IGNORED

ADT-PRO

airsoftmodels

I'm rather disappointed that ADT Pro for Windows doesn't work on 98SE.

It's a matter of it being able to have prereqs enough to support Java (which isn't too hard) and the rxtx serial library (which is a little more OS-specific). Back in the olden days of yore, Sun maintained serial comms libraries for wherever their JVM ran. Now, we're not so lucky.

Any chance or consideration of porting ADTpro over to something more well-received? Something other than Java? Java, to me, is a dotcom era language.

That's the downside of you getting to use something that I built because I want it. I use Java daily at work - so it's very comfortable for me. It's very much a "today" language for me. I get threats from time to time that folks are going to port it to [insert your favorite language du jour here] but it never quite happens. So... no.

• Like 1

As long as there are freely available JRE's for the range of host systems ADTPro is intended to run on, I don't see the choice of programming language much of a matter. Actually I'm happily amazed how nicely it seems to run (*) even on a bit older XP computer, when otherwise Java apps tend to appear a little on the sluggish side.

(*) Although I have my slew of own problems, but those are attributed to other factors than that it is a Java program.