IGNORED

Wonder if this will ever be found

Bryan

Just read this in an interview with Doug Neubauer (author of Star Raiders):

After the Atari 800 came out, I wrote a pong game which tried to use every feature in the 800. The technicians used it as a diagnostic.

I wonder if any copies of this survived.

• Like 3

which tried to use every feature in the 800.

That's a cool expression, since the atari 800 can virtually do anything. I think people in the early 80's would be surprised if they would be able to see at THAT DATE what the 8bit is really capable too.

How cool would that be… using a travel machine and show fabulous demo's and games from today, somewhere in 1982 or so...

What would that do with the atari sales?

• Like 1

Nice find and it would be great, if even just more information on it turned up.

I'd of been interested to see how he planned to use 'every feature' of the hardware, with regards to taking Pong and turning it into something special.As Bill said, great as the 'find' is, Doug's statement is on 'that' side of vague, it leaves a lot open to speculation as to what was meant exactly.

Still, that does'nt take away from a superb find.

That's a cool expression, since the atari 800 can virtually do anything. I think people in the early 80's would be surprised if they would be able to see at THAT DATE what the 8bit is really capable too.

How cool would that be… using a travel machine and show fabulous demo's and games from today, somewhere in 1982 or so...

What would that do with the atari sales?

I hear ya. I do. But undoubtedly there have since been some nice demos and such written for other platforms of the day too.

You would have thought that considering the author an item like this would have been all around Atari and as it was used as an engineers test demo it would have leaked..

Surely someone must have this bit of software..Especially as Atari was well known (definitely in the UK) for its products falling out the back door early..

• Like 1

I'm surprised it didn't get released through APX. Atari was looking to increase their software numbers and tried to publish as much software through APX as possible.If it was a decent program they added it to the APX catalog. If you look at the early APX titles, you can see they were done by Atari programmers like Bob Polero, Dennis Koble, David Crane, Bob Smith and Robert Zdybel. If this was such a great game why didn't they add it to the APX catalog? Hopefully it will turn up one day.

Allan

• Like 1

A Pong game that uses plenty of features could probably be done in well under 1K - it might be that it was thought to be insignificant.

Plus... it's Pong. The last thing Atari computers needed at that time was belittlement in the form of revisiting the simplistic games of their early times.

I'm now wondering if this wasn't a bit of sarcasm by Doug, the great Star Raiders creator writes a Pong game that tried to use all the features of an 800, a game so complex they used it as a diagnostic tool?

Does this sound like a Pong game to anyone?

I think Doug was leg pulling..Would explain why its never been seen in the wild as well.

• Like 1

You would have thought that considering the author an item like this would have been all around Atari and as it was used as an engineers test demo it would have leaked..

Surely someone must have this bit of software..Especially as Atari was well known (definitely in the UK) for its products falling out the back door early..

That's not entirely accurate [at least not for Atari Inc in the US]. The 3 fire button/3 base Missile Command for A8 that Dan Kramer and other Atari Inc engineers used at HQ with their custom Trak-Balls never made it out the door. There's thought to be only 1 version on disk left today.

Edited by Lynxpro

A Pong game that uses plenty of features could probably be done in well under 1K - it might be that it was thought to be insignificant.

Plus... it's Pong. The last thing Atari computers needed at that time was belittlement in the form of revisiting the simplistic games of their early times.

https://www.atari.com/buy-games/arcade-atari-play/pong-world

Ahem.

That's not entirely accurate. The 3 fire button/3 base Missile Command for A8 that Dan Kramer and other Atari Inc engineers used at HQ with their custom Trak-Balls never made it out the door. There's thought to be only 1 version on disk left today.

Not entirely but very close to being completely accurate as far as the UK is concerned, I could name names of those responsible for certain leaks but its not my place to (and I do know who was responsible), Atari UK was a sieve with proto's and prior to release stuff falling out.

From what I was told the US side were just as bad...