IGNORED

How do you feel about that?

Gernot

OK, I'm lost. Can someone provide a TL;DR version? I can't follow what this thread is about.

I see that intvnut is responding with some technical information, but for the life of me, I can't seem to tie it to any context in this thread... :o

dZ.

OK, I'm lost. Can someone provide a TL;DR version? I can't follow what this thread is about.

I see that intvnut is responding with some technical information, but for the life of me, I can't seem to tie it to any context in this thread... :o

dZ.

What isn't this thread about? It's our own On The Road, with Gernot! :-)

RE: the PSG stuff. Gernot had complained that it's hard to mimic the PSG in other synth tools. I provided a low-level explanation of how it works.

I guess for the TL;DR on that: Tones are all pure square waves (1 or 0). Noise is also "square wave" (1 or 0). To mix tone and noise, multiply, don't add. That'll get you pretty close as a starting point.

What isn't this thread about? It's our own On The Road, with Gernot! :-)

RE: the PSG stuff. Gernot had complained that it's hard to mimic the PSG in other synth tools. I provided a low-level explanation of how it works.

I guess for the TL;DR on that: Tones are all pure square waves (1 or 0). Noise is also "square wave" (1 or 0). To mix tone and noise, multiply, don't add. That'll get you pretty close as a starting point.

I followed your post with interest; it was Germot's that I couldn't really figure out. :/

The PSG has 3 square wave oscillators and 1 noise channel. All four channels are fully digital, producing a series of 1s and 0s at a sampling rate of about 223721Hz (NTSC) or 250000 Hz (PAL). The noise channel is computed by a 17-bit Linear Feedback Shift Register with the polynomial 0x10004. All of the channels work by dividing down the incoming clock (3579545Hz for NTSC, 4000000Hz for PAL) first by 16, and again by the programmed pitch. For the noise channel, the noise pitch controls how often the LFSR advances.

The PSG lets you enable tone and noise on each channel separately. When you enable both, tone and noise get mixed multiplicatively: The output is 1 only when both the noise and the tone are both outputting 1. That is, the digital output of the channel is the Boolean AND of the tone generator for that channel and the shared noise generator.

Each of the three channels then go to a D/A converter. This D/A converter takes the volume for that channel and converts it to a logarithmic level. A digital 0 is 0 volts. A digital 1 is gets a voltage between 0 and maximum voltage based on the volume for that channel. Every two steps down halves the magnitude of the output. That is:

• 15 gives full volume (call it 1.0)
  • 14 is sqrt(2) lower than 15. (1.0 / sqrt(2) = 0.707 approx)
  • 13 is half of 15. (1.0 / 2 = 0.5)
  • 12 is 2*sqrt(2) lower than 15. (1.0 / (2*sqrt(2)) = 0.354 approx)
  • ... and so on.

The three channels then get summed together. The summing isn't quite linear either. I posted a table someone else had measured on actual silicon on this post. jzIntv doesn't actually use that table. It uses a simpler equation that seems to work well enough. (It's mostly linear except for very loud sounds.)

The most common and most noticeable inaccuracy with PSG sounds involves mixing the tone with the noise. If you just add tone and noise, you won't get the 'gritty' sounds used for things like the tanks in Armor Battle, or the really impressive bridge-explosion sounds in River Raid. They'll just sound "mushy." You actually have to multiply the noise with the tone to get the right effect.

jzIntv does compute the PSG samples at the native rate, and then uses a simple sliding window filter to average PSG samples over a window of time to output samples at more typical sound card rates. (eg. 44.1kHz, or whatever audio rate you provide jzIntv.) The window size is computed as 2 * (psg_rate / sample_rate).

That was quite informative (mind blowing to be honest)

i gues i will have to study that several times...

but thanks for the insight to that (gosh that goes nearly to far for a practical like me, also to understand technical things in a foreign language is alwas hard.

i'm used to solve problems with a wrench and a hammer, "Mario" the plumber)

But great, you're cool.

I fiddled around with MESS (and now i'm messed up),

the sound is very good in mess it surprised me,

intellivoice sounds very good (to good?), but i can't tell how accurate it is, i never had the chance to buy a intellivoice.

Customer support for "niche" products like the inty was always very bad here, if something wasn't "mainstream" it was hard to find.

Some games (or at least one) doesn't works proper, "World Cup Football (soccer)" hangs after the first half or if you scored a goal.

The "camera" to call it this, moves instead to the centreline to the opposite goal and then it hangs, i noticed it still follows the ball when it should return to the centre.

Will have to report that because that's sad for the else accurate MESS (where you have to find for the inty quite a lot dumps, but i have them complete now).

When i first stumbed over the MESS browser implementation on Archive.org i thought "argh - ugly", but that's only the browser implementation which has such a bad sound and bad controls.

They work on it, that's why MESS started the retro computing archive together with the archive.

I hope it get's better (i don't know, Bliss offers something similar),i found that cool if we could play in a browser, that's better as to compare highscores, especially because i'm a sports player or was.

Wrote that right yesterday to the one i bought me a "brand new" (looks like bought yesterday) Intellivision, it was the main reason for me to decide for the Intellivision.

Sport games on other consoles was rubbish compared to the Intellivision, imho for a long time, graphically later i.e. SEGA certainly topped it, but to play the intellivison games was better.

Not to talk about nintendos stupid sport games with their "advantage to the kid", i never liked them.

They was even biasing (is that right?), means in Soccer it was clear Germany wins, that's no game, i am a german but such is stupid.

Tennis was good for the SEGA, but Tennis is Tennis and the difference between the Intellivision Tennis and SEGA Tennis is minimal, at least to play them, certainly you could indentify "Boris Bum Bum".

Really i can't tell how many hours we spent as boys in front of the inty, countless hours, sometimes sessions longer as 24hrs, until we got nearly crazy becasuse of to less sleep.

It happened once when my best buddy left fom such a marathon to go to sleep, he returned on the next day and i was still playing.

Since i'm unemployed such happens still sometimes, to spend 36hrs in a session to create a model is not unsusual for me.

I just can't stop and if i see the model growing it's is like in a game, i like to see the next stage, to finish the model is like i have won.

I'm only satisfied when i see it running in the game.

next model ;)

That was quite informative (mind blowing to be honest)

i gues i will have to study that several times...

but thanks for the insight to that (gosh that goes nearly to far for a practical like me, also to understand technical things in a foreign language is alwas hard.

i'm used to solve problems with a wrench and a hammer, "Mario" the plumber)

But great, you're cool.

Thanks for the fine compliment. :)

I fiddled around with MESS (and now i'm messed up),

the sound is very good in mess it surprised me,

intellivoice sounds very good (to good?), but i can't tell how accurate it is, i never had the chance to buy a intellivoice.

Customer support for "niche" products like the inty was always very bad here, if something wasn't "mainstream" it was hard to find.

From what I remember, Frank Palazzolo did the Intellivision MESS driver, or at least contributed greatly to it. Frank and I reverse engineered the Intellivoice together, and so MESS's voice emulation and jzIntv's should be very close to each other. I don't remember if he used my code directly or implemented his own (I think he implemented his own), but both should be very close to what the Intellivoice does.

In MESS/MAME, that should also apply to some other games that used the SP0256 and SP0250. As I recall, MESS/MAME already had an SP0250 core, so mainly Frank had to connect the voice data from the Intellivision SP0256 to the SP0250 speech core. But, my memory's fuzzy, and I didn't do any of that work myself. Frank would have to tell you want actually happened on that side.

Some more context for the bit-heads: The SP0250 was a simple chip with a vocal tract model, and a simple hardware interface for loading voice parameters. The SP0256 (which appears in the Intellivoice) adds a sophisticated microsequencer and compressed data formats. The vocal tract model stays the same, but the data fed to it gets far more complicated by this new decoder circuitry. It's that decoder that Frank and I reverse engineered.

I actually interfaced a real Intellivoice to jzIntv through a special circuit, and analyzed it across many voice samples with an oscilloscope, both from games, and artificially constructed. That's right: You could run a voice game in jzIntv, and it'd speak on the real Intellivoice. With that and other tools, Frank and I managed to figure out about 99% of the Intellivoice's behaviors that way.

Any remaining inaccuracies in the Intellivoice emulation in jzIntv (and most possibly MESS):

• There are some really obscure corner conditions in the math. (I won't go into them here other than to say it's like rounding values up and down, only more complicated.)
  • There's an analog filter after the voice chip that provides a bass pre-emphasis, and a really sharp low pass filter cutoff at a certain frequency. jzIntv doesn't do the bass pre-emphasis, so voices sound a little thin. I know Frank wanted to model the analog section in MESS, but I don't know if he ever did.
  • There was at least one instruction set feature in the SP-0256 that we never fully reverse engineered, but no observed voice data ever used it. And that includes voice data from the Intellivision, the Odyssey2, and many, many customized versions of the voice chip, dumped by others (including Frank, as well as Kevin Horton, aka. kevtris).

On the PSG side: jzIntv owes quite a lot of its PSG accuracy to documentation and insight provided by the MESS / MAME crowd. Many arcade machines and personal computers of the 80s (such as the Atari ST line) use the AY-3-891x family PSG, and so many, many talented folk have analyzed it. I benefited from that analysis. That also explains the accurate sound you experienced in MESS for the non-Intellivoice side of things. Many of those talented people have analyzed that chip and have implemented a fairly strong version of it in MESS / MAME.

My own implementation in jzIntv is reasonably good, but I won't claim to have blazed any trails here. I really learned from those who had come before me and wrote my own implementation, with all of its own unique strengths and weaknesses.

Therefore MESS should be very strong on the PSG front. jzIntv is likely somewhat weaker, but still pretty good.

Edited by intvnut

"What isn't this thread about? It's our own On The Road, with Gernot! :-)"

oh yes!

better be aware, i'm a lunatic, totally chaotic, i switch from topic to topic as it pleases me.

You noticed that well.

It's just everything is linked in some way, you say something and several things went through my mind, not one, several.

click, click, click

It's my biggest leak but also my biggest strength.

really you se through me.

erm, yes the question sounds very familiar to me "what is this thread about?"

Swiss Cheese and Fresh Cheese, perhaps.

let's give ot a topic (at sart i just liked to present my pictures)

everything which comes to my mind losely related to Intellivision.

losely because it could happen i post a picture of a fighterplane or one of my space-ships?

good idea one of my space-ships.

You will have to forgive me i'm more addicted to Frontier and our project Pioneer as to anything else.

This is my home, the deep space.

Anything which was related to space,

i have a huge flash i guess from watching the eagle landing (even when i was only 3years old at this time and can't remember that).

In pre-school i painted pictures of let's say our future or how i imagined it with 6, everything had parabolic antennas fittet, buildings cars, just everything,

ppl asked me, "why do you attach these antennas everywhere, that makes no sense"

-

"it looks good (?)"

-

but look what happned when satellite TV came up....

phew yes and i whished i could have bought me back then all the space related games on the Intellivision.

And i guess about the unfinished "Space Shuttle" i would have flipped out!

I played that a little last week and i still think "great!", the intellivoice is used in a senseful way, not just something which is spoken,

actual advices to your mission, that's great.

Wow i even managed it for once to load the sattelite in my bay!

"Danger - space debris!"

When i see such then it's again clear to me the Intellivision was ahead of it's time.

They invented many new genres to computer games.

They searched for something which stands outside arcade games and they found it.

One can criticise "Utopia" or "Takeover" i.e. but know no other strategic simulation of this time (i said i don't know, maybe they had a paragon)

It's a genre which started for real far later, as i remember it.

No chance to buy them in Switzerland, but i know "Jürgen" & i we would have loved it, we spent later many nights on the miggy playing round based strategy games.

Still up to 2000 he came often to visit me and to play a roundbased strategy game on the A500.

We both certainly owned PC's since a while, but in his opinion the PC wasn't suitable for playing games.

Of course "Lords" we could have played as well on a PC.

Homebrew like "Colonial Conquest II" you never found on the PC PD market, or not such well made ones.

"colconq2" is for a homebrew game something outstanding and it's made in switzerland, written by a molecular-biology student.

A lot has to do with chemistry in switzerland, even me, i'm a textiletechnician, chemistry was the most important topic,

the whole chemical industry is rooted on textile industry.

And lucky me i had a good master to learn from, a academic, but one from the "old guard".

Not stiff, in no way boasting, vice versa always understating himself a little, witha good sense for humor and a broad knowledge, not only about chemistry.

Apart from that, one could have learned a lot from someone who was born before WW1.

His character was so different because in fact he would have been a poor a damned poor goat herder and this simplicity he kept.

But not that he wouldn't have made his career, wen't between the wars to central africa, to search for new plant toxics,

invented in the 60's for a local cosmetica producer the "Selgine" a toothpaste with seasalt.

But stopped his career at the cenith, as he explained me, "it's wiser to stay back and leave it to the youth, i can't match up with them anymore".

"to work as a silkscreen printer is far less stressing".

Maybe there was other reasons as well.

Not tolong ago i wanted to know what's behind "chemtrails", however debated on YT, this and that.

But then i remembered him who often warned me about the effect of so called "radicals" to our metabolism,

"on the other hand" he said "what can one do? we collect radicals in our lifetime anyway"

And i started to see that from a little different pov.

Of course i don't think chemtrails exist for real or not in the way some like to see that.

I know that the US and USSR made weather experiments since the 50's (this is danger enough to "doctor" in such a highly complex system).

But mostly i remembered him and the "radicals" which is a term that has become popular again due to the chemtrail "hoax".

But "radicals" exist, it's simplyfied said a matter which stays in your body, something you collect over the decades with food and drink.

Now by every effect they say "it's foundet on chemtrails" i know we collect "radicals" anyway and we should care more what is in our food as for chemtrails.

Readed something about the harms of fluor which was somewhat new to me, but then i even remembered that old man

I thought, "hmmm... what might have been the real reason that he left the chemical industry? could it be he was a critc to the use of fluorized toothpastes?"

Fluor is such a radical and it doesn't belongs in our metabolism, certain amounts of fluor you will collect with the food, even when you are a cow.

But "certain" amounts,

"we have no idea what it does to our metabolism in larger amounts and we used it without to make that first proof" that was his words.

(though in other terms for the chemical industry we are like white mice, let's see what happens to them")

but he usually countered this with we all have once to die, or with

"wait, just wait until that devil comes around and grabs you by the feet".

or with "never mind - c'mon we have work to do"

One could have lerned really a lot from a old academic.

His view was different, it was founded on a different time.

He was true enough to say that he was a "fan" of hitler, he said:

"we technical interested young men saw only the advance in technology compared to switzerland"

He builded a radio in a stable to listen forbidden german propaganda.

And he's one of the lesser swiss who can stay to it and say, 70% would have voted for hitler in switzerland.

Then he countered kowing that i'm a german: "germans are a warrior tribe"

See even he could jump from topic to topic.

ADHD?

certainly it existed always.

But in his generation it was unknown, just do something with them, keep them busy.

Likewise to me, it was told "nervous", that's all, to control it i was sent to gymnastics, i still profit from this, i'm quite "elastic" for my age

and yes it helped me to control it, you like to do all the crazy things you see the other kids can do, but first learn to have patience, patience with yourself.

She the teacher, repeated often "patience is like a rose".

It's foremost not wise to tell a child it has ADHD or anything on which a child can rest and think "ok i'm different, i have to accept this"

That's by far not good if it's something psychical, you rest on that and it won't get better.

If you grow up "normal" you have to compare to the others and that is only good, special treatments aren't as good as propagated imho.

My stepson was diagnosted as ADHD, but i moved heaven & hell that he had to take no medicaments, and he finished school better as the rest, i know i'm right.

My beloved daughter which i see far to less, whysoever, has a similar problem, but interesting it stops in my present, in my present she calms down.

But i also know how to take her, she's restless yes, but never force a restless to do something which isn't in his mind, let them.

We was solving maths (age of 9), which child does like that for real, i can't shut my mouth (as you noticed) though i just said something about that we are

"fur soled forest inhabitants" primates in other terms, she immediatly jumped up went to a diagram of the evolution "here that is us, primates".

Well done i said, now sit down and we solve the next one.

See instead to say you get off topic or hindering her in expressing her knowledge, i followed her and honored her for her good understanding.

That works, she never was unconcentrated, they are only unconcentrated if something is burning a hole in their brain, it has to find a way to be expressed or else it won't work well.

Recently i read a book about "Gauss" he neither was a easy characteras a child, he was extremely ahead of his comrades and felt steady underutilized.

Pretty much of the same "tribe" as i am, "niedersachse" just like pops, and how do i desribed a friend on SSC once my daddy?

"imagine him as a sort of ubergeek, hopping around in front of these giant machines (computers) in his white coat".

He truely underestimated himself, he had no idea who he was, he thought "i'm a lathe controller, who managed it to come this far" but not more.

He had offers from Xerox and Siemens, but didn't contracted, he feared the new challange, but i guess he would have mastered it with no problems.

His view to things was carved in stone, there was no "maybe".

He could get crazy when they delivered a machine to australia and packed with it only the needed screws,

"so stupid, they know they don't use metric screws, what shall they do if one gets lost and how much costs us a packet screws extra? nothing compared to a 20ton plastics injection moulding machine"

He absolutely hated this moneygreedy philosophy today, to save a few cents for screws or to take cheaper parts because you save so and so many cents.

"but they have nice signs on the office, displaying "supervisor", if they can only boast themself".

He was hated by some in the office etage and loved by all craftsmen and apprentices.

Unfortunately around 55 he had a heavy heart attack, he smoked quite a lot 3 packets a day, naked "gauloise bleu", that's a killer.

this has put him to rest for about half a year, beeing around 55, they dared to make him clear that he had to pack his bags, he was in fact fired.

The whole damned company all the workers stood up, "No, Wilhelm has to stay"! (fire one of the other idiots).

It was only possible because the "patron" had died and his sons took over and typically they grounded this industry, by wanting to much and boasting themself to much instead to do a good job.

inermission:

my master the chemicist thought quite similar, he predicted many and asked me often "do you think that can work 70% office 30% producion, it should be vice versa and it was vice versa before we had computers,

tell me son, i thought computers make everything easier and it won't need so much effort, now we have more and more working iin the office".

Should i tell you why?

No one likes to do do a hard job for little money if you can sit in a climated room and earn double, but now the craftsmen, silkscreenprinter, construction worker, NPP cleaner, geriatrics helper, carpenter

Gernot asks "is that good?" - "what do they for the product?"

There was times when craftsmen like me had all the rights, they could have come and go if it pleases them, they was not to replace and in fact we still aren't to replace,

Anyone in a office is easy to replace, the boss is easy to replace and that's why they boast themself so much, they know exactly that they arent really needed to produce.

we have the practical knowledge and without that nothing works and true how had a technician of the NASA speculated:

"i'm convinced with todays engineers we will never burn such a candle (as the Saturn V), they have no practical experience".

Without to boast, when i worked as service technician, each year a month, in a nuclear powerplant, i used to walk throgh the NPP like "scotty",

touching my machines, just to feel them working, in the beginning this tells you nothing, but over the years you will notice the slightest difference which no sensor can registrate.

Only we can feel, only we can judge, "ja hmmm... that feels strange, there is something not properly working - let's see..."

How does scotty say in StarTrek

"She doesn't feels well" - "what do you mean by she doesn't feels well?" - "She doesn't feels well"

He said that a long time before it happened, he saw that they can't or won't work they only liked the title and the money.

And what makes us really to father & son, if he started to explain something usually he started with adam&eve.

My cousin wrote to his funeral:

"When wilhelm talked about the battle of Näfels (1388) you had to fear he goes to the basement to dig out his arms and pick up his helebarde".

and if he said the swiss faught with a guerilla tactic then you HAD to believe this!

Eh, just like he would have been there and had the commando.

I still don't understand "Grid Shock", but that's ok, one has to find out what's the purpose.

I've read "vectron would have been rarely seen on a console", i was a addicted vectron player.

Reading my own post above something went through my mind,

I would love to work with children!

We had a drawer here in switzerland (he died a few years ago) which worked with and for children in the 70's (good seventies, where are the goals from then gone?)

I liked him much i guess all children like such.

It's besides something i already did as a child.

You say what you like to have painted by me,

by and by a story grows.

One starts with a dog

and then a dinosaur

maybe a duck

and someone has a crazy idea in which relation they could stand to each and the story starts, told by the children themself.

Illustrated by "Nico"

I really would love to do that, even to share my broad but not very specific or deep knowledge.

I couldn't have drawed enough dogs and cats and horses for my 4 year old girl, "paint me a dog"

and when my wife said "but that looks a bit lousy" or "i can hardly recognize that it's a dog"

she stood up and said "certainly this is a dog, can't you see"

Stop here gernot, i get a heavy heart again, it definatly hurts.

It was hard, i lost a life, besides just like in a video game we have more as one life.

I lost already two, but i have no idea how many men are left.

The first life i lost, when i turned to a convinced new evangelic, call me a idiot i can stand it.

After that i had to start a new life, i even had first to find myself again.

And that was a quite good time, i had a nice girlfriend and we stayed together for 8years,

We did alot, Tie-dying, planting, a sort of "hippie couple", i really pulled her out of darkness, she was always told to be stupid, parents, brother, teachers.

Now i don't believe someone is "stupid", we have all a talent, everyone has something special to share.

But you have to discover that and you must have the chance to discover it, but "you're stupid" prevents from having any chance.

And how she discovered it!

In efficiency she topped me by far, i'm a lazy bastard, but to her everything was fantastic and new, that's really mindblowing if you start to recognize that you have one!

Due to our activities we moved a lot of ppl and was everywhere welcome.

I was convinced and i'm still convinced,

a lot of ppl say "that was yesterday and it won't come back" (e.g. the late 60's)

But i say you have to do it, you can't buy that in a shop, you have to do it.

If you like the spirit of the 60's ok don't hesitate, live that feeling and do it, that works, you draw circles and it grows.

Yeah it starts small.

"everything which is small has to grow" (sounds right now very loud in my ears, "Led Zeppelin", i didn't need a device, just have to turn the radio on or take out the muffles, you can't have that radio always on)

somehow gernot was not outlasted, however i met this arab woman with this boy, i felt in love with her AND the boy.

Thus i quitted this wonderful friendship i had and took the heavy load and it was a heavy load.

Certainly to care for a family is hard, i had to get serious, gone was the hippie-times, even if i stayed who i am, but that's difficult.

Before Yvonne and i we was free and when we had the idea to go to Amsterdam, we went to Amsterdam.

We both earned some money and it worked well.

Concert there? let's go!

Due to that, great, it was no problem to travel to Berlin just to see Roger Waters "the Wall".

But with her and the boy i was in duty.

Didn't mattered much to me,the family started to become my one and all, my identification in life.

Apart from that, i could say i just started "experiment no2".

Yvonne never forgave me, but i made a different woman out of her, i know.

And i just saw the boy needs a orderly situation and she leaks of warmth for the boy, certainly she loved her child, she was just not able to show it.

She did things to him others i guess would have flipped out.

when she had visitors she locked him up in his room, already this is a no-go for me.

Due to that she was working until we met, he was alone at home often, taking care for the key at the age of 4 (and thats why he still is a different boy/man).

To discipline ment to lock him up again, argh.

And for how long!

I know 15 mins are a long time for a 4 year old, really, especially the 15mins you don't understand what you did wrong in your life to deserve such a hard punishment.

But she could lock him up for 3 hours! that's a eternity for a 4year old.

Though i was hoping somehow i can teach her how to show mercy and what this will change in him.

He was very agressive, no wonder who wouldn't be, in the end he was just begging for love, when he kicked you permanently.

And ceratyinly he had to learn that even i hold my love back when he kicks me.

But locking him up? yeah 15mins, but not longer, went to his room took the boy on my knees and comforted him.

after while, after while, he started to honor this, he tarted to trust me and the biggest gift i received from him was

when we was on holiday in morocco, "i guess you are more my father as my father" - wow, that's quite a compliment!

His father is from a quite wealthy swiss family, i'm just a construction worker, at least if i looked in my wallet, not much left for holidays.

His father promised him several times "i go on holiday with you", but he never kept his promise (a cashier in a reputable bank?)

I never promised such, knowing the hole in my wallet, but one summer i had a little spare and took a little in advance of my salary.

We went to morocco, relatively surprising for him, it wasn't planned since months, it was just the right moment.

To find a end to this story,

After all what went down and later the birth of my daughter i had to divorce from her.

And that was anything else as easy, neither wanted by me, but the situation asked for it, no the situation was screaming for it since a while.

I can't say exactly why this is still closed to me, i can only say her jealousy had reached a point where two can't live together anymore.

For a while you stand much and i have a thick skin.

But it can go crazy or i was going slightly nuts, but i didn't wanted to see that.

My body has seen it and first i got a disease like a arthrose, i couldn't move my hips anymore, i was like a grey with 35 and could hardly walk uphill.

But ok no matter, the construction site wasn't waiting for me "doctor i need a injection".

Thus more work.

Because i didn't listened t the signals of my body, the next problem started, woke up and i had a demobilized arm, it just didn't wanted to move anymore, was hanging down like lame.

First in the right side, ok "doctor gimme a injection", then the left side.

For my psyche it didn't looked better, it was like i had bees in my trousers, i was under high voltage, a wrong word and i exploded like a atomic bomb.

I always thought this wiil end once and that we might find a way together again.

But vice versa it was like she liked to get rid of me, but couldn't be woman enough to tell this in my face.

One day it escalated and i was already above her ready to beat her, stupidly she said "c'mon do it" like she would be waiting since long for such a situation.

A flash kazooks!

"In no way i do you this favor to beat you!"

"we are divorced from now on woman!"

there was no other way for me to handle this, i had to kill her, not for real but i had to kill her inside me.

that was when i lost life no2.

I had to leave everything behind me in which i believed, might be that was wrong, family had become a sort of religion substitute for me i guess.

I even thought about to runaway with the girl,

and this is a interesting story,

i don't believe in magic or such, but that was magic and i still don't understand how such is possible.

Like i said i was pregnant with the idea to run away with the girl and in my imagination a monastery in nepal or tibet would be the right place

where i can teach my daughter the things of which i think her mother never can teach her.

Right at this moment i met E.T. ;)

No i didn't met E.T. but it was a situation like that.

I stepped into a Bar close to where we lived,

nothing extrordinary so far,

There was a grey on a table with a half drunken beer but he certainly didn't belonged there, he was from another world.

He stood there in his traditional tibetan clothing and wearing a horn cap. No YOU don't belong here.

Freaky, he dared to ask "telephone" (dammit E.T.!) he repeated "telephone please" in broken english.

No one seemed to notice him, he was almost shouting (as far as one like him can shout), i guees three or four times he repeated this "telephone - taxi, please".

Of course i stepped up tio him and wanted to help him, unfortunatly i was out of credits, and had to ask for a telephone from the guests, they dared to hold back

and it has cost me some, i had to get loud really loud and finally the barkeeper handed me his phone.

I said no i don't need a telephone but he needs a cab, call one for him" - "are you certain he's got enough money for a cab?"

I could have slapped him in the face to ask something stupid like that, typical swiss, only in switzerland (maybe USA) it's that "Füüfliebrig" - "Silverdollarish".

Though we had some 20 minutes left to talk, the horncap and me.

He opened "a daughter belongs always to her mother"

hä?

have i heard right or do i have halluzinogations?

he repeated it because i still was bluffed.

He never saw me, i have never seen him before, he doesn't blonged to a western civ. bar and tells me this?

He said that even two or three times, his english was very bad.

Ok i just said "yes true children belong to their mothers" (even if inside a storm was raging)

then he killed me completely.

"i'm bodhisattva - you're bodhisattva"

i didnt' understood a shit and just said "m-hm"

With the knowledge i have now, i know it's a sort of greet, a good wish under buddhists.

But he insisted, it was not like a good wish, he wanted to be sure that i understand him.

But i didn't and he almost got a little angry.

I had upto this point not really a idea about what a bodhisattva is, might have it heard before but i had no specific imagination of that.

It took half a year until i told a comrade, "i feel like i'm for the last time here"

He returned "though you think you are a bodhisattva?" (i didn't think a shit my friend)

And immediatly everything was joined, it came to my mind what it means.

And still i have no idea how it's possible that someone from tibet wearing a horcap knows what was in my mind and could tell this very precise in my face.

Where did he know from i was married, nope marks of the ring i had no, i weared my ring on necklace before, because it's hindering at work if you work with steel.

Further he could have said "child" which would be still surprising, but he exactly said daughter, though where does he knows from i have children and that i have a daughter?

Third how is it possible he knew what i was up to, that he knew what was moving me, that i wanted to run away with the girl?

Really this i don't understand, there is no logical explanation to this.

(except maybe, i don't know, probably i had a neon writing on my forehead)

And it's by far not "logical" or not acceptable for me that i should be a bodhisattva.

I know some would give their life to hear somethig like that.

Some crawl three times in their life around the pamir to become half of that.

But i guess exactly that's the point which underestimate most.

To be that for real, you don't have to want it, you can't choose such neither you can work for it to reach it, what most i guess think that would be the point.

vice versa it is, the more effort you take to become one, the more unlikely you will be one.

It's in fact a matter of eager and you can become this only if you are free of eager (in this direction),

but if you like to reach a goal, if you set yourself a goal, you have eager to reach it.

Means that is ok to have some, certainly i have eager when i build a model, but that's not what i mean.

It's more that most would think it's a reward for something, but it isn't a reward.

IThat's like having freckles, you have them or not.

Edited by Gernot

There are some really obscure corner conditions in the math. (I won't go into them here other than to say it's like rounding values up and down, only more complicated.)

There was at least one instruction set feature in the SP-0256 that we never fully reverse engineered, but no observed voice data ever used it. And that includes voice data from the Intellivision, the Odyssey2, and many, many customized versions of the voice chip, dumped by others (including Frank, as well as Kevin Horton, aka. kevtris).

I would be very interested to hear more about these 2 items.

I would be very interested to hear more about these 2 items.

On the math... First up, I have to say the US Patent that describes the SP0250 vocal tract model is very informative. (Frank dug this one up and we both studied it heavily.)

Some TL;DR takeaways:

• The 12-pole IIR is built out of serial adders and serial multipliers.
  • The multipliers represent a single biquad stage, with intermediate results cycling through 6 times.
  • The serial multipliers produce a 26-bit product from an unsigned 10-bit input and a signed 16-bit. Only 16 bits of this product get retained, however, stage to stage.
  • The sign-bit of the coefficients actually controls the adder after the multiplier

So here's what I've run into that makes me think there's some strangeness above:

• Certain samples seem to have slight "pops" and other minor artifacts in jzIntv's implementation that don't show up on the real Intellivoice.
  • When I use 'Voice Tinkerer' to push the simulated Intellivoice and real Intellivoice into near oscillation and full oscillation (by parking poles right near the unit circle), I get very different results
  • When I encode new voice data, jzIntv produces the same output (so far as I can tell) regardless of what order I put the 6 biquad stages in. However, the Intellivoice really seems sensitive to the particular ordering, as I recall. (Or, maybe that was another bug that I've since fixed.)

That's the math angle.

I suspect there's some carry-over somewhere between successive computations. I experimented with what I supposed the serial multiplier might have had left over between multiplies with a software model, and while I was able to get different interesting artifacts, I never got the same as what the Intellivoice was actually doing.

On the encoding: Each opcode has a repeat count. It appears that if you sent a repeat count of 0 for a coefficient-updating opcode, that opcode turns into a NOP and has no payload. That doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't tried to fully characterize what the silicon does do here, though. I will say that I haven't seen any voice data that makes use of this feature.

Other fun things:

• The VTM described in the patent has a 'real-axis' mode that changes the interpretation of one pair of B and F coefficients. That doesn't exist in the SP0256.
  • Coefficients in the SP0250 are sign-magnitude, but in the SP0256 they're 2s complement to allow for delta updates by the microsequencer. (See the "DELTA" opcodes on my reverse engineering page.)
Edited by intvnut

intermission,

cool controllers, no? "solid state"

the device should be from edit: 1958

but what do you think, i suspect it's a replica or at least it is fixed.

because from on ca. 0:45 you see the working relais, but inbetween them i see two LEDs, am i right?

still 1958 is to early, LED haven't existed, at least not in this finalized form.

i watched it several times, but no they have no swelling, though it can't be a lamp.

Edited by Gernot

i will stick to this a little,

here comes the little green man

redshirt.gif

he will blow you down

"Space Wars"?

i hope i get this right,

quote:

"Space Wars (and further all computergames) is a great chance for worldpeace"

It was (unlike the above demo or it's predecessor) a work of Hackers, which abused a industrial technology to their own benefit,

to the benifit of humans.

It was the first time man didn't served the machine, vice versa the machine served man just for entertainment.

It's goal wasn't productivity nor financial gain.

I would like to broadcast above quote worldwide,

best i would like to exchange with this for let's say 24h the stock exchange news, worldwide on every newschannel,

which never stop even not when 1000s of ppl die caused by a catastrophe or by human blindness.

http://www.wheels.org/spacewar/stone/rolling_stone.html

Edited by Gernot

intermission,

cool controllers, no? "solid state"

the device should be from edit: 1958

but what do you think, i suspect it's a replica or at least it is fixed.

because from on ca. 0:45 you see the working relais, but inbetween them i see two LEDs, am i right?

still 1958 is to early, LED haven't existed, at least not in this finalized form.

i watched it several times, but no they have no swelling, though it can't be a lamp.

having done probably more research than most people on tennis for two i can tell you a little research will tell you the original was torn down to repurpose the parts. This one was built off of the original schematic that william higgenbotham had made. Not everything could be made exact because the original parts arent available. In the case of the leds they were most likely either to replace older bulbs that are dangerous fire hazards or to help for troubleshooting. I built a tennis for two with an atmega chip and a bunch of relays. I still have it hooked up to play whenever someone wants to see what started it all.

Respect!

(learn to read gernot)

Today i noticed i really missed a lot of occasions and things while i was lurking around in our galaxy (resp. in pioneers galaxy)

that's i.e. this occasion, which would have been in my reach:
(even if that is a few years ago but, if i remember right 2007? i guess right in this year i launched myself into space with a few models for FFED3D

but prob. i would have missed it anyway, the web content is vast and how to recognize something you don't search for?

But it's sad, daddy would still have lived and maybe this analague technique had get him a little closer to my hobby,

he never looked at "computergames" as something senseful, even when i posted above he rebuilded once a pong and a lightgun game

once he said to me "if someone had to work 30h without a pause he would say that this is slavery" and i do this voluntarily,

to script geometry is a enormous effort in time.

Steve "Coolhand", who's a freelancing modeller said once to me "i don't understand how someone can sit a whole day on something i need 5mins for"

but the goal isn't to be quick or productive when you script, i liked to learn that and also this took quite some time, certain things are still somewhat in the dark

and i guess now 1-2 years after the removed the LUA models resource from pioneer i would be able to write a library to make it somewhat easier, or i started in autumn,

but lost it because of a broken backup drive and a system failure, one misfortune isn't enough, i probably lost anything i worked out and since then i didn't even took

a look at it because it hurts me. it was anyway not clever of me. I got in contact with a dev. from australia or i have to say he got in contact with me,

it seems he likes my models and formost he understands why i see scripting as important literally he said: "youre right in every point you said, let's make a game together"

Pioneer would have been a sort of layout, but he had far higher goals and i guess that scared me a little. i know scripting will be important.

Another pro from the states started "rhodina", his idea was also that users should script their own game, but i guess it exceeds the will of a common user.

while it ins't that hard "Marcel" which is still envolved in Pioneer, had no idea about it but liked to learn it, i just said: "if i can do it you can do that as well, look it's easy")

in advance following links are in german, it's just a note

http://www.digitalbrainstorming.ch/de/programm/pias

the lecture would have been in "Bern" (switzerland)

and it was part of this german project

http://www.simulationsraum.de/blog/tag/tennis-for-two/

yesterday i found this because one on YT asked if this would be possible to rebuild

and i answered, "i assume"

thus i investigated a little further and i found the above blog

and answered "definately"

ok yes replacing bulbs, but on the other hand... bulbs?

wasn't such used (if it wasn't used as signal output) because they have a swelling and a inertia?

argh, that's near to 40years ago, but somehow i remember in certain circuits i used them... they have a certain resistance, lower if "cold" - higher if "hot",

also they have a inertia (the bulb doesn't needs to glow for this), but neither that it works like a condenser, more like a coil.

and such won't be to replace with a LED or any semicunductor.

on the other hand, one can replace in principles any diode with them, what the advantage would be...

"hey dad up in heaven, what is the advantage...."

i forgot.

safety issues is comprehensible.

what went through my mind right now,

the students in the german project had a problem,

the signal of the atari paddles they used at start in the experiment wasn't debounced,

they used even if not 100% accurate a (very early) IC to get around this problem.

but what i thought about now is, except i'm wrong, a simple bulb would do job, the inertia is to high as if a bulb could output a signal with a echo.

it's all about a few milliseconds.

but i only pointed in the sky

I better stay with my ships i guess, in this i'm far better :)

but it's a facinating thematic.

I really would have liked to be educated in electronics, but i was told i'm to bad in math's while what they ment is counting and counting can even a ostrich.

therefore they had in exactly this company soon later apprentices which played online games instead to study, well fine, right person at the right place, as always.

But i guess on the other hand it would neither have turned out well, i finished my education with a good diploma and i would have liked to work in coloristic,

means to workout the different color sets for a textile design, but who got this job? The nice of the big boss, who was educated in nothing, right person at the right place.

I "kicked them in the ass" and thought "without me, i will work on the construction site, this is at least fair money for a fair work and certainly no nice/nephew of someone gets hired

if she/he can't work".

Unfortunatly i'm born with the wrong name and the wrong nationality.

Truely, if you ask a swiss if he's against germans "no certainly not, they are not even real foreigners".

But as soon as you turn your back on them or if they don't know you are a german: "the germans take our jobs away"

And where and what do they work? the hard jobs the swiss don't like to do, on the construction site or in health care.

But i know it since i can remember, already at start of school they said to me "you have no chance, you get nowhere, because you are no swiss"

handumkehrt erm, on the other hand "germans are all nazis" that's how i grew up.

them are nationalistic as hell, but certainly i'm the nazi.

2011-02-06_165245.jpg

I guess if one asks the few friends i still have in "Pioneer", they all would say this is the best ship i ever made.

But it was my very first one, this might be rev.10 or so.

It started with a MOD for "Need for Speed High Stakes", some crazy dude made a "Need for Space" out of it and he's the only one i know who made racetracks for the game,

but the models i found a little boring, they was very low poly replicas of the "Enterprise" series, which he didn't made himself, he just altered them for his MOD.

But i never would do it in this way again, even if the result is good, it was made with "CarCAD" a very simple CAD in which you have to set each verticle by hand, resp. entering the coordinates.

But well looked far more primitive as this one, no good texture, certainly no window, cockpit, pilots and the engine pods was a "dipyramid", like for the original FE2 ship.

Well, won't see that no more in action, only in a fork of pioneer

"we don't want:

cockpits

pilots

transparent set surfaces

moving parts"

ok, fly a "shoe box"

all kinds of accusations up to that i'm a plagiator,

yes certainly i made a dozend transscriptions and i don't know 20 ships i only converted from "SW X-Wing Alliance", but never claimed they are mine.

I always noted that and for certain ships i even noted the name of the author on the skin of the ship.

I wouldn't even claim that the above design is mine, even if some of my friends would say this is certainly your design gernot, it's typical for you.

It's a Frontier ship and it stays a Frontier ship.

"We had a offer from Frontier.dev, but we had to reject it, due to that all "elite" related stuff must be removed".

But when one asked what this offer was, "it's not of interest for you".

I was going wild like a berzerk, you can imagine.

Edited by Gernot

ok, this i will have to learn here, i'm to slow for this forum ;)

(i'm used to edit posts even if they are old, but i can work with it, it's ok

there was times, sometimes i do that still when i wrote a post and later "decorated" it

that means, font sizes, colors, pictures, evtl. tables, or resources.

but here a have to take care to do all with the first post, more or less.

i understand it has a backdraw, when you can delete or re-edit posts.

Save as Draft?)

but hey that can be nice:

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/4841-play-2296-dos-games-for-free/

in frontier.forums, but that's quite a while a go

i was complimented often for my tutorials or link collections to a topic.

but i know i have here the possibility to write a blog if such is needed, which is the better option.

who let the smoke out? In case you didn't know, all electronic devices operate using smoke. You can prove this quite simply - if you let the smoke out of any electronic device, there is an incredibly high likelihood that it will no longer work. If it does still work, then there is still enough smoke left in it for it to continue operating.

m kbrd neds ma intance

Edited by Gernot