IGNORED

16" Fire Hose Extension

Omega-TI

Well, as upgrades go, it's not fancy, in fact it's meant not to be seen at all. It adds no extra capabilities, speed or anything else, but what it does do is make ones system look a little less cluttered, and even gives one a little extra room to move around.

gallery_35324_1027_1814.jpg

gallery_35324_1027_49328.jpg

So, if you too hate that monster hanging off the side of your TI, I recommend the extension cable.

The only negative I had was the little PCB that connects the fire hose to the cable was broken in two pieces, but it still works. So now everything is hidden behind the monitor.

• Like 5

Is the bus designed/dimensioned for an extention cable, or do you feel lucky that it will keep working? I know from other examples there were 3rd party cartridge expansion boxes for the C64 that came with a foot long extention cable (CardCo, if I recall correctly). Most of the simpler game cartridges work in those, but fewer of the later freezer/utility cartridges. An engineer who once worked at Commodore commented that it never was intended to connect an extention cable to the cartridge port, at least not without buffering, but perhaps the TI is more thoroughly designed in this matter.

I have a pair of these extensions cables purchased about 10 years ago and on my own TI99 and PEB had problems (freeze and other strange things) on loading some programs from Floppy Disk while without it all worked nice.... at now i never tried it again, i will do soon ;)

let us know if you have all fully working with the PEB ;)

Edited by ti99userclub

I've been using one for as long as I've had my TI (that I acquired during adulthood, not the one from my childhood) with no ill effects. According to some datasheets on ribbon cables, the average signal propagation delay for IDC ribbon cable is somewhere on the order of 1.5 ns/ft, which, when you take the inverse, translates to 667 MHz. I don't think our little 3 MHz TI is going to have a problem with that. The only issue might be voltage drop due to wire resistance, which could cause unreliable detection of logic high.