IGNORED

Ninja Wall Jump game - WIP

walaber

Thanks!

Today I started working on a label for the game. I don't have the skills to make an old-school style illustration, so instead I slightly fancied up a screenshot from the game and used the Label Maker to produce this:

attachicon.gifwall_jump_ninja_LABEL_A_FRONT_lowres.jpg attachicon.gifwall_jump_ninja_LABEL_A_previs_lowres.jpg

Thoughts?

I envision something like this.....

Image3.png

Thanks!

Today I started working on a label for the game. I don't have the skills to make an old-school style illustration, so instead I slightly fancied up a screenshot from the game and used the Label Maker to produce this:

attachicon.gifwall_jump_ninja_LABEL_A_FRONT_lowres.jpg attachicon.gifwall_jump_ninja_LABEL_A_previs_lowres.jpg

Thoughts?

You should reach out to Corey Kramer: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231764-cartoonist-with-a-question/

I'm sure he could whip you up something nice.

-B

Here's a longer video of the basically-final version of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YaNwrS6qzg

And here's a download of the "release candidate 1" version:

:arrow: attachicon.gifwall_jump_ninja_20141222_RC1.bin

Looking great man, so rad. You got mad skills haha, I can't make it past like room 16 on Normal Mode. ;)

Very interested to see how the label turns out as well. :D

• Like 1

This looks awesome! Do you think there will be opportunity somewhere for the "sunset" background from the game? The only other feedback I have is that it looks a bit like the spikes are coming out of the Ninja's head, maybe that could be spaced out a bit, or perhaps it will be clearer in color.

Excellent game, I especially like the way you can control the Ninja jump, just by 'adjusting' with the fire button: mastering its use is part of the addictive quality of the game :thumbsup:

The overall presentation is nice and has a distinct feel to it.

Good job on the sounds, too: I really like how you didn't make the jump sound effect too obtrusive.

Just a few notes:

- I would try to make the game display always 262 scanlines, even when transitioning between different game states

- no lava: I am not sure that the azure lines, on top of the screen, fit well with the remaining background colors (see "to the left.png")

- no lava: when the ninja floats between the surfaces to the right, its sprite is oriented towards the left (see "to the left.png")

- I would try to make the 'grasp' sprite a little less stiff, with a little curl (see "grasp.png")

- the bonus letters are displayed too early: this makes them briefly appear on the leftmost part of the screen (see "early bonus.png")

- the last drawn line before the room number is incomplete (see "incomplete line.png")

- the deadly vertical beam briefly returns to the left, before moving towards the ninja (see "line jump" below)

- when the deadly vertical beam starts moving towards the ninja, it would be nice to hear a sound effect (to highlight the impending menace)

- something happens to the vertical beam when the game is over: once it reaches an horizontal position (see "black beam.png") it starts becoming black (see "black_beam_2.png")

- it would be very nice to have the hi-score displayed somewhere (maybe alternating with the last score during the title screen or during the game over screen)

- let me add a couple of labels, just because

Most importantly, many thanks for sharing the game!

(line jump)

t9jf2r.gif

post-7371-0-32821900-1419759187_thumb.jpg

post-7371-0-41246900-1419759197_thumb.jpg

post-7371-0-65996900-1419759272_thumb.png

post-7371-0-96421000-1419759278_thumb.png

post-7371-0-57465800-1419759295_thumb.png

post-7371-0-16009900-1419759307_thumb.png

post-7371-0-80767600-1419759311_thumb.png

post-7371-0-75699800-1419760230.png

Edited by seemo

Thanks for the great,detailed feedback everyone! Here's the changes I made this morning, basically I still have to fix the "early powerup" issue and then I'll make another release candidate.

- fixed footer incomplete scanline
- stopping death beam mid-screen so it doesn't turn black again when it nears the right-edge of the screen after you die
- adjusted "wall slide" sprite graphics
- fixed blue color at top of screen in NO-LAVA mode
- reversed difficulty switches to match convention better
- fixed player orientation when falling across door openings
- fixed death wall "jumping backward" for a frame near the left-edge of the screen

Just got 58. Finally spelled out "NINJA" :)

Nice! did it feel good to get the crazy "dash" powerup?

Edited by walaber

This looks awesome! Do you think there will be opportunity somewhere for the "sunset" background from the game? The only other feedback I have is that it looks a bit like the spikes are coming out of the Ninja's head, maybe that could be spaced out a bit, or perhaps it will be clearer in color.

In the original sketch there was a little more room between the spikes and the ninja's head and it looked a little too convenient of a space for a ninja to me... lol It's an easy enough fix if you'd like. And I definitely wanted to incorporate the sunset background somehow- one idea I had was to use it on the different walls as they faded into the background- I'll definitely get it in there somehow, don'tcha worry! (I was thinking in the furthest bit of background I could use the death beam pattern?)

In the original sketch there was a little more room between the spikes and the ninja's head and it looked a little too convenient of a space for a ninja to me... lol It's an easy enough fix if you'd like. And I definitely wanted to incorporate the sunset background somehow- one idea I had was to use it on the different walls as they faded into the background- I'll definitely get it in there somehow, don'tcha worry! (I was thinking in the furthest bit of background I could use the death beam pattern?)

Death Beam in the background would be awesome, good idea! Can't wait to see the image in color. There has been some feedback that the colors of the death beam are kinda weird, anyone else have any thoughts on it?