IGNORED

"TEMPEST" for Atari 5200

PECOS BILL

Or if you are lucky enough to have that version on a multicart or a home brew rom dump on a cart

The game is not complete, there is no collision avoidance, so you really don't die. All the main elements are there, and the graphics and sounds are dead on. Too bad they really never finished this and released a final version. It was even supposed to support the trak ball, but the proto rom doesn't.

quote:

Originally posted by PECOS BILL:

Has anyone ever heard of a "Tempest" cart for the Atari 5200?

Hi Pecos Bill, and welcome to AtariAge!

Since your question has already been answered, I'll ask a question myself. I'm curious why you're asking about Tempest for the 5200. Were you hoping to play Tempest on the 5200, or do you know someone who claims to have a (prototype) cart? It's too bad Atari didn't finish Tempest, as it would have made a great addition to the 5200 library. With Trak-Ball support, it probably would have played quite well. Oh well, I guess there's always MAME!

..Al

Albert- Thanks for the welcome to Atari Age!

Yes, I am hoping to play Tempest on my Atari 5200. It is my all time favorite arcade game. I've acually been tempted to look for and buy an upright coin-op of it. I know that it does exist in an unfinished state on ROM. But I was hoping that there was a way to get a 5200 unit cartridge.

Thanks to all of you for your replies!

I wish someone would take the prototype binary file and add collision detection and trackball support to it. Heard the original programmer might do it as a courtesy but that was over a year ago.

It should be easier than writing a game from scratch, and people are doing that.

quote:

Originally posted by DEBRO:

Has anyone got the ROM image to work on Atari800WinPlus? It keeps crashing my emulator. I'm assuming this is happening because the ROM is 16K but I'm not sure.

You assume correctly, at least for the Atari800 DOS version (the Windows version acts up on me so I don't use it much). If your ROM is called TEMPEST.BIN, then type this at an MS-DOS prompt to get a 32k copy:

COPY /B TEMPEST.BIN + TEMPEST.BIN TEMPEST2.BIN

Then run TEMPEST2.BIN. The playfield isn't showing up for me in Atari800. Use Dan B's emulator to see that (and it will work with the plain 16k ROM).

calamari

Is the current version of Tempest on Sean's Multi-Cart? Okay, okay, I'll go grab mine and take a look... Nope, it's on there. I got this copy at CGE2K1, I wonder if Sean included it with carts produced later. I'll have to ask him.

Long ago I had a coin-op version of Tempest, but I sold it after I dropped out of school and moved back to Connecticut (couldn't afford to rent a truck or trailer to drag it back to CT with me). I'm still kicking myself from selling it. Someday I must acquiret another.

And what the heck is a 10" disk? Weren't the big floppies 8"?

..Al

quote:

If your ROM is called TEMPEST.BIN, then type this at an MS-DOS prompt to get a 32k copy:

COPY /B TEMPEST.BIN + TEMPEST.BIN TEMPEST2.BIN

Thanks, that did it

I wish someone would take the prototype binary file and add collision detection and trackball support to it.

Does this version not have trak-ball support? I'm running it in an emulator and not on the real console but it looks as if the trak-ball support is there.

Hmm... Must be 8" since I can't find any reference to 10" on the web. Still, it's 2.75 more inches than my drive can handle...

The newest version of Sean's multi-cart will include all the known prototypes. I have no idea when he'll be selling it.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by PECOS BILL:

Has anyone ever heard of a "Tempest" cart for the Atari 5200?

Pecos,

I have a good friend who goes by Voltman3 who burned a Tempest EPROM, put it in a cart, and sent me one. I've played it on my 5200 console, it's beautiful. He could probably do it again. By the way, I did killer artwork for a Tempest box and label, looks like the authentic item.

TunnelRunner

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: TunnelRunner ]

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Hmm... Must be 8" since I can't find any reference to 10" on the web. Still, it's 2.75 more inches than my drive can handle...

The newest version of Sean's multi-cart will include all the known prototypes. I have no idea when he'll be selling it.

Tempest

No, You were correct in assuming there's a 10" drive they were on it last legs when I came onto the computer scene. The disk even held less info. then the 8" one. We used to play frisbee with them.

I know John Hardie has one (I nearly tripped over it at his house), and Curt Vendel has one. I don't know who has the other two that I know of.

The last one I saw on Ebay (about two years ago) went for about $800. I imagine it would go for more today.

Tempest