IGNORED

How to load programs into a SuperCart?

UKRetrogamer

Thanks to Ksarul, I now have a 4 bank, 8K SuperCart to play with.

Thanks to --- Ω --- I've loaded 4ADOS into the first bank.

But how do I load other programs into the remaining 3 banks?

I downloaded the zip files from the mainbyte Supercart project page but it took me the best part of an hour to work out WHICH program on the disk I needed to run to copy stuff into Bank A on the cart. The disk-image supplied there is a mish-mash of random programs. Some run, others don't.

Even now, I'm still none the wiser as to HOW I actually go about loading programs into the cart for immediate access. What format do they need to be in? ROM? Program?

Ideally, I'd like to get the nanoPEBS's CF7+ Manager program into one bank and the CFHDXS1 program into another. I've not checked if they'll fit into 8K yet, as the Ti-99 talks in BLOCKS and I'm not familiar with converting blocks into kilobytes.

Adding 4ADOS from --- Ω --- was just a case of loading the correct program and it copied ITSELF onto the cart but the rest???

Edited by UKRetrogamer
  • Like 2

But how do I load other programs into the remaining 3 banks?

Different programs can load differently. I'll send you a PM with some stuff Friday (day off). Now in 4A/DOS it's a little quirky E/A5 files load with the LOAD command, but E/A3 files use FIX80 (like Tennis). Whats cool is that you can make different BATCH files for each disk as a menu system and mix the file types. About the BATCH FILES... use EDIT1 otherwise you'll get crap appended to the end of the file and that results in errors.

Any program for the Supercart should load itself into that space, similar to what 4A DOS did. To load things into any bank, select it with the switches and load--then it will be there if it is for the Supercart. The switches are the bank selectors--you will only see a bank if it is selected.

Even now, I'm still none the wiser as to HOW I actually go about loading programs into the cart for immediate access. What format do they need to be in? ROM? Program?

Ideally, I'd like to get the nanoPEBS's CF7+ Manager program into one bank and the CFHDXS1 program into another. I've not checked if they'll fit into 8K yet, as the Ti-99 talks in BLOCKS and I'm not familiar with converting blocks into kilobytes.

I don't think CFMGR or CFHDXS1 would run from a Supercart because they are both bigger than 8K.

QUIKLOAD

By: John Birdwell

This program, in my opinion, is simply THE BEST menu loader available for the SuperCart! There are four different versions , one for a standard TI, one for the Geneve, one for the Myarc RAMdisk and another hacked one for users of the HDX board. ;)

The documentation is in PDF format and can easily be printed up in book format.

This should hold you until Friday, when I have more time to go through all my crap and locate the other stuff.

sml_gallery_35324_1068_62170.jpg

QuikLoad SuperCart.zip

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think there's a problem with the 32K RAM module I bought for it. Wrong type, too fast/too slow...

If I pick up the cart 12-24 hours after I last used it, the console's numbered selection screen is corrupt though I can press 1 for Ti BASIC or 2 for Editor/Assembler.

If I enter the E/A and re-load 4A-DOS, everything is fine again until I've left the cartridge for another extended period.

How long should a Supercart retain it's information before needing a re-load?

Edited by UKRetrogamer

If the battery in a SuperCart is weak, it can lose data.

If you leave the SuperCart plugged into the TI when not it use or plugged into a Widget, that can

sometimes also happen. When using the Widget, I turn the switch to another cartridge when not in use. Since you have a multi-bank unit, try switching to an unused bank before going away and see what that does... if anything.

The SuperCart should retain it's memory indefinitely, or until the battery dies. But in real world situations, you'll sometimes load a program that screws with it as well.

As promised in the attached file there are some more SuperCart programs. One of them is a memory checker. ;-)

SC-Items.zip

• Like 1