IGNORED

Transferring disk from a TI to a PC

atrax27407

There is an easy and straightforward way to transferring disks from a TI to a PC (and vice-versa). You don't need an HdX or any extoic software. You just need the following:

On the TI

At least two 3.5" 720K disk drives

Archiver 3.03

PC-TRANSFER

On the PC

A USB 3.5" floppy drive

Step #1: Run the disk through Archiver on the TI. The result is an I/F128 file.

Step#2: Use PC-TRANSFER (IF128 option) to copy the file from a TI-Formatted disk to a 720K PC-Formatted disk. Despite what the docs say, PC-TRANSFER will work on a 720K PC disk. It will appear as a DOS file.

Step# 3: Once on the PC disk, simply copy the file to whatever destination you wish.

Just reverse the process to move the file back from the PC to the TI. I transferred 1000+ disks that way. It might be a bit time-consuming but it requires a minimum amount of equipment.

• Like 1

Is it safe to assume that one of the two 3.5" 720k drives on the TI side could be alternative storage, like a SCSI or IDE drive, as the target for PC TRANSFER copy?

PC TRANSFER is a program for the TI that writes to a PC formatted floppy disk. So you need a double density controller to use it, and it will only work with floppies.

You don't have to archive the files if you don't want to, it will transfer individual files of any type.

This was my transfer method of choice before I started using a CF card as hard drives for my TI & Geneve. Now I just transfer files to and from that on the PC with tiimagetool.

Gazoo

It will work with anything that that the TI recognizes as a DSDD disk including RAMdisks up to 3200 sector partitions. IPC-TRANSFER doesn't have a "Program" option so you would have to use the TIFILES option which adds a header and then use TI99Dir on the PC end. I have found that you can get about 7 archived files on each PC disk (depending on the size) before you run out of storage space.

I have made extensive use of ARCHIVER as well since I got rid of my HFDC card. Each of my HRD16 partitions is backed up as DISK4, DISK5, etc on 3.5" DSDD disks. To recover the RAMdisk completely, I just extract the files into the corresponding partition.