IGNORED

The Sega Control Stick - Why is it backwards?

Zap!

While I haven't used one in a long time, I remember as a kid really liking the Control Stick. I'm probably a bit of an oddball though, cause I also didn't mind the 7800 joysticks either. To me, the Control Stick was natural progression from the 2600 joystick, just beefier. For the record, I'm a right handed person also.

What did you love about it? All the games I played needed quick, precise directional control entry. That slippy little pad didn't do that at all. I did like the turbo, but that's like perfume on a pig: pointless, because the pad was so useless.

What games did you like with it?...the only one I can imagine was a fit for it was Marble Madness, and we also played Jackal with it. Only for the turbo, however.

I beat Abadox with the NES Max once and couldn't do it with another controller.

• Like 1

I only had the original NES pad and the Max. With the Max, you could press on the outer rim for the directions and it was a little more precise than the cross. I would end up using the outer rim of the pad more than the slidey part, but it didn't have as much give, and it really hurt my thumb after a while. I got the the point where I would only do that if I REALLY needed the turbo.

I've never used the Sega Control Stick, but I instantly thought of After Burner when I saw it. Seems like it would be tough to use for anything else. Is button #1 also on the stick? It doesn't match AB arcade which used a triggered flight stick and a two way handle for the throttle.

What did you love about it? All the games I played needed quick, precise directional control entry. That slippy little pad didn't do that at all. I did like the turbo, but that's like perfume on a pig: pointless, because the pad was so useless.

What games did you like with it?...the only one I can imagine was a fit for it was Marble Madness, and we also played Jackal with it. Only for the turbo, however.

The NES Max was one of the most (if not the most) polarizing controllers I have seen in video gaming, and I've been gaming since the '70's. You either love the controller or despise it. Count me in the love camp. It always felt very accurate to me, and I was a huge fan of the turbo buttons. I loved playing many games on it, especially games where turbo greatly helps you out, such as Track N' Field.

Beating Abadox with any joystick is an accomplishment. I haven't played it in decades but when I did beat it, I'm pretty sure it was out of spite.

The Max had some great things going for it. Were it not for the slider gimmick, had they just put in a nice comfy D-Pad (maybe a big bigger, round like a Genesis pad) I would have friggin' loved it.

I was an Advantage fan, even with it's flaws.