IGNORED

Ralph H. Baer Passes Away at 92

Albert

I'm heartbroken, but only because I would have wanted him to live to 192. He did live a good long life, and in the last decade of his life finally started receiving the true recognition (right up to the POTUS) he deserved as the inventor of video games as we know them. I have a copy of his book and I enjoyed it so much I gave it to my dad to read as well. R.I.P. Mr. Baer.

RIP, Mr. Baer, and thank you for your pioneering work in creating an industry that has brought so many hours of joy to generations of game players.

I've been meaning to pick up a copy of his book (published by Leonard Herman and Rolenta Press), and I'm sorry now that I didn't do so while he was still living. Here is a direct link.

I still don't think this man gets enough credit as others, many who are mistakenly given the title of "Father of Video Games". Only one book even mentioned him that I read back in the mid 80s (wish I still had it!) but even in the late 90s he wasn't that well known for his contributions. And he lived until a ripe old age, which is great to hear. RIP Ralph Baer.

I wish this profile by PBS was longer.

After a lifelong love of electronics, the father of video games practically went out with a soldering iron in his hand. That is deeply moving and inspirational to me. Thank-you for sharing this video.

We just lost a good one.

Very sad to hear that! I had a lot of email contact with him in the late 90s and early 00s. He invited me to his place several times but I didn't have the money to fly to the USA back then. It's a pity that I never was able to meet him in person.

What I have is a signed copy of his book "Videogames In The Beginning" and a signed prototype copy of his Pinball game for the Odyssey2.

Without Ralph Baer, my life since 1982 would have been a completely different one, with much less fun, much less excitement.

So thank you very much and R.I.P.

Edited by ccc---
  • Like 3