IGNORED

No love for the Magnavox Odyssey 2

SSG

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Odyssey 2. Last time I played one was in the local Twin Fair Department store, I would say 1981. Cant belive how nice and clear the RF picture looks, it really is amazing. I also think the joysticks have real nice feel, I really like the tension the sticks have on them, they dont feel all lose and sloppy. I do think I will mod it so I can remove the contollers or also use other ones if I would like like. I really dont like attached controllers on anything. Got K C Munchkin with it, what a great game. Really puts Pac Man to shame on the 2600. Cant wait to find some other games for it like Demmon Attack.

Forrest

Just got my Odyssey 2. Last time I played one was in the local Twin Fair Department store, I would say 1981. Cant belive how nice and clear the RF picture looks, it really is amazing. I also think the joysticks have real nice feel, I really like the tension the sticks have on them, they dont feel all lose and sloppy. I do think I will mod it so I can remove the contollers or also use other ones if I would like like. I really dont like attached controllers on anything. Got K C Munchkin with it, what a great game. Really puts Pac Man to shame on the 2600. Cant wait to find some other games for it like Demmon Attack.

Forrest

It is always nice to get the original games, but there is also nothing wrong with a nice flashcart:

http://youtu.be/NUe_C_bwI-Q

or multicart:

http://youtu.be/aJQVSkGr3eA

:-D

I would also recommend Googling around for an Odyssey 2 multicart. I bought one a year ago from Classic Game Creations (John Dondzila).

Unfortuantely I don't think he is offering them anymore... but they really add a lot of depth to your Odyssey 2 gaming for a relatively low cost.

I would also recommend Googling around for an Odyssey 2 multicart. I bought one a year ago from Classic Game Creations (John Dondzila).

Unfortuantely I don't think he is offering them anymore... but they really add a lot of depth to your Odyssey 2 gaming for a relatively low cost.

I know people that asked René to put them on the list for the 2nd run of the flashcart. I am not 100% sure but according to my latest knowledge that should still be possible. Just mail him.

And please better don´t Google around, you will only find super expensive offers on eBay, the John Dondzilla multicart will be available at http://www.packratvg.com/

, but it still might take some time until they will be re-released. Or ask John if he still has a few left, but I think he might not sell them anymore.

Edited by vectrexroli

I got an o2 back in the 90's. It was quiet a bit of fun for a short time. Got about 20 games with it, but I just never had any real love for it. Sure, it had potential, I could see the games pushing more sprites without flickering, but that was using sprites built in, and the age really showed. I love the stick, often thought about hacking it to work with the 2600, yeah, I know, blasphemy LOL. The picture was the clearest of any of the early consoles (except maybe some of the pongs) no fuzz at all, but then, I could usually get a clear pic out of any system. It's just that, the background was severely lacking in most games. Maybe I never had the right ones, but I loved atari's multi colored sprites, and bright vibrant backgrounds, and as the systems aged, atari just got better, but the O2 seems to have just stalled out.

Anyhow, still have it around here somewhere, got a second console, the same 20 games (one was conquest which I really liked, but getting someone that will play both old games, and that type of combat game is impossible in this neck of the woods)

One of these days, I may dig it back out and see what's up with it.