IGNORED

Atari 7800 Pit Fighter: Hot or not?

Mister-VCS

UK-mag "retro Gamer" (issue 137, page 75) reads: "..it does show a lot of promise with the large sprites and well-drawn backdrop. A real shame it wasn't

finished."

atariprotos.com reads: "...the 7800 was capable of much better than this. Not only are the characters puny and bland, but they all look alike! Atari wisely decided

to stop development of this title."

each its own?

Pit Fighter on Genesis/SNES looked abysmal, 7800 version was a lost cause.

SNES is far worse than the Genesis version, which is one of the only decent ports of a game that wasn't that hot to begin with. 7800 proto doesn't sound good from what I heard about it.

SNES is far worse than the Genesis version, which is one of the only decent ports of a game that wasn't that hot to begin with. 7800 proto doesn't sound good from what I heard about it.

They're equally garbage if you ask me. It's one of the worst console games I've ever witnessed. Impressively done on the Lynx, but still a bad game.

Third in the same trend with Shawn and Tempest. My personal opinion on the original Arcade game is it's pretty bad. An Atari 7800 port would be horrible.

Although large sprites can be handled well on the 7800, large digital live actor sprites via blue-screen process featuring poor animation and controls...Yuck. It's a game I'm glad never saw completion.

Shame though, as mentioned, it looks more like Double Dragon and would have been a nice replacement or alternative as a similar fighter, if it was developed further and of course, finished. Especially considering how badly the graphics are botched on the official 7800 DD, to say the least. A port of Renegade would have been sweet as well.

In response to your question Mister-VCS...Not.

One thing to keep in mind is that the proto of Pit Fighter we have is pretty early. It might have gotten better as it was developed, but it was never going to be 'good'. No home version of the game does the arcade version justice.

Absolutely. We're looking at Atari G1 hardware. Separate sound processor, and just focusing on the CPU, a 68000 @ 14.31818 MHz. The Genesis is roughly half that. Forget about anything 8-bit.

The Arcade game was released in Summer of 1990, and I found it less than appealing (Read 'bad'). Many, I know, enjoyed it though. About six months later we saw Street Fighter II (Fantastic in comparison), and Pit Fighter was all but forgotten about.

One thing to keep in mind is that the proto of Pit Fighter we have is pretty early. It might have gotten better as it was developed, but it was never going to be 'good'. No home version of the game does the arcade version justice.

But......it wasn't much longer before Mortal Kombat debuted, using the same type of digitized graphics, and ran fine on 16-bit consoles.

• Like 1

But......it wasn't much longer before Mortal Kombat debuted, using the same type of digitized graphics, and ran fine on 16-bit consoles.

Mortal Kombat would have looked like ass on the 7800 too.

I wasn't saying that it was impossible for Pit Fighter to have a good home port (well not on the 7800). I'm just saying that all the home ports sucked for some reason.

Different line of Arcade hardware though. MK (II), like NBA Jam (TE) [which I recall also did well on the Genesis and SNES], runs on a T/Y-Unit, i.e. TMS34010 @ 6.25 MHz. Though you can't just compare MHz Vs MHz necessarily because of the other tech details of the chips, the development team(s) may have found or had a better process for porting those Arcade titles over.

They're equally garbage if you ask me. It's one of the worst console games I've ever witnessed. Impressively done on the Lynx, but still a bad game.

No, the SNES version is far worse. Unlike the Genesis version, you can elbow the opponent without even hitting them. Genesis version is far more playable than the SNES version. Genesis version has much better hit detection and gameplay. I don't feel Pit Fighter is a good game in any form, but I highly disagree that the SNES and Genesis versions are equally bad.

Edited by BrianC

The Amstrad CPC version has similar graphics, although only one background colour:

http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=1645

I suppose you're aware of some other 8-bit ports, which may or may not be better to compare the 7800 with:

Master System (Europe/Brazil): http://www.smstributes.co.uk/getinfo.asp?gameid=32

Commodore 64: http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=1946

The Amstrad CPC version has similar graphics, although only one background colour:

http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=1645

I suppose you're aware of some other 8-bit ports, which may or may not be better to compare the 7800 with:

Master System (Europe/Brazil): http://www.smstributes.co.uk/getinfo.asp?gameid=32

Commodore 64: http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=1946

Wow I thought the CPC was capable of more than that. Yuck!

The C64 and Master System versions are on par with what the 7800 version was shaping up to look like. I don't know if they really count as Pit Fighter though, they're very different looking games. Sort of how the SMS had Virtua Fighter Animation.

I actually enjoyed Pit Fighter on the Genesis back in the day. I think the main problem is that, outside of the impressive visuals for the time, Pit Fighter itself wasn't that great of a game. Regardless, it's one of those games, like Hard Drivin', that it seems doesn't really belong on 8-bit systems despite efforts to prove otherwise. With that said, Mortal Kombat is actually really impressive on the SMS/Game Gear, so perhaps it COULD have been pulled off better (and in a recognizable form) under the right circumstances. I just don't think the 7800 was that platform, though.

• Like 1

Tempest, if you browse the CPC-Power site for other fighting games, you'll find a total of 132 games of which quite a lot look much nicer than this particular one does. Many of them might play much better too, depending which type of fighting game you want to play.

Final Fight, 1991: http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=875

Shadow Dancer, 1991: http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=1911

Perhaps the market of beat 'em ups was quickly filling up, so the programmers had to rush out some games before other titles would already have met the demand.

Tempest, if you browse the CPC-Power site for other fighting games, you'll find a total of 132 games of which quite a lot look much nicer than this particular one does. Many of them might play much better too, depending which type of fighting game you want to play.

Final Fight, 1991: http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=875

Shadow Dancer, 1991: http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=1911

Perhaps the market of beat 'em ups was quickly filling up, so the programmers had to rush out some games before other titles would already have met the demand.

Pit Fighter on CPC looks like a poor Spectrum port. It's annoying when developers do that on C64, MSX, and CPC.

I'm not sure if that is the best site to check for CPC fighting games. It lumps beat 'em ups, action games, and 1 or 1 fighting games together. Shadow Dancer is the sequel to the arcade Shinobi and more of an action game. I do agree that most of those look better than Pit Fighter, though.

Edited by BrianC

Yes, I realized those three games may not be directly comparable, but in terms of amount of colourful sprites to be moved around they should be somewhat similar. See also a load of karate and boxing games.

Although quite a bit off-topic, it seemed fairly common to port ZX Spectrum games both to CPC and to a lesser amount MSX, as all three share the CPU and the latter two somewhat can simulate the Speccy graphics. Rather dull, but probably cost effective if you just wanted to churn out ports. I don't know if the same can be said about the 6502 systems, as there doesn't seem to be a popular gaming machine with similar simplistic graphic modes (Atari ][ perhaps?) to use as base.

But yes, I realize that Pit Fighter needs really big sprites, something that neither the C64, SMS or unreleased 7800 versions sported and thus it makes them look like different games. I also realize the other CPC games I linked to suffer from the same issue. When it comes to the C64 which I know best, the first fighting game I can think of that has those really big sprites is the ancient The Attack of the Phantom Karate Devils from 1983, but it still ain't no Pit Fighter. :)