IGNORED

Modern Development Tools and Workflow

I'm EXTREMELY interested in this. Are you saying I can write my code on my PC, using an IDE with all the modern coolness, and then run it on the Falcon? It sounds like you're saying I can even cross-compile on the PC side. Can you explain this more? Maybe even describe the components of a setup and a workflow to accomplish this.

Cross compilation is possible, but you have to use a very old version of GCC.

http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/

You just wrap certain functions, ie

#ifdef ATARI

gemdos(10);

#else

getchar();

#endif

And of course #define ATARI at the start of your program. (By the way, I rushed this example from memory so don't complain if it doesn't compile!) All you have to do is recompile it in AHCC or whatever.

It depends what sort of stuff you are writing. If you are doing lots of graphics, demos etc then this method won't help you a jot.

Edited by STuck

Alright. SpeedoGDOS 5 is up an running well. The only question I have left there is how to install TrueType fonts.

It depends what sort of stuff you are writing. If you are doing lots of graphics, demos etc then this method won't help you a jot.

I've decided to stick with coding directly on the Falcon. The project is a game, and I've been obsessive about working as close to the metal as possible concerning my development environment, so I guess I better stay that course.

Cross compilation is possible, but you have to use a very old version of GCC.

http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/

[...]

Actually Vincent's crosscompiler mentioned above is not that old, it is not the most recent compiler but a lot more recent than the 2.95 you get for native Atari use.

ON my Ubuntu box, I have the .debs installed:

marndt@jll:~$ m68k-atari-mint-gcc --version
m68k-atari-mint-gcc (GCC) 4.6.4 (MiNT 20130415)
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

It works well btw and should be the way to go. I combine it with Code::Blocks IDE and Cmake over here for the little Atari development I'm still doing.

I've decided to use Apex for pixels. It looks amazing, but there are a bunch of dark corners in the interface and I can't tell if they are the result of incompatibilities with my platform or a matter of my not knowing how to use the application. Does anyone have good documentation for Apex 2.41?

When I say "dark corners" I mean things that I click on and then lose my mouse cursor and can't seem to get any control back, regardless of what key I hit of the keyboard. In these cases the app appears to still be running because the mouse coordinate display continues to update, but nothing else.