IGNORED

Telengard vs. Temple of Apshai

On the Atari 800 it was no contest, Apshai was better. Telengard had basic ASCII text as its 'graphics'.............the C64 version made a few years later looked much better.

I first played Telengard on my neighbors C64 and had fun with it - there is a strange balance of power where you could easily die moment from moment in Telengard - I couldnt wait to find it on my Atari 800. I didnt get to try it until 20 years later and though it played the same, it looked like junk :P

I have that issue!

Telengard certainly has its charms, but I vastly preferred Apshai (see my profile pic). I certainly put a lot more time into the Apshai series. I don't think I played Telengard until later, and then on PC, so I'm comparing my c64 Apshai experiences to CGA PC, which isn't totally fair.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I suppose they're superficially similar like many dungeon crawl-type games from that era, e.g., Rogue, Gemstone Warrior, Sword of Kadash, etc., but I somehow think of them as very different games underneath. What's interesting is that both Telengard and Temple of Apshai started out as or were featured on platforms with text-based graphics (only Apshai received a significant overhaul from its original versions), so I suppose on even that basis - since their gameplay could be reproduced on systems with severely limited audio-visuals - they were more alike than not.

I somehow think of them as very different games underneath
Yeah, IMHO they're the same genre, but still unique games. I always liked that Apshai had descriptions of the rooms in the manual. It added a little flair.

I haven't played Telengard in a long time, but I remember dying a lot. :/