IGNORED

What Computer games are you currently playing?

cimerians

• 2 weeks later...

Shadowrun Returns is glorious. The expansion Dragonfall recently received a stand-alone Director's Cut that revamps the UI and makes it more user friendly. And the mods. There are so many fun mods out there.

I've only just bought Iceland Dale Enhanced Edition. I was disappointed that they didn't have a battle mode like Black Pits from the Baldur's Gate games but they added a "story mode" that gives all your characters 25 Strength and invincibility. It is pretty LOL

Fiddling with the kits has been fun but I just made my default all-dwarf party so my choices of classes are limited. Wish they would have used 3rd Edition rules from Icewind Dale II

• Like 1

I was looking at Duke 3D on Steam. Now I don't use Steam so I know little about it, but is it possible to d'l something and transfer it, D3D to a PC that is not connected to the internet? Or must the steam client be installed and connected all the time?

Steam is required, although you might be able to swap out the files in the download to something like a shareware or other client for older stuff like Duke3D, doom, heretic, etc. I see http://www.eduke32.com/ might be a candidate for that. Not sure though, never actually done it myself.

Steam has an offline mode that I've used but I haven't left it offline for all that long, not sure how long it lasts between logins. I know it used to sort of lockout after a while.

• Like 1

Yes. I think I'll continue my Duke3D activities with the original files, add-on packs, dosbox, and Eduke32. Can't stand DRM and server check-ins.

Right, I'd think GoG would be the way to go over steam with older games any day. I say that as a Steam fan. Just not for everything.

GoG does everything right. You get a locker to redownload your content. The installers you download are DRM free so you can backup and store them as you like. Their installers include all the stuff you need to boot older games on newer systems, including DOSBox emulation, etc.

When I'm looking for something, GoG is usually the first place I check.

• Like 1

I'm playing through Shadowrun Returns...finally. I actually bought Shadowrun Returns on the day it launched. Excellent game.

I'm playing Shadowrun Dragonfall...on easy, just hoping it doesn't matter in the long run. :P

Fiddling with the kits has been fun but I just made my default all-dwarf party so my choices of classes are limited. Wish they would have used 3rd Edition rules from Icewind Dale II

3rd edition was made for videogames. :) Although I prefer the more simple 1st and OD&D stuff in real life, it would be nice to see 3rd in some of these older games. We converted a bunch of old modules years ago to play using 3rd. Lots of fun but lots of work.

Also playing Pixeljunk Monsters and Cat Goes Fishing.

I'm a 2E man myself. I really like the source material for OD&D and I've got a physical copy of the Rules Cyclopedia but having tried to play it straight out, my group and I have found it almost unplayable at the lower levels. It is absolutely brutal. 3E is ok for tabletop but I prefer systems that don't involve so much micromanaging of skills and abilities

OTOH it is great in video games. I could spend hours doing strange stuff in Iceland Dale 2.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I've picked Diablo III back up. I was vaguely familiar with the Seasons concept, but I finally tried it now that Season 2 has started and WOW! Is it great. I've gotten sucked back in all over again.

I rolled a Barb and it has been a blast having to redo everything from the ground up. Love the idea that when the season ends, whatever Paragon levels I accumulate will roll into my main account.

I've been playing Shadowrun Dragonfall.

I'm going to get Shadowrun Online this week, which I noticed has been renamed Shadowrun Chronicles. Has anyone played this? I know it is still early access version but it already looks good to me.

• Like 1

I've been playing Shadowrun Dragonfall.

I'm going to get Shadowrun Online this week, which I noticed has been renamed Shadowrun Chronicles. Has anyone played this? I know it is still early access version but it already looks good to me.

I'm playing that too, its easy to get into but I'm not familiar with the RPG it's based on so sometimes I'm looking stuff up. One thing though, do the choices you make affect anything at all? Sometimes I'm hesitant on how to answer thinking it may make a difference later on.....