IGNORED

Intellivision Revolution - Official Thread for COPTER COMMAND

Rev

Another observation.

Does anyone else remember the LONG stretch between 2007/2008 (4tris, Space Patrol) and 2011 (Donkey Kong), when there was a severe game drought? We were begging and crying for new games! (maybe not literally, or maybe so)

That "game drought" may not be ideal, but neither is releasing so many games in one year. Can't you find a happy medium?

That "game drought" may not be ideal, but neither is releasing so many games in one year. Can't you find a happy medium?

Be glad you are not a huge Colecovision fan (I think), where there are 20 to 25 new releases a year, for the last few years if I recall correctly.

No one is forcing you to buy this game Eric, go buy it for the 2600 and save yourself some money.

Yah after such a dry period I'm really happy that we're seeing all this interest in our favourite system. It's also great to see games being made by so many different programmers and producers.

That said, I'd rather we have to pick and choose or maybe not buy as many copies (that's directed at you hoarders out there) ;) versus the alternative of no games. As for a reasonable pace, I think it's safe to say that you won't be able to keep all of the people happy all of the time as we all have different circumstances around how we collect and play. Maybe with the LTO and the Hive some folks will be able to play/buy more ROM's instead of they're unable to justify buying everything that comes out. After all this hobby should be fun and not stressful.

2014 saw 8 Intellivision releases. (Not counting blix) That roughly averages out to 40.00 per month. That's not terribly bad is it? Now if a person collects for other retro gaming systems and even modern games, then serious choices will have to be made. Unless you are well off.

Who knows what all be released in 2015. Some stuff I have planned is tentative anyway.

Yah after such a dry period I'm really happy that we're seeing all this interest in our favourite system. It's also great to see games being made by so many different programmers and producers.

That said, I'd rather we have to pick and choose or maybe not buy as many copies (that's directed at you hoarders out there) ;) versus the alternative of no games. As for a reasonable pace, I think it's safe to say that you won't be able to keep all of the people happy all of the time as we all have different circumstances around how we collect and play. Maybe with the LTO and the Hive some folks will be able to play/buy more ROM's instead of they're unable to justify buying everything that comes out. After all this hobby should be fun and not stressful.

Yeah, I soon may not buy as many duplicates myself. I recently went through my homebrews and am thinning some out. I had 5 copies of several of them. Soon, maybe Ill only buy 2 copies.....First World Problems....lol

The other thing to keep in mind is that several new programmers have entered the scene, some of them will actually release stuff. I suspect the last quarter of the year will see an unbelievable number of releases not seen since the 80s. Consider yourself warned and you will have to decide what to buy just like the 80s. The difference is hopefully the LTO Flash! Or groovybee's board will let the programmers release limited demo versions to try before you buy the CIB.

The other thing to keep in mind is that several new programmers have entered the scene, some of them will actually release stuff. I suspect the last quarter of the year will see an unbelievable number of releases not seen since the 80s. Consider yourself warned and you will have to decide what to buy just like the 80s. The difference is hopefully the LTO Flash! Or groovybee's board will let the programmers release limited demo versions to try before you buy the CIB.

Oh crap! Now im siding with Eric, slow down buddy!

(Just kidding, bring it on!)

Will retro gaming see a new crash 30 years later! Oh my!

Edited by revolutionika

Rev and I both just got chubbies :)

Seriously though, there are some very talented programmers working on Inty games now and i must say I think it's really great the way all of you seem happy to help each other out when one of you is struggling with a coding problem or is just looking for feedback (turn off cheerleader mode)

:)

• Like 1

Demo versions will be coming, so long as people don't get paranoid that ROM pirates will hack out the demo code and stop buying as a result.

Yes, that last part was sarcasm. I hope.

My Demos will be physically missing level data and other stuff so they won't be hackable into full versions, basically I'll take the final game, fork it and remove a bunch of stuff for the demo.

I blame batari Basic and similar things that let unwashed commoners make console games. :D

If it wasn't for the current batch of gung-ho unwashed commoners, no one would be playing new games, the professional programmers are mostly retired. ;-)

So feel free to take a lot of the "blame" along with nanochess ;-)

• Like 1

Slow down? I have barely started! This is only my 5th game in like 2 years, maybe 1 1/2 years. I forgot.

No one is forced to buy every game that comes out. It is time to reflect and ask yourself if buying every game will bring happiness and fulfillment to your life?

I guess I should not tell you that after these two, I have plans for 4 to 6 more before the year ends. Unless I dont go crazy before that. :P

Keep em' coming Rev, as we have been warned I knew this was coming and the $$$ has already been put aside! Thank you! Wolfy

Can a game demo have a built in timer? Or be written in a way to allow a few minutes of a level? And be unhackable? Or is this a crappy idea.

The typical way of doing this is to build a separate binary (ROM) that excludes the parts you don't want to expose. For example, Christmas Carol has a bunch of data files that define the levels, and the code is constructed in such a way that it will create the data necessary for all levels found in the file (of course, with some assumptions as to the maximum numbers, etc.). If I were so inclined, I could modify the maze definition file to only have a single maze. If I re-build the program, it would then generate a ROM with a single level.

It is "unhackable" in the sense that the necessary data for the rest of the levels is not in the ROM at all, so it cannot be "unlocked."

A real example is the easter eggs in Christmas Carol. I have some conditions in my code that control the assemblage of the easter eggs. When I build the ROM for distribution, I disable the easter eggs by setting a single constant value. The result is that the game ROM is built with no code whatsoever to trigger or execute easter eggs.

However, this depends on how the game program was constructed. If you ever intend to provide "teasers" or "demos" of your games, you may want to have the programmers design their game programs to support something like this.

-dZ.