IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2015 (Season 8)

It's time for the times... eugh, I need to stop trying to put silly stuff at the top of the post

Compucolor 8001:

Star Trek - 50 minutes

Intellivision:

Christmas Carol - 75 minutes

Night Stalker - 10 minutes

NES:

The Battle for Olympus - 25 minutes

PC-Engine:

Die Hard - 30 minutes

Sharp X68000:

Cameltry - 20 minutes

Well, I'd say it was an overall OK week for me. I played with the Compucolor a bit more, the NES was played, and Cameltry got more time from me. Die Hard on the PC engine got some playtime, and man did I forget how much I loved that game. I also did play a bit of Christmas Carol, and I did get some OK scores, but I forgot to take screenshots of my scores to post so I was kicking myself hard for that - I need to start posting again! Other than all that, the week was good 'n stuff.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 3

My times for the week:

Intellivision:
USCF Chess - 9 min.
Vectrex:
Minestorm - 15 min.
Game Boy:
Baseball - 16 min.
Casper - 60 min.
Fist of the North Star - 22 min.
Hatris - 43 min.
Heiankyo Alien - 38 min.
Kung Fu Master - 15 min.
Nobunaga's Ambition - 41 min.
Street Fighter II - 19 min.
Sega CD:
Crime Patrol - 358 min.
Beat Crime Patrol on Wimp and Easy difficulties at the start of the week; Difficult awaits.
I also beat a ton of Game Boy games this week, the majority of which I've beaten before. Fist of the North Star and Heiankyo Alien have no difficulty settings, and Hatris was beaten on the hardest settings, but Casper, Kung Fu Master, Nobunaga's Ambition, and Street Fighter II were all beaten on lower settings (Medium, Easy, Level 1 of 3, and 1-star, respectively).
I was shocked that Nobunaga's Ambition went so quickly -- it's far more simplistic than the other Koei games I've played. I've owned a complete copy for a year or two, but only now did I finally get around to playing it.
I also played and won a quick game of USCF Chess, and deliberately lost a second one with Fool's Mate, just to remind myself of whether the game has any music (it doesn't). And around the edges, I played a couple short sessions of Minestorm, but a combination of rusty skills and a sticky controller button kept me from getting far.
  • Like 5

^^ The Gameboy version of Nobunaga's Ambition is by far, the easiest port. Try the full versions on Sega, SNES, or even NES. The GB port is only about 1/4 of the game. it was also the first GB game I ever beat.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 2

^^ The Gameboy version of Nobunaga's Ambition is by far, the easiest port. Try the full versions on Sega, SNES, or even NES. The GB port is only about 1/4 of the game. it was also the first GB game I ever beat.

Yeah, I kinda figured as much. :) I've never really played the other versions, though I own the Genesis game and both SNES games. That said, I put enough time into ROTK on the NES (and Gemfire, Genghis Khan II, and Operation Europe on the Genesis) to get a feel for the standard Koei approach, and Nobunaga NES has been on my list of games to play for a while.

But I expected Nobunaga GB to at least offer some of the same experience. I wonder why Koei had to cut the game down so massively? Probably ROM space or RAM, I'm guessing, since the Game Boy is otherwise perfectly capable of handling that kind of game. Cool that it was the first GB game you ever beat -- I certainly never expected to beat a Koei game in under an hour!

• Like 2

No picture or writeup today since I'm feeling really crappy and don't have the energy to do either, but here's my household's playtime for the week at least. Maybe I'll do a proper writeup later when I get feeling better. :)

Ineligible

Doom II (Game Boy Advance) - 54 minutes

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS) - 163 minutes

Mario Kart: Super Circuit (Game Boy Advance) - 153 minutes

Arcade

Centipede - 9 minutes

Donkey Kong - 8 minutes

Frogger - 15 minutes

Galaga - 9 minutes

Millipede - 14 minutes

Pac-Man - 13 minutes

Space Invaders - 4 minutes

Game Boy Color

Monopoly - 517 minutes

SWiV - 72 minutes

MS-DOS

Wolfenstein 3D (played on Wolfenstein 3D for Game Boy Advance) - 23 minutes

PlayStation

Alien Trilogy - 129 minutes

Tomb Raider III - 250 minutes

Total Play Time This Week

1,433 minutes (23 hours 53 minutes)

Individual System Play Times This Week

Game Boy Color: 589 minutes

PlayStation: 379 minutes

Game Boy Advance: 207

Nintendo DS: 163 minutes

Arcade: 72 minutes

MS-DOS: 23 minutes

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 52, running from December 21 - 27. We logged 8205 minutes of eligible playtime, playing 77 games on a total of 24 systems.

Top 10:

1. Christmas Carol vs. the Ghost of Christmas Presents (Intellivision) - 3630

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 587

3. Monopoly (Game Boy Color) - 517

4. Crime Patrol (Sega CD) - 358

5. Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) - 250

6. Beef Drop (Atari 7800) - 202

7. Xmas Time (Atari 7800) - 200

8. Q*bert (NES/Famicom) - 187

9. Copter Command (Intellivision) - 160

10. Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (Atari 2600) - 155

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Christmas Carol vs. the Ghost of Christmas Presents (Intellivision) - 3630

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 587

3. Beef Drop (Atari 7800) - 202

4. Xmas Time (Atari 7800) - 200

5. Copter Command (Intellivision) - 160

6. Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (Atari 2600) - 155

7. Q*Bert's Qubes (Arcade) - 152

8. Missile Command (Atari 5200) - 130

9. Knightmare (ColecoVision) - 120

10. St. Nick (TI-99/4A) - 65

Top 10 systems:

1. Intellivision (3915)

2. Atari 2600 (742)

3. Game Boy Color (517)

4. Arcade (469)

5. Atari 7800 (402)

6. PlayStation (379)

7. Sega CD (358)

8. Game Boy (326)

9. NES/Famicom (232)

10. ColecoVision (140)

Christmas Carol gets the three-peat at #1, winning all three charts by a titanic margin.

But even bigger news: it's now become our #2 game of all-time, unseating Galaxian for the Atari 2600 by a margin of less than 50 minutes (11,487 minutes vs. 11,445). Christmas Carol is also only the third game ever to join the 10,000 minute club. Wow!

Unsurprisingly, the big numbers for Carol help to make Week 52 one of our biggest weeks ever, coming in at #6 in the all-time Top 10.

No other milestones to report -- except, of course, the approaching end of the year. We'll treat the last 4 days of 2015 as a shortened Week 53, so please post by 3:00 p.m. on Friday, and then I'll post the usual year-end summaries on January 1st, 2016. Until then!

• Like 7

I don't know if I'll get any additional time in before tomorrow, so I'll post now.

TI-99/4A

Arcturus: 35 minutes

Attack of the Creepers: 10 minutes

Congo Bongo: 5 minutes

Break Thru: 5 minutes

Flappy Bird: 40 minutes (this was my oldest son playing)

Espial: 20 minutes

Nonogram: 70 minutes

• Like 4

Times!

Compucolor 8001:

Star Trek - 30 minutes

Dreamcast:

Resident Evil CODE Veronica - 75 minutes

Vigilante 8: Second Offense - 50 minutes

Intellivision:

Christmas Carol - 110 minutes

PC (DOS):

Duke Nukem 3D - 120 minutes

Star Wars: Dark Forces - 60 minutes

Sharp X68000:

Cameltry - 15 minutes

Daimakaimura - 50 minutes

Well, I did some stuff for the week. I got two new Dreamcast games (the ones I posted times for) and a boxed VMU so I pulled the thing out and found out how much fun the Dreamcast is again for me. Carol got a bit of time, I may be posting a score tonight from my phone if I can remember to take a screenshot with my darned phone. The X68000 got a bit of playime with Cameltry and Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'n Ghosts). Duke Nukem 3D and Dark Forces got some playtime 'cause I grabbed them off the shelf, and that's pretty much it.

• Like 2

Happy New Year to you as well! :)

My times for the shortened week:

Genesis:
The Smurfs 2 [The Smurfs Travel the World] - 73 min.

Sega CD:

AH-3 Thunderstrike - 34 min.

Crime Patrol - 210 min.
NFL's Greatest: San Francisco vs. Dallas 1978-1993 - 18 min.

N64:
Centre Court Tennis - 288 min.

Beat Crime Patrol and NFL's Greatest, the former on Hard after beating Wimp and Easy difficulty in previous weeks. Thoughts on those here.

I also beat Centre Court Tennis on Easy difficulty, or at least I think I did -- I won all four tournaments and reached #1 in the world, but it didn't give me any special sequence for doing so (though each tournament gave me a victory sequence). I also got top score in all four of the game's minigames.

Otherwise I got through the first continent in Smurfs 2, only to be reminded of why I always bail on this game -- unlike the SMS version, you have to complete two continents before getting a password. Such a silly time-wasting tactic!

• Like 4

Time to wrap up the year with the two games I've been playing the most lately! Here's my play times for the shortened final week of 2015. :)

Game Boy Color
Monopoly - 391 minutes

PlayStation
Tomb Raider III - 329 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
720 minutes (12 hours 0 minutes)

Individual System Play Times This Week
Game Boy Color: 391 minutes
PlayStation: 329 minutes

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

These are my times for the shortened past week (December 28th through 31st)...

Apple II:

Kubit - 7 min.

Arcade:

Q*bert - 56 min. in 2 sessions

Splash - 13 min.

PC:

J-Bird - 224 min. in 8 sessions

Online (non-eligible):

Nonogram of the week - 105 min.

I had my last sessions with J-Bird, but I'm think I'm finished with it now. For comparison, I played the arcade original of Q*bert twice and got surprisingly far, ending somewhere in Level 6 both times. After that I tried an Apple II clone of Q*bert, Cubit, which is described as being close to the arcade, but this is far from the truth. The colors don't match up with the original at all which is no wonder with the Apple II's limitations, but even the main character changes color depending on where it is. The enemies are very slow at the start, but then suddenly change to several times the original speed, which makes them faster as the main character... which is just frustrating. That's why I didn't play this one for too long.

Then I had a short session with "Splash", a game I used to play back in the early 90's when I used to regularly visit the arcade, but I only played a single game of it, making the conclusion I had come far enough into the game not to have to play it once more.

Apart from that, I tried to solve the Nonogram of the week two times, but failed both times.

I hope I don't post too late... I know you said 10 a.m., and it's 4 p.m. here. Sadly I failed to do it yesterday.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 4