IGNORED

Orders for Sys-Check II (PCB w/ parts only) accepted

tf_hh

The device doesn't have to be vertical, Juergen added an extra row of holes so that a header/ribbon cable can be used instead. This information isn't included in the building instructions, but that is the intent of the middle row of holes for the PBI connection.

• Like 2

Hi,

Here's the probably not too common sight of Sys-Check running on a 1200XL:

And the resulting RAM test failure!

post-21964-0-00295400-1425419554.jpg

Nothing marked in red, however. The machine has Ultimate 1MB... I have no idea what bearing that might have.

Unfortunately I didn´t own a 1200 XL. Hard to get here in germany and mostly totally overpriced.

The result depends on the interaction with U1MB. This behavior appears on all installations I´ve tested Sys-Check together with an U1MB. Maybe the source of this effect depends on the total emulation of the MMU by U1MB. I think in some cases the draining-down of REFresh will not be processed by U1MB, because normally this should not happen. Same effects sometimes appears with the Turbo Freezer, which also doesn´t work together with an U1MB equipped computer in *some* cases.

This is the reason why I prefer to deactivate/built-off some big expansions like U1MB if the computer is really dead... ;-)

BR, Juergen

The device doesn't have to be vertical, Juergen added an extra row of holes so that a header/ribbon cable can be used instead. This information isn't included in the building instructions, but that is the intent of the middle row of holes for the PBI connection.

You are right!

I simply forgot. Well... that's cool!

Hi,

Unfortunately I didn´t own a 1200 XL. Hard to get here in germany and mostly totally overpriced.

The result depends on the interaction with U1MB. This behavior appears on all installations I´ve tested Sys-Check together with an U1MB. Maybe the source of this effect depends on the total emulation of the MMU by U1MB. I think in some cases the draining-down of REFresh will not be processed by U1MB, because normally this should not happen. Same effects sometimes appears with the Turbo Freezer, which also doesn´t work together with an U1MB equipped computer in *some* cases.

This is the reason why I prefer to deactivate/built-off some big expansions like U1MB if the computer is really dead... ;-)

BR, Juergen

Thanks for the info. The test seems to pass on an Ultimate equipped XE, but in any case this is no problem at all. Busy testing your flasher now, pending additions to UFlash. I reflashed the stock XE ROM slot last night using your software and the machine hangs now: I need to take the flash ROM out and inspect the contents to see what I've done wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. The test seems to pass on an Ultimate equipped XE, but in any case this is no problem at all. Busy testing your flasher now, pending additions to UFlash. I reflashed the stock XE ROM slot last night using your software and the machine hangs now: I need to take the flash ROM out and inspect the contents to see what I've done wrong.

It may be a naive question, but... Shouldn't Ultimate / Incognito Users be capable of performing such similar diagnostics, directly from these boards with special Diag. code flashed to any available OS slot?

Just wondering...

Hi,

I got a lot of feedback about successful assembly of the Sys-Check kit - thanks again.

But... no feedback until now for the flasher software. I´m curious about results... has anybody use it? Usage is clear, something wrong? Or has it works as intended?

Regards, Juergen

Hi,

I don't understand. The 1200XL has no PBI / ECI port. Maybe a cart to ECI or something?

That´s not the point. I have ALL different models of XL/XE in NTSC, PAL or SECAM at home. Also some rare versions like 65XE with "900 XL" marked PCB, without ECI but PAL (and PAL from factory - not additional soldered the needed parts in after manufacturing the whole device).

Except the 1200XL - this is the only one I haven´t. I wish one for a long time to be complete and to test my hardware experiments also on a 1200XL. But 100 euros and more is to much. That´s it :)

BR, Juergen

Edited by tf_hh

I flashed the ROM using my Eprom burner... till now I had no reason to flash it again, but I'll test it soon for you, and give report.

From the moment I have successfully assembled one of my Sys-Check II pcb's, it's been in use EVERY DAY! So I can try the flasher ....

Greetz

M.

• Like 1

Hi,

That´s not the point. I have ALL different models of XL/XE in NTSC, PAL or SECAM at home. Also some rare versions like 65XE with "900 XL" marked PCB, without ECI but PAL (and PAL from factory - not additional soldered the needed parts in after manufacturing the whole device).

Except the 1200XL - this is the only one I haven´t. I wish one for a long time to be complete and to test my hardware experiments also on a 1200XL. But 100 euros and more is to much. That´s it :)

BR, Juergen

I see. Sorry I can't help you. My grandson I gave the pick of any Atari he wanted, and he chose my second 1200xl. So I only have one. I'd be happy to test anything I can.

I haven't tried flashing my Syscheck II. It has, I guess, the latest/best firmware already on it. I used it to test my two problem 800xl boards. It did some interesting

work, but I guess it isn't the memory or ROM. I am hoping that more LSI testing might come in the future. I enjoy it, it is fantastic device.

I'm afraid to go swapping chips for fear of ruining my working 800xls. I priced a CO61618 MMU, $14! from BEST.

Edited by russg
  • Like 1

Just now got mine and not opened package yet..

All okay and I did flash my favorite Modified OS rom to the 4th slot in the Sys-check after fumbling around with the dip switches. Slot 4 , but you say something about flashing both slots and the flasher didn't give me this option.. Other wise all my 600xl are now tested and all my 130xe are tested One broken 800xl I just get a black screen (or dark green)

@ tf_hh says

When you burn any operating system into one slot, it´s a good idea to copy it into the unused area also.

Best regards, Juergen

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 1

Hi,

All okay and I did flash my favorite Modified OS rom to the 4th slot in the Sys-check after fumbling around with the dip switches. Slot 4 , but you say something about flashing both slots and the flasher didn't give me this option.. Other wise all my 600xl are now tested and all my 130xe are tested One broken 800xl I just get a black screen (or dark green)

@ tf_hh says

When you burn any operating system into one slot, it´s a good idea to copy it into the unused area also.

Sorry, documentation is not my best side :P

The Sys-Check flasher flashes actually only 16K firmware/OS versions and always write them twice into on 32K physical slot. As long there´s no 32K Sys-Check firmware this is enough, when I make such a big new firmware, a new flasher will come :)

BR, Juergen

Hi,

I have a few kits left. If you want one, please write to tf_hh@gmx.de

Also post me your country and state for calculating shipping costs.

Best regards, Juergen

sorry i cant be able to purchase, really no time from work and family to dedicate to atari but thank you for your reply.

Hello, I assembled my syscheck II, everything went together well.

I tested it on a working 130xe, with U1mb, vbxe, simple stereo. It shows I have U9, u10, U13 and U15 all bad. I think the machine is running fine, I tried swapping out U9 and U10, with U11 and U12. still shows problem at u9, u10, u13, and u15.

This is with U1mb settings all set to stock.

This is the only machine I have tested it on so far, so not sure if it is indeed my 130xe memory or something I did wrong in building my syscheck II

The 130xe seems to run fine even though syscheck says I have 4 bad chips, any recommendations on software that would prove/disprove the chips listed as bad above?

• Like 1

Hi,

Hello, I assembled my syscheck II, everything went together well.

This is with U1mb settings all set to stock.

This is the only machine I have tested it on so far, so not sure if it is indeed my 130xe memory or something I did wrong in building my syscheck II

Thanks for feedback. As I noticed in the technical manual, it´s not recommanded to use Sys-Check together with an U1MB. The reason is the kind of low-level access both expansion do to the whole system. It MUST cause problems. On the other way, there´s no need to use Sys-Check on an U1MB equipped Atari XL/XE really... ;)

So it´s always better to use Sys-Check on systems without U1MB. When you want to do diagnostics on a dead computer with U1MB, it´s the best way to deactivate U1MB first. Detach the both ribbon cables, just plug in old MMU and OS-ROM and system should start, if the U1MB is the source of trouble. Otherwise THEN Sys-Check may be attached to search for bad RAM and so on.

BR, Juergen

• Like 2

Thank you tf_hh, I should have read the manual first ;-) , That is what I what I usually turn to when I cannot figure something out. :grin:

I was also a little scared to test it, afraid I may have soldered something wrong or had a tiny short someplace that would destroy my Atari. So, I just had to plug it in and see what happened. It came up to the memory test screen immediately.

I was also testing my VBXE with a new monitor at the same time. I had my 1084s connected to the monitor port and a VGA connected to the VBXE/XRGB3 output at the same time.

The screen from the Atari monitor port showed the suspect memory locations in red, but on the VBXE the red is not displayed. Just noted this in the case other might only be using vbxe only as thier output.

Robert