IGNORED

Oldest computer in my collection & the best Christmas gift ever!

I've been too busy to post for a little while. I work retail and the holidays are tough. Every time I see my grandfather I love telling him of my hobby. He was a Commodore man back in the 80's. He has always been a tinker and interested in amateur electronics. This Christmas he gave me something of his that he bought brand new in 1966 for $130. It took my breath away when I opened it. It is a computer by definition but not what comes to mind when you think of a computer. It is the Curta calculating machine model II. He bought it in 1966 when him and my grandmother did rally racing. My grandfather is meticulous by nature so it is of course CIB. It has the calculator, travel case, manual, a poster that is a quick reference for the different functions, and the original box. This is easily my most treasured possession. It is a marvel of mechanics and seems almost magical to me when I try to wrap my head around how it works. The story of the creation of this device seemed almost mythical when I found out it was largely engineered while it's creator Curt Herzstark was in a concentration camp. This little invention of his literally saved his life. I've posted a short video I found that gives a quick look at the device and it's history to anyone who doesn't know about it. Also some pictures of mine. To me this is one of the most beautiful objects I have ever seen. It is so much more special that it was his and not something I stumbled across while hunting in the wild.

Thanks Gramps!

20150105_222855.jpg

20150105_223141.jpg

Edited by Dripfree
  • Like 4

Things either originally owned by you or passed down in the family always have greater significance than random material bought on fleabay. Ebay stuff can become meaningful, but it takes gestation time of many years usually.

Of my entire Slide Rule collection, the one from my father is the most valuable...

MarkO