IGNORED

Stella 4.5 released

stephena

Just a short notice: when using Direct3D or Software as rendering Method, the Games become unplayable slow on my System (about half of the correct Speed). Using OpenGL doesn't produce that Error.

(Win7 Home Premium, Intel onboard Graphics GMA950, Intel Atom SingleCore 230 1,6Ghz, 2GB RAM )

Haven't tried it on other Systems so far...

Apart from that: Thanks to Stephen for his awesome Work!!!! :)

Could something be wrong with your system? Because on significantly lesser hardware I get 100% speed, albeit higher cpu usage if using d3d. There is still some headroom though. In software I'm just getting full speed, with little to spare, provided i turn off the tv effects.

But look at my system specs.

Integrated 82855GM AGP Intel Extreme Graphics2 w/64MB shared memory

Pentium M 1.7GHz

2GB 133MHz DDR-1 RAM

Software audio

That's turn of the century technology!

Edited by Keatah

Stella 4.5 (64 bit) crashes for me when I try to create a snapshot (only with video settings Direct3D and OpenGLES, but not with Software, OpenGL or OpenGLES2). The files created have 0 bytes.

Also, when trying to change either the snapshot save or load path by clicking on the button in the tab menu, Stella freezes (independent of video settings).

Finally the size of the game saved is 576 x 420 pixel. With zoom set to 2, I would have expected 640 x something. When closely looking at the game, you can see that the pixel differ in width (see top of the trees, 3 or 4 pixel).

Any idea what's going on here?

post-45-0-41588100-1422783333_thumb.png

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just my system, but I have a few sound quirks using Stella 4.5

The classically awful Pac-Man start-up ditty sounds garbley... and Quadrun just makes an awful ringing noise (like can happen in your ears) throughout the WHOLE game...

• Like 1

I just did that.

The snapshot crash and the pixel sizes both started with 4.0.

• In 3.9.3 the crashing renderers didn't exist, but I am pretty sure that they did not always crash in 4.x when doing a snapshot. Fixed, the Intel Graphics driver was the cause, after deleting and reinstalling all snapshots work fine.
  • The pixel size problems started with 4.0 too, independent from the renderers I use. Fixed, for whatever reason (default in 3.9.3?) NTSC Aspect was set to 90. But snapshots still crashing with 100.
  • Now I have another (minor) problem: I can select OpenGLES(2) as renderers, but after selecting Stella either closes (OPENGLES2) or after reopening the menu the renderer is at Direct3D.

I don't think these are general problems. I suppose there must be some Stella configuration problem on my computer. How can I start COMPLETELY from scratch?

The Load Path button freeze started with 4.2, 4.1.1. works well.

And another problem: When enabling PAL color loss, during odd scanlines, the picture is all black. This starts with 4.0 too. The problem disappears (temporarily) when I open and close the video menu with OK. Then the screen is correctly displayed without colors. Tested with the GCC Millipede prototype title screen or while playing Panda Chase. It only seems to happen for games in PAL format (> ~290 lines)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

The list of renderers shown are all the ones that SDL knows about, not necessarily what the system supports (there's no way currently to list only relevant ones). So if you select one that doesn't exist, it will default to the main one. For Windows this is Direct3D. So that's working properly, if somewhat confusingly.

For the snapshot load/save path issue, can you forward/post your stella.ini file?

I have to look into the PAL colour-loss issue too; I've never of that one before.

Maybe it's just my system, but I have a few sound quirks using Stella 4.5

The classically awful Pac-Man start-up ditty sounds garbley... and Quadrun just makes an awful ringing noise (like can happen in your ears) throughout the WHOLE game...

I've heard the Quadrun constant ringing sound (although not recently), but I haven't been able to track down why it happens only on certain systems. Perhaps play with the 'Audio Settings' to see if it makes any difference (and if it does, please let me know what changes you made).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Another new year, another release of Stella. The new version is 4.5...

As usual, Stella can be downloaded from here, and donations are welcome here. Any bug reports or feedback can be in this thread or by PM. Happy New Year to everyone.

Stella: Easily the most pain-free, easy to configure, easy to run emulator EVER. IMO the gold standard to which all other emus should measure against.

THANK YOU for such an awesome, wonderful thing.

Edited by Rotgut
  • Like 1