IGNORED

Can we talk about how good CRT still is?

AtticGamer

I've been using CRT monitors all my life and though I've bought a very nice Panasonic plasma sometime ago, it's not suitable for every type of game. Older games and games that I play for very long with a fixed HUD are a danger to it so I always have a monitor hooked up as well. I used a 15" Samtron CRT with 1280x1024 max for a long time and when I built my new desktop PC sometime ago I bought my uncle's 17" Relysis monitor, which served very well and could do crazy resolutions like 1920x1440, despite being from the late 1990's. I never felt the need to buy an LCD monitor, and being exposed to many (good and bad), they didn't sway me from the advantages of old school displays.

Yesterday I bought a Sony MultiSync 520GS, a 21" professional (photography) monitor and though it doesn't reach 1920x1440, it does 1600x1200 (almost the same pixel count as 1080p) at 75hz (the Relysis only did it at 70hz) and it's MASSIVE. It's about the height of a 27" 16:9 monitor and a flat screen. I adjusted the colours and brightness and proceeded to play some Aliens Colonial Marines with my buddy (shitty game but tons of fun).

I was amazed at how good it felt playing a PC game on a monitor this size, with that beautiful colour and deep black, and amazing response time and 75 frames per second made a horrible game feel good somehow. Older stuff looks good as well and I'm tempted to try out my Dreamcast on this. The best part? It cost me 30 euros.

b32421b9-0322-423a-a96a-529729bec11f_zps

I still need to sort out the font issue, it's a little blurry but I already learned a setting in Windows 7 can disable font smoothing (something CRT technology does already).

I still have a CRT TV too for older systems and regular broadcast. I think I will only change monitors when both this and the Relysis fail me, and I hope IPS or OLED Freesync 4K monitors are cheap, though the multiple "native" resolution is still not available apart from CRT (Laser TV was supposed to address this).

So, anyone else still rocking a fat ass monitor around here?

Edited by AtticGamer
  • Like 3

Oh yeah, CRT's rock! And since you bring it up, had to do a count of 'em at my place as I know they've been adding up. haha

Between classic computer monitors and TV's, currently have 15 CRT's laying around with most in use next to their respective computers and gaming nooks. That's not including 2 Vectrex's, 2 arcade games, a Megatouch bar top and a TRS-80 Model III. All told, that makes a whopping 21 CRT's in my house.

Nicest set I have is a 20" Sony with component video that I have my PC Engine, PS2 and Jaguar hooked to. Wouldn't mind having an older Trinitron with RGB someday too.

So yep, I like them. I like them a lot. :lol:

• Like 1

I still have five of them out in my man cave. The 7800 is hooked up to my favorite one, and early 80's model RCA that works like a charm. Have another RCA that is about 15 years newer that I have had since it was brand new. Got a free Mitsubishi 32" a few summers back off the side of the road (weighs a ton!!) Got my wife's Magnavox TV/VCR combo that she got before we were married, and most recently got my sisters 27" Sanyo this past summer for free. I'm a sucker for a free working CRT to say the least.

Craziest thing happened. Before I contacted the seller of that Sony, I contacted a seller of a Philips 21" 201B monitor, but after a few messages he stopped responding, but now is back saying he had a health issue, so I can now grab that monitor too for 20 euros.

I think I'll grab both and use the one I like best and then keep the other one in storage. Anyone know the best way to safekeep a CRT in a garage without humidity or mould creeping in?

By the way, this Philips monitor is not flat but does 2048x1536 at 60hz and 1600x1200 at 85hz! I'll see if I can get 1920x1440 at 70-75hz from it. I hope I can grab it soon.

I do actually like CRT for some games/systems, but for general computing I find LCD screens are much easier on my eyes. I still play my Gamecube on my trusty CRT TV because I like how it looks more than on my LCD TV that I use for Netflix, etc.

In terms of storing anything in a garage that needs to avoid humidity/mould, the easiest and best way is to simply not store it in a garage at all. Garages aren't a super great place to keep electronics in general. However if you need to keep it there, put it in an area off the floor and away from doors if possible. Make sure there aren't any leaky roofs and damp walls near where you're storing it. If you can find a plastic tub with a snug lid that's big enough to fit the CRT definitely put it in there, and put a few big silica gel packs to absorb any moisture. If it's sitting long-term, make sure you re-dry the gel every few months in the oven or microwave (lots of info on the net about that).

Edited by TPA5

I was using a Silicon Graphics monitor for quite a while (until the power switch started to flake out).

Currently, my main CRT monitor is a big-ass Viewsonic. .

Generally, the gradient from white to black on a CRT is better than on an LCD. LCDs tend to crush the black (or near-black) levels on shaded details.

On the TV side, one's a plasma and the other is a Sony CRT. Both are good in their own way.

Edited by Nebulon

I was thinking of wrapping the thing in clingfilm and putting it above the floor if possible, maybe with some gel packs if I can find some.

CRTs are hard on my eyes if they're at 60hz, 70hz is my minimum for comfortable viewing.

The deal fell through as you mentioned, but for posterities sake I just wanted to mention that wrapping it in cling film could end up damaging the electronics. Moisture can get trapped in-between the cling film and the monitor and actually encourage mould and corrosion. If you did want to ever wrap something like that up, butchers paper works great because it breathes and is tough.

But, like you said the deal fell through so it doesn't matter. Still, the Sony Multisync you have is really nice!

• Like 1

You guys should visit my part of town, people here are still disposing of good CRTs. I don't know where the hell they come from but seems like and endless source. And of all places, in the Jewel food store parking lot, there were two shopping carts. Each containing some sort of Sony flat screen. And an unknown box on the bottom of one cart with what looked like a clump of cables or wires. Just sitting there all day. I swear that every model of every brand has done curb time in our town.

I was lucky this Sony was selling close enough for me to drive to, but the most I see are 17" and 15" monitors being sold.

Oh and I just found out the Sony does 2048x1536@60hz despite not being able to correctly display 1920x1440. It's a crazy resolution but sadly 60hz is too low. Still impressive though.

CRTs also rock for modern console gaming too- I use my 360 on a 2006 Samsung flatscreen HDCRT at 720p via HDMI and it looks amazing! The very last batches of CRT sets had HDMI connectors in them, and the picture looks incredible thanks to being able to take advantage of the best of both CRTs and HD via HDMI.

I spent too much time playing a 360 through composite when I knew nothing about scart rgb nor hooking up the console through VGA, what dark ages those were. Those fonts were unreadable.

Speaking of fonts, I disabled the smooth font option on Win7 and did the cleartype test again. Now the letters look great and sharp.

Edited by AtticGamer
  • Like 1

I have a small storage room with a pile of CRTs in it. I'm quite happy that I do.

I love the look of classic systems on CRTs (with their scan lines), and quality CRTs, to boot. Save 'em while you can, if you have the space. If you haven't the space, then you have no choice but to let 'em go. Otherwise, save 'em!!!! They're great!

I suppose this is age-related (as in I'm middle-aged), but I just love the specific look of CRTs on classic systems. Accordingly, Xbox 360/PS3 (etc.) or anything newer *naturally* requires HDMI-to-LCD, and looks great. But the old systems, I love the scanlines, I love the proper aspect ratio with no "scaling" issues, and I love the glowing phosphor dots on the CRT. Call me "Grandpa," eh?

When I play a classic system on one of my modern (LCD) sets, I almost feel like I'm playing an emulator on my PC. Silly old man, am I. Love me some CRT action for older systems. Love scanlines and glowing phosphor dots. Love that there's no "delay" like there sometimes is when playing old systems on new (LCD) monitors.

• Like 1

I had an awesome RCA 27" 720P flatscreen (3/4 unfortunately) It was AWESOME!! I loved it, but when my 360S died and I got an E series, I gave it away because it didn't have an HDMI port (and no options to use any other video than generic AV, microsofts cheap asses :x ) I was bummed about that, but eh, oh well. I now have a smaller TV I play on, but I'll take being able to see what I'm looking at over a bigger image any day.

Still, I'll get good CRTS (or even cheap ones, for sale purposes) And I'm hoping to find a good 720 with HDMI and maybe even a widescreen variety. Of course, my old 27 was like 100 pounds (literally) and the case was coming apart. Still, the picture is absolutely wonderful on those.

I suppose this is age-related (as in I'm middle-aged), but I just love the specific look of CRTs on classic systems. Accordingly, Xbox 360/PS3 (etc.) or anything newer *naturally* requires HDMI-to-LCD, and looks great. But the old systems, I love the scanlines, I love the proper aspect ratio with no "scaling" issues, and I love the glowing phosphor dots on the CRT. Call me "Grandpa," eh?

When I play a classic system on one of my modern (LCD) sets, I almost feel like I'm playing an emulator on my PC. Silly old man, am I. Love me some CRT action for older systems. Love scanlines and glowing phosphor dots. Love that there's no "delay" like there sometimes is when playing old systems on new (LCD) monitors.

Try a HD CRT; I hook up ALL my consoles to a Sony WEGA CRT that can go all the way up to 1080i. I lose out on the scanlines, but the screen display is beautiful, even with the older consoles.

• Like 1