IGNORED

Atari's original price tag

The MilkMan

I was only five when we got out our first Atari in 1977. All I remember was the excitement that Christmas when I opened it up and started playing Combat against my father. I can say that my 5200 was 249.99 b/c that still has the original price sticker on it from Child World.

I'm pretty sure I remember it going for $249.99 until after Crristmas in 1980. I think it dropped by $100, down to $149.99 sometime in 1981. That was when I struck a bargain :D at the now defunct Woolco for a sixer including only Combat. I purchased Space Invaders for $24.95 that day from Sears because Woolco was SOLD OUT!

I don't know if I was ripped off, but I'll say it was the happiest day of my life! 8) Soon to follow were Laser Blast, Freeway, Skiing, Kaboom!, Stampeede... and the list goes on. My life was never to be dull again as long as I had access to my Atari!!! :!: :!: :!: Ahh, the memories. :idea:

The $150 mark rings a bell. I can recall a mom and pop video store having a sign up in their window when the price dropped. There were also selling Star Raiders when it was new for $168 because of the "valuable" controller that came with it. I can't imainge that they sold a whole lot at that price... I held out 'til I picked mine up at Zayre for .99.

Mine cost $199 Aus when the australian $ was worth something. It came with space invaders and a promo deal where you sent off the form and received 6 titles,,, Which turned up when i was skipping school on a "sick" day. It was a vader i think and also broke down the first day i had it.