IGNORED

original hand made MyIDE notice!

_The Doctor__

This proves that Steven Tucker has the best support ever.

If I had this after all these years, I would simply throw it away (or store it in my collection) and replace it with a bought new one.

I really appreciate his offer, but for some reasons it does not feel good (for me) to let him replace those carts for free.

But thanks for sharing, it is really amazing to see Tucker offers this so professionally.

• Like 2

Yes that is about my MyIDE cartridge. I discovered it yesterday and Steven answered very quickly. My cartridge will be replaced, great service !

The reason why I mailed him about this is that the solder on the contacts make the board "thicker" and will push back the pin on the cartridge connector over time. It happened to the machine I use the most (600XL) and I got problems with cartridges that worked just fine on my other machines. So, I suggested that if other carts had the extra solder more problems could arise with other machines and no-one wants that to happen :)

So if you have an early model MyIDE with the hand-wiring inside, do check your cartridge edges. This is NOT about the MyIDE II cartridge.

Steven even offered to replace the cartridge connector but sending over the board to the US and back is a bit too much for both sides. Steven offered a free connector for me which I'll accept and install on the 600XL myself.

Nothing than excellent service in my book, I wished many "professional" companies would act like this !!!

I've attached one of the pictures that are also in the Atarimax forum thread, but you need to be registered there to see them.

post-25272-0-51536600-1415313738_thumb.jpg

Edited by Level42

This proves that Steven Tucker has the best support ever.

If I had this after all these years, I would simply throw it away (or store it in my collection) and replace it with a bought new one.

I really appreciate his offer, but for some reasons it does not feel good (for me) to let him replace those carts for free.

But thanks for sharing, it is really amazing to see Tucker offers this so professionally.

You almost make me feel bad about this, but in the end it _is_ a production fault and I paid money for the product (that is a business deal, no matter how you look at it) so I may expect it to work correctly but especially it should not cause damage to my computer(s).

This is something that can happen and I think it's fair to report this to Steven and glad he agreed it shouldn't be like that.

Of course I could try to remove the solder and solder the wire back (this is why I found the issue at all, the wire had come loose over time and I only got to see the first menu, when I selected anything the screen would go black for a second and then return to the menu). However, from experience I know that it is not possible to get the solder off 100%, no matter what you try.

Also, I do not have unlimited funds to just buy (yet) another product. Your way of thinking of "just throwing it away" when something fails is a common way of thinking these days and I'm sad about it as it seriously hurts the resources we have and the environment in general. I am still from a generation where stuff was worth to repair and we took the effort to have a look WHY something is not working, so I don't think along the lines like you do.

So....please don't make me feel bad for reporting about this....

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

You almost make me feel bad about this, but in the end it _is_ a production fault and I paid money for the product (that is a business deal, no matter how you look at it) so I may expect it to work correctly but especially it should not cause damage to my computer(s).

This is something that can happen and I think it's fair to report this to Steven and glad he agreed it shouldn't be like that.

I'm surprised by your response. I think I do not have any influence of how someone feels about him or herself. I wrote that I find the support of Tucker amazingly good, ánd that I personally would not let him exchange this for free.

Although it is a business deal in your eyes, doesn't mean everybody sees it that way. Atari is hobby (for me) and Tucker provides cool stuff for my hobby, but I don't see him as a business man, but I see him as someone who also loves the hobby, and he creates stuff for that, that I could not create because I don't have the equipment, time and money.

If I would have a problem with something I bought years ago (I suppose that MyIDE interface is older than 10 years now). I would not surprised (not even with a commercial company) that the support would have stopped.

Also, I do not have unlimited funds to just buy (yet) another product. Your way of thinking of "just throwing it away" when something fails is a common way of thinking these days and I'm sad about it as it seriously hurts the resources we have and the environment in general. I am still from a generation where stuff was worth to repair and we took the effort to have a look WHY something is not working, so I don't think along the lines like you do.

So....please don't make me feel bad for reporting about this....

I think it is a little bit too much, that you take conclusions about the way I think about stuff, after reading one partly misunderstood reaction from my side.

You turn my opinion, which was not meant as a personal attack, but simply an expression of my thoughts about this particular subject, into a complaint about my waste of resources?

Talking about making someone feel bad about giving an opinion?

My mixed feelings with this are not that you report a problem (I would probably do the same), and not that Tucker offers you this free replacement and other support. He is a great great guy. My doubts are that people here on atariage are litterly called to 'take advantage' of this replacement-program.

I simply can't join 'take advantage' with the fabulous experience with Steven Tucker. I would never take advantage of anybody in this atari scene, and especially not Steven Tucker.

I do not think you are taking advantage of him. It's great that you are still using your MyIDE I, and you are right about reporting issues.

In my single and personal case I wouldn't have accepted his offer; but like I wrote above in this post (and in my first post) that is MY way of acting. I'm not telling that someone else should act like that.

Edited by ProWizard

OK we're cool :)

Maybe I overreacted a bit, sorry about that.

My MyIDE is nowhere near 10 years old, I think mine is something like 2 or so, and it arrived modded, it was not sent back to have the mod done or something like that and I do think it is normal to expect a cartridge to work for a longer time period than that (we all have 30+ year old cartridges still working fine, yes I know the MyIDE is a bit more complicated).

Yes I realize Atarimax is not a mega sized company and there is a lot of love into the products but in the end I really hope he also earns some money from it because that's what he deserves :)

The thing with the very version of the MyIDE cartridge that I got was that it came with a piggybacked (as I learned from Sijmen) buffer IC which has a lot of legs bent outwards and a lot of wires running from it to somewhere on the PCB. It must have been quite some work to mod the PCBs for that version of the cartridge but I'm sure it was done with the idea to make it a better product. However, due to this "factory modding" it also got a bit more fragile (see the wire coming loose).

However, my main concern was not just my 600XL. I have the skills and tools to replace the connector but I'm sure there are other users out there who don't and maybe have the same thing going on. I realize the chance is not that big, I'm sure this one was just a mistake which can happen, but I'm sure Steven is not looking forward to get other people's machines into troubles, people who might not have the skill to fix it themselves.

Again, we totally agree that Steven gives perfect service but on the other hand, it's kinda weird that we have reached a mindset in 2014 that we expect "companies" to give bad service or non at all. I know it is often like that, but that doesn't make it right. I am glad Steven shows how it should be and this is what makes "companies" stay around, those who give service will last, they build up a reputation and people will buy their products with trust.

For me, if the cartridge does not have the "solder blob" on the card-edge, and it works fine, I see no reason to return it to Steven but I guess he doesn't want to take any risks. Which is awesome.

• Like 2

My lord people are always looking for a pissing match...

Steve wants you to swap them out because he does not want to damage any more ATARI's they are precious and it is best to make sure nothing gets fried or damaged... so take advantage of his offer already... you not 'taking advantage' of a person the way your trying to make it out to be... Holy crap! Just swap the darn cartridges it will make everyone safe and happy!!!!!!!! Quit taking things out of context and see it for what it is and go look at what Steve himself says on his forum link that was supplied so all could read and see why he wants you to take advantage of his offer....

Lordy Lordy Lordy what post will come next..... I for one think Steve is the best barr none.... the fact he wants you to make sure no Atari or it's attached euipment is damaged or destroyed proves he loves our machines, he loves our community, he prefers the best of his work be out there. I am quite certain he will re-cycle most of the old MyIDE re-using all but the PCB....

Think about it this way after I die another person who does not solder and knows little about this problem will not fry my now inherited Atari stuff!

For the Politically Correct contextual crowd make pretend it is a consumer recall...... et el ..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

@_The Doctor_

I find it remarkable that level42 and I can discuss this in a mature way, with respecting each other opinions, and for some reasons that I don't know or understand you are the one that are throwing oil on fire. Not level42 or myself.

So if you can't stand a normal discussion, please don't participate. Thanks.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1667

There is a free replacement for MyIDE users of the first and oldest MyIDE+Flash carts...

Take advantage of this, it is worth it!

please take the offensive words "Take advantage of this" out of the post and substitute Please avail yourself of this generous offer

• Like 1