IGNORED

Colecovision Wont Work!

TimTheKoala

Hi all, I've come to this forum because i have had no luck elsewhere regarding my problem.

I acquired the console from my granddads place, it was in a cupboard hidden away in the garage. and it needed a bit of work to get it going again such as a new Internal RF cable (because its the PAL version). its now working............well kinda.

When i start it up without a cart it displays the logo and text perfectly.

The problem with my Colecovision is when i insert a cartridge to play some classic video game goodness the console freaks out!

some carts screw the console up as soon as i turn the thing on, and the others come up with the player select screen but they screw up after that!

The game Smurf turns my tv into a Rainbow machine while turbo just keeps resetting the console. some other games come up with the player select screen but won't respond to any button. i tried spraying WD40 into the power switch and it has made the switch click again but it seems to have done nothing! I also tested the power supply with the console on and off with a multimeter and it displays the proper -5v, +5v, +12v and ground even at the switch pins!

I really wanna get this thing working again as it was my uncles and i wanna fix it up for him for xmas.

Edited by TimTheKoala

Hi all, I've come to this forum because i have had no luck elsewhere regarding my problem.

I acquired the console from my granddads place, it was in a cupboard hidden away in the garage. and it needed a bit of work to get it going again such as a new Internal RF cable (because its the PAL version). its now working............well kinda.

When i start it up without a cart it displays the logo and text perfectly.

The problem with my Colecovision is when i insert a cartridge to play some classic video game goodness the console freaks out!

some carts screw the console up as soon as i turn the thing on, and the others come up with the player select screen but they screw up after that!

The game Smurf turns my tv into a Rainbow machine while turbo just keeps resetting the console. some other games come up with the player select screen but won't respond to any button. i tried spraying WD40 into the power switch and it has made the switch click again but it seems to have done nothing! I also tested the power supply with the console on and off with a millimetre and it displays the proper -5v, +5v, +12v and ground even at the switch pins!

I really wanna get this thing working again as it was my uncles and i wanna fix it up for him for xmas.

I need some help with this ASAP i only have a month to get it going!!!

Edited by TimTheKoala

Have you cleaned all of the carts with q-tips and alcohol? It could also be a vram issues if it displays garbled up.

It was supposed to work back in the day before it was put away, and the display only goes full retard when a cart is inserted. do i really need to use alcohol? could i use mentholated spirits? i rubbed the carts down with a cloth and used a tooth brush to clean the cart port on the console.

Edited by TimTheKoala

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things on the system board that can cause all kinds of issues. Here's a couple of resources that should help you to isolate the problem/components:

http://www.colecovis...tries/tech.html

http://drushel.cwru.edu/schematics/

Thank you a lot for the website with the pdf's! i think i need a new chip.

it's also could be the power supply, they do go bad over time even though you may have the proper voltages at the end of the cord.

you need to plug in the colecovision, and turn it on and test the voltages from the inside the unit while it's on and see what the voltages read

if any of them are lower then what your original reading was before plugging it in then I would suspect a bad power supply. especially if the voltages

have dropped a 1/2 volt or more.

if that's the case then it's going to need the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply replaced.

• Like 1

I dont have a smaller game like that unfortunately. :(

There are a lot of games that are 16K or smaller for the CV. You can check Ikrananka's RomDump Project that is pinned in this forum to see what all the proper rom sizes are in the ZIP archive he provides and then see if you have the appropriate cartridge that can be tested on your CV.