit of a stumbling block. I was looking to see if anyone has ever considered it because I think the vector graphics would look great, and for a bit of inspiration to keep learning to program. What other vector based games were you thinking of Bill?

Good point, I think the controls would be a bit of a stumbling block. I was looking to see if anyone has ever considered it because I think the vector graphics would look great, and for a bit of inspiration to keep learning to program. What other vector based games were you thinking of Bill?

Just the obvious ones like Black Widow, Tempest, Quantum, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Major Havoc, etc. Of course some of those would require some serious wizardry to pull off...

• Like 1

Black Widow and Major Havoc have never been done but all the others have clones on the Vectrex, in some cases even 2 versions.

Garry has made a good Geometry Wars clone which uses the exact same controls and gameplay. Also, another of Chris Tumbers ideas was to rotate both controller 1 and 2 90 degree to use them as dual analog controllers.

A lot of the Vectrex' shortcomings have been overcome even using the Imager for color rather than just a 3D effect.

• Like 1

Black Widow and Major Havoc have never been done but all the others have clones on the Vectrex, in some cases even 2 versions.

Garry has made a good Geometry Wars clone which uses the exact same controls and gameplay. Also, another of Chris Tumbers ideas was to rotate both controller 1 and 2 90 degree to use them as dual analog controllers.

A lot of the Vectrex' shortcomings have been overcome even using the Imager for color rather than just a 3D effect.

Do you happen to have the names of those clones? I wasn't aware of the Geometry Wars port either. I was considering how a dual stick game like a Robotron might work with the Vectrex's controllers, but was unable to come up with a suitable idea. There would really need to be some type of weighted base contraption for the two controllers to slot into or some similar type of way to keep it all together in a particularly heated game (or, probably simpler, just a new controller creation or adapter for existing dual stick controllers).

While I have a clone imager, I think the practicality of using that for color is still not great because of the limitations of the technique and the fact that so few Vectrex owners actually own one. I'd much rather do without the color and just have a traditional overlay for color.

• Like 1

http://garrysgamingblog.blogspot.com/p/programming-projects.html

Vec Wars (Geometry Wars clone) is available for free download. Its a very nice game but Garry has said that he's working on an even better version.

I agree that a weighted base is is probably the best solution for a dual stick controller. I've seen driving wheels that had sand-filled bases. There are a few adapters in the works that also give excellent solutions for dual stick and dual analog controls. Clay Cowgil is about to produce a limited run of his PSX adapters again and there is a new developer who is posting on Facebook about his new universal USB adapter for the Vectrex. The PSX adapter would allow you to use the Dual analog shock controllers or even the Dual Analog Stick SCPH-1110 and the USB adapter would allow you to use just about any universal dual stick controller.

Here's the link to Chris Tumber's discussion on using 2 joysticks for a dual analog stick as well as discussion of a WIP now entitled "Incursion".

http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/1092/likes?page=1

Edited by 50TBRD
  • Like 1

http://garrysgamingblog.blogspot.com/p/programming-projects.html

Vec Wars (Geometry Wars clone) is available for free download. Its a very nice game but Garry has said that he's working on an even better version.

I agree that a weighted base is is probably the best solution for a dual stick controller. I've seen driving wheels that had sand-filled bases. There are a few adapters in the works that also give excellent solutions for dual stick and dual analog controls. Clay Cowgil is about to produce a limited run of his PSX adapters again and there is a new developer who is posting on Facebook about his new universal USB adapter for the Vectrex. The PSX adapter would allow you to use the Dual analog shock controllers or even the Dual Analog Stick SCPH-1110 and the USB adapter would allow you to use just about any universal dual stick controller.

Here's the link to Chris Tumber's discussion on using 2 joysticks for a dual analog stick as well as discussion of a WIP now entitled "Incursion".

http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/1092/likes?page=1

Using a dual shock psx controller would be pretty amazing. Especially since you would have the triggers on the top to fire with. Garry is a talented guy, thanks for the link.

I was doing some reading on Wikipedia and it looks like the 6809 processor was used in the robotron 2084 arcade machine as well. I wonder if you could modify the original arcade machine code to work with the vectrex screen size/vector based black and white, and controller.

you'd first have to disassemble the code and then go through it and comment it up to figure out what everything even does which would be a grueling task to begin with, then you have not accounted for the CPU being pretty much the only chip in common between williams boards and vectrex, different interface chips, sound chips, memory maps, and on top of that no sprites would be reusable from ROM of course.

The vectrex also has 1k of DRAM vs 48K for williams boards but you could have onboard ram in the cart so that part is among the easiest to overcome.

So I wouldn't really consider it having the same CPU much of an advatage.

you'd first have to disassemble the code and then go through it and comment it up to figure out what everything even does which would be a grueling task to begin with, then you have not accounted for the CPU being pretty much the only chip in common between williams boards and vectrex, different interface chips, sound chips, memory maps, and on top of that no sprites would be reusable from ROM of course.

The vectrex also has 1k of DRAM vs 48K for williams boards but you could have onboard ram in the cart so that part is among the easiest to overcome.

So I wouldn't really consider it having the same CPU much of an advatage.

Good to know.

• 3 years later...