IGNORED

New to the 8 bit Atari computers

Goddy

Hi all its a very nice forum you have here :thumbsup:

I was wonder if I can get some help I bought a few days ago a cheap Atari 600XL it works brilliant it also came with a SIO2SD I have done some googling and read a few forums and I think I am very limited to what I can run with only 16k correct ?.
I have tried to run some software on the SIO2SD I have got the SD card setup ok I tried to load Dropzone and a few others but no go I guess it needs more than 16k so can anyone recommend a game that will run on 16k using the SIO2SD or am I limited to the cart games till I get my 600XL upgraded with more memory.

Thanks
Goddy :)

Thanks for the help :)

That mod doesn't look to hard to do my soldering skills are ok but I will get some practice in before I try it out I followed a Ebay link from the post that Atari8warz put up for me cheers for that too and I just want to make sure that these are ok to use

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-TMS4464-10NL-DIP-18-x4-Page-Mode-DRAM/271387430539?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3De12867072746431c8cc51f61ac1e96a4%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D261078481809

Yes, they're good. My originals were TMS4416-15 (150ms), these are 100ms so they will be just fine. Just remember it will take nearly a month (sometimes even more) to get'em from HK or CN and reading vendor's eBay feedback carefully always helps. Also, I checked this particular listing and seen they charge shipping and still have a long handling time, you may want to find a listing with free shipping so that if the chips are bad you can get a full refund. Lot of people from CN and HK ship free with the same shipping time. Just a point to consider.

Edited by atari8warez

I done a memory test on it by typing bye then return on the basic screen when I powered it up pays to read the manual :) it does only have 16k I guess the person I bought it off just gave up on it he did tell me it was only a 16k machine

Super easy to upgrade, and cheap. I did two of them recently by following directions here. Memory chips are available cheap on Ebay.

If you really want to do a good mod on the 600XL (NTSC only) you can add the missing components to add a real monitor port.