• Atari Lynx
    • ColecoVision (Pac-Man Collection)
    • Commodore 64
    • NES (Namco)
    • NES (Tengen)
    • Sega Game Gear
    • Other (post)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Another in our "Best Home Version?" series this time for Mrs. Ms. Pac-Man. The kids and I played all the home versions that I own (except for the Lynx and Game Gear). There are a lot of ports for Ms. Pac-Man so hopefully I covered most of them in the poll. Choose "other" and post what your favorite version if it's not listed.

Some comments:

- I was surprised at how slow the 8-bit version of Ms. Pac-Man starts out on the first screen.

- I still play the Atari 2600 version. Although it is inferior in graphics and sound compared to versions released for advanced systems it is still a fun game to play.

- The Atari 7800 version is really nice. But, it's even nicer to play it on Pac-Man Collection - at least you have the option of turning on Turbo mode.

- I love the Commodore 64 version. It may not look as good as Opcode's release for the ColecoVision, but it just plays exceptionally well. It's really going to be tough for me to choose between the C64 and ColecoVision version. The C64 version is definitely one of the best released.

Atari 2600

http://youtu.be/JJbxD-18-vs

Atari 5200

http://youtu.be/BQSqOYpPxM8

Atari 7800

http://youtu.be/hjhBRgYr-tw

Atari 8-bit

http://youtu.be/vegM8jwaMNw

ColecoVision

http://youtu.be/Mp_XTci7mzM

Commodore 64

http://youtu.be/nROfJl9GZlg

NES (Namco)

http://youtu.be/rNSZ1cwsC9U

Time's yours...

The Atari 7800 and Commodore 64 versions come to mind, but then I remembered the Tengen version for NES. For my money it's the best original-release Ms. Pac-Man game, especially with the Advantage joystick.

I can't really think of a "bad" version, though. Maybe a couple versions that are "less good" but still great.

If forced to pick just one, I must pick Opcode's effort in the ColecoVision Pac-Man Collection. Really, though, there aren't a whole lot of bad versions of Ms. Pac-Man out there. I actually like the 8-bit computer versions the least, because they all have something about them that annoys me, even if only a little: the C-64 and Apple II versions don't have the greatest sound (too high-pitched on the Commodore, technically impressive but rather harsh on the Apple) and the Atari 8-bit version doesn't have random fruit following the banana level. The 2600 and 7800 versions are great for what they are, PacManPlus's other 7800 versions also really shine, and Tengen's ports for the Master System, NES, Genesis and SNES are cool for those looking for tons of extras, but in the end, I still give the edge to the ColecoVision port. You just can't top a port that uses the original arcade code.

On topic, I'm partial to the C64 & TI-99 (not mentioned yet) versions:

...and still enjoy the 2600 version immensely. One of the handful of games that always seem to get played when I'm in a 2600 mood.

Not familiar with the Opcode stuff on Colecovision, but wish all versions of Ms. Pac offered turbo speed up with the press of the fire button. Saw that option a lot in the arcades, so always miss it in the home versions.

Haven't played the 7800 version in a long time, so checked out the video. There's something unnatural about the way she gobbles dots - Reminded me of Jr. Pac-Man.

Oh and any version of Ms. Pac-Man that scrolls the maze ala Jr., absolutely stinks IMO!

• Like 1

What's the criteria for selection? Because if I had my druthers, I'd pick the version of Ms. Pac-Man on Namco Museum for the Game Boy Advance. It feels very much like the original and in scroll mode looks pretty much just like the arcade game. Where emulation is concerned, Namco Museum Battle Collection for the PSP is king (er, queen). Other "emulations" on the Playstation, N64, and Dreamcast look like a freshly dropped turd but the version of Ms. Pac-Man on NMBC is flawless.

If you're talking pre-NES then I'd have to give that honor to Pac-Man Collection on the ColecoVision. It pretty much wins by default, using the same code as the arcade game and looking as close as could be expected given the system's color and resolution. Most other ports are lousy, if I may be brutally honest. The NES game by Namco is horrible beyond belief and the one by Tengen is fun, but pretty far from an accurate conversion thanks to the new levels. The Lynx version is loved by many but looks hilariously primitive in my opinion.

Genesis (Tengen) or SNES (Williams); same diff as they're identical afaict; they're obviously the NES version with spruced-up graphics.

They aren't identical. SNES has sounds closer to arcade and turbo and harder modes seem to be a bit slower.

The Atari 8 bit/5200 version is my favorite port. It has quite a bit intact from the arcade and gets some things right that later ports got wrong. I disagree about it being slow. The way Ms. Pac-Man slows when she eats dots is a bit choppy, making the game seem slower than it actually is. The ghosts and everything else move fast. At least she slows down when she eats dots like she's supposed to. The movement of the ghosts and mazes are close to the arcade, so I found the videos to be disappointing.

Dispite not being the most accurate port, I like the GB/GBC Ms. Pac-Man myself. Sounds are off, but I like how it has a harder mode, has all of the arcade mazes, and keeps the challenge intact. I heard NES and GG ones are very similar, but the GBC one at least fixes the colors.

I voted for Pac-Man Collection CV since it's the closest to the arcade. The 7800 PMC version, especially in the later small dots rev, is even better than the original 7800 version.

Edited by BrianC

Since i have not received my Intellivision version yet i can't truly compare yet. ;)

But my all time favorite so far is the 7800 version. I love how fast it is right off the bat. Most others don't get fast until later.

I recently got the Pac-Man collection for the 7800 but my power supply went bad so i hadn't had a chance to play it yet. But luckily i just got a new adapter finally like a week ago and need to pop this is in finally.

I have not tried many versions yet, 2600, 7800, Genesis, and any of the many Namco collections. Would like to get the Nes Tengen version eventually. I did not have money the last time the Colecovision version was for sale. Wonder if that will ever be released again?