IGNORED

Can someone tell me what this is?

kennerguy66

So I picked up a Genesis 2 at the Goodwill a while back, intending to re-sell it. (It also had a 32x attached for no added price).

I decided to pull it out again and remembered that I was confused by this thing.

Basically it's something that slides onto the expansion port, but I have no idea what it is. It doesn't go to a model 1, it fits the port perfectly fine but doesn't fit flush with the system.

There is no serial number or writing anywhere on the thing. I assume it's absolutely nothing and serves no function, but does it have a name? Can anyone tell me what the hell it is?

post-40674-0-19057100-1420604973_thumb.jpg

post-40674-0-67698400-1420604978_thumb.jpg

post-40674-0-40828700-1420604988_thumb.jpg

SOLVED

I decided to look again after seeing your post and I solved it. I decided to take the two screws out of it and there was writing on a little board in it. It said: "PC BD Extension Board Sega 1994" with a few serial numbers. I did a search and found a few people talking about it on forums from about 7 years ago.

Turns out the piece is called a, '32X Extension Unit'. It appears to be only for the VA0 Genesis model 2. It claims that you need to plug it in when hooking up the 32X if you don't have a Sega CD.

Someone claims it's a 'terminator bracket', and that it probably improves grounding for FCC approval. Also, some 32X games could crash without it.

So it looks like some came with 32Xs, but I have a boxed 32X that didn't have one. There's one on ebay for 15 bucks if anyone wants it.

Sega is still weirding me out with accessories 20 years later haha.

Edited by kennerguy66
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So it looks like some came with 32Xs, but I have a boxed 32X that didn't have one. There's one on ebay for 15 bucks if anyone wants it.

I bought a 32X new when they were on clearance. Mine didn't come with one of these. I wonder if it had to be bought separately. I have a model 1 Genesis, so I wouldn't have needed it.

• 4 years later...

Necrobump incoming.

I got one of these with my Genesis/32x today.  This thread came up when trying to figure out what it is.  And also I found this reddit post.

"The "extension unit" unit won't solve your problem. Most people don't understand what this was. It's just a piece that caps off the extension slot on the Genesis. It literally does nothing. Only first run 32X units even included it. Sega threw it in to get FCC approval. The FCC later approved 32X to work without the dongle, so units stopped coming with it. It literally does nothing."

Weirdly the system only came with the one power supply.  I do have another genesis+segacd, and at some point bought a PSU that would cover all three of them.  I haven't used that yet since it said it required the 32x to be plugged in, or some cap on it, and since I didn't have the cap, it's sat in a bag.  Will have to give it a shot.

On 1/7/2015 at 1:22 AM, kennerguy66 said:

SOLVED

I decided to look again after seeing your post and I solved it. I decided to take the two screws out of it and there was writing on a little board in it. It said: "PC BD Extension Board Sega 1994" with a few serial numbers. I did a search and found a few people talking about it on forums from about 7 years ago.

Turns out the piece is called a, '32X Extension Unit'. It appears to be only for the VA0 Genesis model 2. It claims that you need to plug it in when hooking up the 32X if you don't have a Sega CD.

Someone claims it's a 'terminator bracket', and that it probably improves grounding for FCC approval. Also, some 32X games could crash without it.

Sega is still weirding me out with accessories 20 years later haha.

Yes this is indeed what it is. Very unique and hard to find item as well.