IGNORED

DAMN this would be a nice jag port ...

TXG/MNX

It is not true. It can be be fullscreen, though it is not seen in the video.

Doom levels are way more complex than AVP. There are transparencies and look-througs, animated textures, curved walls and vertically multi-leveled maps. You can also look up and down.

ok I haven't seen that. But the Falcon can't do it easily.

Road Riot 4WD is... bad. Nice graphics, livable framerate but awful controls and generally far below average gameplay. I've actually played the game (since I own a falcon instead of just having seen one) and I can tell you it's not worth the hassle.

I've played it on the Falcon and I was a big fan of the arcade original. It would be pretty cool to port it to the Jag and feature JagLink compatibility for 2-player mode like the arcade.

• Like 1

It is under development. Possibly won't be a playable Quake II, but still it is something many thought not possible.

The music is not part of the engine, the BadMood engine plays music too.

It will be very interesting to see how far he goes. Quake II maps would be very hard to make plausible. But plugging the original Quake maps in there with less geometry and I think only 256 colors might make a playable game. We shall see. That guy is absolutely amazing.

Edited by JagChris

I've played it on the Falcon and I was a big fan of the arcade original. It would be pretty cool to port it to the Jag and feature JagLink compatibility for 2-player mode like the arcade.

I was not referring to you btw, just some reviewers that gave it a 9/10 which is impossible...

• Like 1

I was not referring to you btw, just some reviewers that gave it a 9/10 which is impossible...

No worries. The Falcon version certainly blows away the abomination that is the SNES port.

There's another Atari Games/Tengen port to the Falcon that didn't make it to the Jaguar - due to the royalties dispute between Atari Corp and Atari Games - that being Steel Talons.

And there is another point. The Jag did what it did on JagDoom using a lot of C in the 68k.

This was the original statement:

There is now way a stock Falcon can do a AvP or IS2 with the same resolution/

color depth, not even close.

It is worth to take a look at the enhancements of the BadMood engine over the original one: http://devilsdoorbell.com/specialization/

This was the original statement:

It is worth to take a look at the enhancements of the BadMood engine over the original one: http://devilsdoorbell.com/specialization/

We are mis-communicating. I'm not talking about enhancements done over the original version of Doom in the Falcon port. I'm not talking about whether Duraniks statement was a 100% accurate in all situations.

I'm talking about to get the same performance out of a Falcon version of Doom to match JagDoom would be/is a lot harder to do.

We are mis-communicating. I'm not talking about enhancements done over the original version of Doom in the Falcon port. I'm not talking about whether Duraniks statement was a 100% accurate in all situations.

I'm talking about to get the same performance out of a Falcon version of Doom to match JagDoom would be/is a lot harder to do.

And I just only say, that the Falcon can go close to what AVP is on the JAG. I posted BadMood and the Q2 engines here just for proof, since both engines are more complex what is in AVP.

A admit, that BadMood has lower framerate than JagDoom, but

- still playable/enjoyable

- the engine improvements compensates this at a certain level

- there is ingame music

So I think while AVP is reachable on the Falcon, Doom is more questionable, but very close.

For anyone wondering, it appears the Mac 68K version of Duke Nukem 3D required a 68040 and 8MB RAM [16MB recommended] from what I'm finding online. Seems a little steep for the era; I would've figured a 68030 could've handled it if the code were optimized. It probably was a sloppy port.

Edited by Lynxpro

Mac games run at 640x480 or higher resolution (no 320x200) so you have to move a lot more memory around.

There were quite a few VGA game ports that allowed the Mac user to control how the 320x200 VGA screen was drawn on the Mac 640x480 display. For example, Dark Forces had options for scan-lines (skip every other line), doubled-lines (repeat every other line), a straight centered 320x200 display, or full 640x400/480 display (slowest).